The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Argh

never mind
    Last edited by GoLightly02; Nov. 15, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
    Calm, Forward, Straight.
    http://golightlyfiction.blogspot.com/

If it bothers you all that much, decide how much it's worth to you to not be bothered, trot over with your wad of cash and make the neighbors an offer they can't refuse to purchase the horse.

Then take the horse out back someplace and shoot him.

Then you won't have to be bothered anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    If it bothers you all that much, decide how much it's worth to you to not be bothered, trot over with your wad of cash and make the neighbors an offer they can't refuse to purchase the horse.

Oh, perfect solution right there.

Wish I had a suggestion but short of revising the brillant plan above to shooting the neighbor, I am dry. Wishing you good luck in your efforts to get freedom for the old guy.

Wow. Just... Wow. to this response, and the situation.

"Humane" laws are only there to insure a minimum of care.
    Once that is there, how little or much care a horse receives is up to the owner.

If you think the horse is not getting enough care, by your standards, educate the owner, that is not doing anything against the "humane" laws, just against your standards of care.

The same applies to raising kids, what is questionable but legal, what is abusive, or to any other in our lives.

There are laws for minimums, from there on, it is up to the individuals, society and culture what is adequate and to try to help where we may think it is not enough.

Talk to the owner, don't accuse, offer help and education, since AC already said the legal minimum is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    "Humane" laws are only there to insure a minimum of care.
    Once that is there, how little or much care a horse receives is up to the owner.

If you think the horse is not getting enough care, by your standards, educate the owner, that is not doing anything against the "humane" laws, just against your standards of care.

Talk to the owner, don't accuse, offer help and education, since AC already said the legal minimum is there.

Excellent suggestion Bluey but as a follower of the writers blog, this approached failed previously. When suggestions were made on better care of a dog, it was followed by violence and death threats. Quite uncomfortable when you have to live right next door to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Readygirl View Post
    Excellent suggestion Bluey but as a follower of the writers blog, this approached failed previously. When suggestions were made on better care of a dog, it was followed by violence and death threats. Quite uncomfortable when you have to live right next door to the situation.
    Then I would suggest you ask your local police/sheriff where to go next and maybe do what they suggest?

The situation there seems to be about more than animal care.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    The situation there seems to be about more than animal care.
    Well, OP's blog is golightlyfiction, so I don't know how much faith I'd be putting in stories from that source.

I don't mean to sound like I am putting down racing because obviously I train race horses but it doesn't sound like he is kept much differently than he was when he was at the track. He may have gotten out to train once a day but he didn't have a window. I am sure he cribbed his brains out there too. As long as he looks ok weight wise and isn't up to his knees in manure I would MYOB on this one.

Well, OP's blog is golightlyfiction, so I don't know how much faith I'd be putting in stories from that source.
    Correction: The blog is Golightly Fact + Fiction.

Your faith is not necessary. The picture tells it all.

I havn't read the blog but what exactly do you what to happen in this situation? If animal control was called and didn't take him, are you willing to take the horse?

Agreed up until this:

From what I gather, the horse is in a bad situation, not ready to keel over. What would be the point of shooting an otherwise healthy horse?
    Horsey Stick Art clique
    Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
    PPP Grand-Poobah

never mind
    Last edited by GoLightly02; Nov. 15, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Calm, Forward, Straight.

Quote Originally Posted by GoLightly02 View Post

This was a vent. That's all.
    Vent away. Sometimes that's all we need.

No need to run away or apologize. Greysandbays is insufferably rude at times and you should try to disregard those comments.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

I am sorry you are going through this. I read the blog link, and I know it must be killing you to live next to this.

Is there any chance that you know someone who would be able to make an offer on the horse? They could say they were sent over by the breeder after they inquired about buying the horse, they're absolutely dying to have him, maybe make up some story about how they used to groom him at the track or something. Really lay it on thick. Maybe a couple of you could put your money together so that your friend can make a nice offer. I don't know if the crazy neighbor would take the offer, but if not, the person could try to find out what amount, if any, the neighbor would take for the horse. That will give you an idea of how feasible it would be to purchase him. Also, if you're contacted by someone interested in purchasing the horse based on your blog, you can give them an idea of how much the lady wants.

Also, definitely have your prospective buyer say, oh please take my number and if ANY chance comes up to buy him, please let me know. That way you've planted the seed and if the owner decides to let him go, she'll call you guys first.

I know it's a long shot. I also know that this horse actually is/was worth a little bit, so it's unlikely she'll sell him for any amount that you're able to scrape together, but it's worth a try.
    Last edited by lesgarcons; Apr. 18, 2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: wall of text

[clapping hands] GREAT suggestion, very helpful! I just love how thoughtful and the time you must have taken to come up with that. You are AMAZING, you have such wonderful ideas. I only wish I could become 1/4 knowlegable as you are so that one day, I too, can offer such awesome advise.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Strange days, indeed.
    Last edited by GoLightly02; Nov. 15, 2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Mentioning his PhotobucketAccount.
    Calm, Forward, Straight.

Quote Originally Posted by GoLightly02 View Post
    This neighbour has been dead-beating on her rent for years, I am praying eviction is imminent. I will be ready to help him.
    Why not contact the landlord and give them extra reason to throw the bum out? Constant cribbing and massive manure accumulation aren't good for the building, and owner may not want their name associated with cruelty/abuse complaints.

Last edited by GoLightly02; Nov. 15, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Calm, Forward, Straight.

Hounddogsrule Guest

Greysandbays,

I am not sure what you were trying to prove with the first comment you made, but if it was to prove that you are a moron, congratulations, you have succeeded admirably.

If you can't offer something positive to someone who is obviously and justifiably upset about the situation that a horse is in, here is an idea for you, SHUT IT!

Golightly,

I wish I had some great answer to give to help this horse, I don't, other than to say, let me know if you need anything. You know where to find me.