The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2006
    Location
    An American Living In Ireland
    Posts
    5,671

    Default Don't Push It - Grand National Winner

    Alas the racing post continues to be an absolutely useless paper when trying to link stories. Maybe someone more techno can link the story.

    How and ever I thought you all might find it intereting to know he does not live in a stable. He has a run-in shelter in his field which he shares with 6 sheep. All through the winter and the -10 weather he was out loving it.

    He gets too worked up being stabled so this is how he is kept. On TV they made much about his sweating up and I looked down in the paper to see he was out of an Alleged mare and thought it wasn't such a big deal.

    Just thought it interesting.

    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

    "I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,665

    Default

    Free and natural - that is interesting.

    A quick look at the first four placings' pedigrees;

    1st place - Don't Push It - by Old Vic by Saddlers Wells with Derring-Do and Turn-to

    2nd place - Black Apalachi - by Old Vic by Saddlers Wells with Derring-Do

    3rd Place - State of Play with Buckpasser further back (a personal fave).

    4th Place - Big Fella Thanks - with Derring-Do



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    15,521

    Default

    Last edited by Equibrit; Apr. 13, 2010 at 07:47 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2006
    Location
    An American Living In Ireland
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Yes, Old Vic has been the master for a few years now, but he's been retired this year.

    I think my personal favorite Derring-Do son is High Top who combines with Vimy on his dam side to get very nice jumping lines!

    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

    "I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2006
    Posts
    4,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Free and natural - that is interesting.

    A quick look at the first four placings' pedigrees;

    1st place - Don't Push It - by Old Vic by Saddlers Wells with Derring-Do and Turn-to

    2nd place - Black Apalachi - by Old Vic by Saddlers Wells with Derring-Do

    3rd Place - State of Play with Buckpasser further back (a personal fave).

    4th Place - Big Fella Thanks - with Derring-Do
    Big fella Thanks, who was the favourite for this year's National, is by Primitive Rising. PR was a dual purpose NH/Sporthorse sire in England. He's actually probably better known as a sire of eventers than racehorses, he sired quite a few CCI 3/4 star eventers. He also sired the useful X-country chaser, the JP McManus owned Enda Bolger trained, Freney's Well.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 30, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Big fella Thanks, who was the favourite for this year's National, is by Primitive Rising. PR was a dual purpose NH/Sporthorse sire in England. He's actually probably better known as a sire of eventers than racehorses, he sired quite a few CCI 3/4 star eventers. He also sired the useful X-country chaser, the JP McManus owned Enda Bolger trained, Freney's Well.
    I was quite surprised to see a Primitive Rising kid running. Most of the ones I see are eventing.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2001
    Location
    Coatesville, Pa.
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Don't be too suprised. Back here we had a ton of fantastic sport horses sired by Mokhieba. But amongst them were some fabulous chasers as well, Circuit Bar of course tops the list, but there were others.

    And hell look at Dynaformer, don't even get me started on the likely hood of a Derby winner on dirt and a 4 year Breeders Cup Steeplechase winner on grass, both from a grass dominant sire.

    (And they're not 'brothers' in the TB world, so please stop calling them that!!)

    ~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2006
    Location
    An American Living In Ireland
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    It is quite common over here to see NH stallions also registered with the IHB or whatever they call themselves these days.

    I have an ex-chaser by Salluceva and my husband, at the time, had an ISH by Salluceva out of a Sea Crest Draught mare.

    Too bad the breeders of Old Vic didn't do a Storm Cat and save some frozen semen so event breeders could take advantage!

    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

    "I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul. 30, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    It is quite common over here to see NH stallions also registered with the IHB or whatever they call themselves these days.

    I have an ex-chaser by Salluceva and my husband, at the time, had an ISH by Salluceva out of a Sea Crest Draught mare.

    Too bad the breeders of Old Vic didn't do a Storm Cat and save some frozen semen so event breeders could take advantage!

    Terri
    I said to hubby that I wouldn't mind an Old Vic kid to event. He just rolled his eyes at me.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,665

    Default

    ...there is something about those big steeplechase horses with their ability to really jump and go the distance that thrills me. Still going strong at l0, 11, 12, 13 and 14 years old.
    No wonder they are used in eventing.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2006
    Location
    An American Living In Ireland
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    I said to hubby that I wouldn't mind an Old Vic kid to event. He just rolled his eyes at me.
    Well that's too bad because I could have gotten you a filly for 1000 euros by Old Vic out of a mare from a Grand National winning family. The mare is Conjure Up and same family as Last Suspect. She was a chestnut 4yo and only sold about 2 months ago.

    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

    "I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 30, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Well that's too bad because I could have gotten you a filly for 1000 euros by Old Vic out of a mare from a Grand National winning family. The mare is Conjure Up and same family as Last Suspect. She was a chestnut 4yo and only sