The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What kind of championship award would you like to receive with your ribbon?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo embroidered tote bag, saddle pad, fleece blanket, towel, etc.

46 46.00%
  • Engraved silver tray, bowl, frame, etc.

35 35.00%
  • Canvas chair embroidered with show logo and champion

38 38.00%
  • Other

2 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Championship Awards

The horse show awards committee has a dilemma. They have a limited budget, but would like to give awards that people want. Embroidered jackets and horse coolers are beyond the budget so let's think less expensive. Please help by answering the above poll. If you choose "Other", tell us what it might be.

I like all of them so I am obviously no help!

I still have silver trays I won as a Jr.(looong time ago) and every time I use them it brings back a good memory. One size fits all.

I'm partial to engraved silver or crystal - but only if it's decent quality. I'd rather have an embroidered saddle pad than a cheap silver something...
    Y'all ain't right!

I'm not a big fan of the personalized stuff - my taste isn't necessarily the same as the person on the awards committee who is making the choices.

Our club went back to the traditional silver/pewter stuff last year, and it was a huge hit.

I don't know where you're located, but we went to the Wilton Armetale Factory Store and got almost everything - gorgeous stuff at great prices. http://www.armetale.com/index.php?pID=6

Also got the Reserve Ch. silver plates for a great price - if you're interested I'll PM you the catalog we got them from. The were really nice for the price.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I voted for the canvas chairs. I still love to use mine that I won over ten years ago. Personally, between then and now I was riding and competing/working in a different discipline so I didn't have opportunities for the same kinds of prizes. I much prefer for a year end award to have practical use outside of the use and wash (saddle pads) or use on rare occasions (big coolers). For me, decorative items like silver plates don't appeal since I don't like to display a lot of "things" in my house and I don't have my own barn/tack room/I love me room for them either.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Good 2 View Post
    I still have silver trays I won as a Jr.(looong time ago) and every time I use them it brings back a good memory. One size fits all.
    Me too! If it is a high quality piece, I don't think you can go wrong with engraving a silver piece (HITS shows...please pay attention...). Maybe picture frames for the juniors, and a nice platter or tray for the adults? I don't know how juniors would feel about getting a serving piece. It would be useful for them in the future when they have their own home and do some entertaining....but a picture frame might be a better option for them for now. Or, you could do saddle pads for the juniors.

How much money is there to spend? What about a grooming halter with a plate? I have one of those that I won years ago that I love and use all the time.

I would not want to win (and haven't loved it in the past when I won) any silver platters/photo frames/etc. For one thing, I am up to my ears in "things" that I have no where to display. For another, anything that I have to polish on a regular basis is not likely to get displayed in my house!

I voted for the canvas chair because that is practical and handy in a lot of places (not only at shows but at sporting events, picnics, etc.). I would also be happy with a saddle pad, towel, or something like that.

Please, no awards that will only fit a certain size horse. I was thrilled to win a year-end award from my local H/J association last year - but the rainsheet they gave me (and everyone else who won an award) is a size 80 - it is huge on my 15 hand horse and will drag the ground on my large pony. At least if they had ordered multiple/random sizes, I could have traded with someone else...

I always like a nice embroidered saddle pad with the show name/logo. You can never have too many pads!

Really, I think its hard to go wrong with any of the choices you listed. Things people don't like: anything in the wrong size or something really low quality. I would rather show management save their money than buy me junk for a prize, but everyone LOVES great prizes. I think a picture frame would be cool if it said the show name and "champion." I voted for chairs because that is something useful and I think they are really cool, my friend won one once and we proudly took it to every show. You can NEVER have too many saddle pads, but again decent quality is appreciated

i love silver. i wish i had more. i think they're the best because they last. i like saddle pads too (face it, 99% of us take enjoyment in discreetly showing off the fact that we were champion of xyz, be it via a championship cooler or saddle pad) but i think that silver really lasts longer and people definitely don't throw those things out. it's something you can use for years. (yes, you can actually use that silver bowl)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I think the current results (13/15/13) are telling, no matter what you pick, you're not going to please everyone. The silver/crystal awards appeal to those who haven't allready won a dozen silver plates. Totebags, pads, etc are useful up to a point. I like the idea of a chair best.

Note that some of the silver and glassware prizes available now are REALLY cheap quality, and are most definatly not going to last a lifetime, or even a decade.

Default Canvas chairs...

Can also be silk screened. For an even more cost effective way to make them. I even have used the HIGH END cut and heat vinyl (Not WALMART, but from a vinyl supplier stuff). And it lasts even longer than silk screening does, and doesn't fade....
    If our shows are successful this year, that's what we are giving for high point for the series.......
    You can even personalize them with HIGH POINT JR/AMMY Jumper - POOKIE 2010
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Good 2 View Post
    Ditto.

I love my trophies, and they're still here.

Anything else (tote bags, director chairs, saddle pads, etc.)
    seem to wear out and then that's the end of them.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Nothing is classier than a nice silver trophy and in my opinion you can never have enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
    Please, no awards that will only fit a certain size horse.
    This! Unless you're a small enough association and can keep track of who your winners are. My girls won year-end awards with the pony they shared one year. #2 daughter won a lovely grooming halter that fits my oversized moose. The medium Welsh pony with dainty head was swamped by it so the kid never used it. Kid #1 won a really nice embroidered cooler - size 81 for the same 13.1hh pony. It looked good folded on her bed. By the time she had a horse it would fit, the cache of being short stirrup champion was no longer there

Our local saddle club has been giving gift certificates to Dover and SmartPak. The winners seem to appreciate them, though I don't think the items they purchase will 'feel' the same.
    Y'all ain't right!

Are you referring to year-end championship awards or individual show champion awards? A nice keepsake is always appreciated for year-end awards, as the trophy usually goes back the following year to be handed out again. I have received silver platters, keepsake boxes, jewelry boxes and all are displayed in my 'horse' room. Coolers or scrim sheets are always useful, maybe embroidered with the division name (Hunter Champion, Adult Equitation, etc.) and year.

For individual show championships, a saddle pad monogrammed with the show name/year or leather lead is always nice. Have also received leather halters, gift certificates to local tack shops, or checks that could be applied to that show's bill.
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Our club does a variety of things for year end awards depending on the division- some get silver buckles, some get embroidered jackets, and some get monogramed directors chairs. Lucky ones like me get all three The club gets everything at a discount- the jackets I think are about $40. I display my buckle, wear my jacket whenever I can, and the chair goes along to shows. The jacket is probably my favorite, since every time I wear it I can be proud of my accomplishments over the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
    I would not want to win (and haven't loved it in the past when I won) any silver platters/photo frames/etc. For one thing, I am up to my ears in "things" that I have no where to display. For another, anything that I have to polish on a regular basis is not likely to get displayed in my house!
    IAWTC. At pro-am ballroom comps it's normal for the committee/organizers to offer a prize of one kind or another as a participation gift for all competitiors. One year the Yankee Classic offered a choice of a trophy, a duffel bag, or a garment bag. They ended up with a whole lotta trophies sitting around. I've even seen people leave their *event* trophies or give them away to groups that will pry the nameplate off and reuse them. Platters, bowls, and other things that 99% of the population don't use (and would you really use a real silver *trophy* platter for crudite?) just end up as dustcatchers. Other popular choices I've seen are wheelie bags and silk bathrobes (we wear them over our competition dresses or menswear to protect them between rounds.) Gifts that you can use are very very popular.

A chair for a horse show would be insanely awesome. That's absolutely the sort of thing I would use. A cooler, saddle pad, etc also great. I would love a leather halter as a prize myself--two is not enough to rotate on my horse! As Montanas_Girl said, though beware of things that only fit one size horse. My TB would drown in an 80 blanket.

My favorite championship prize from the last couple of years were embroidered jackets that one show gave out last year. They were light cotton jackets that were really cute and something that I wear over a ratcatcher in the ring for at least one day of most shows (I do jumpers almost exclusively, so have the option of going more casual than a hunt coat). The embroidery reads "Spring Hunter/Jumper Champion" which was simple enough that the show was able to use the extras the following year (bonus points go to having the division name too, though!). Going down the list my next several favorite prizes have been monogrammed saddle pads, monogrammed (via nameplate) leather halters, monogrammed boot bags, etc. I'm not terribly enthralled with coolers in general (though it sounds like that's not a choice anyway). One cooler is great, two coolers are better, and then they become a monster that takes over your tackroom and blanket racks and attract all of the dust in the barn!

In general my vote goes to anything monogrammed. There have been several years where I've been champion in the finals classes and received my huge bag of cookies and basket of assorted goodies only to envy the reserve champion for picking up the cool embroidered saddle pad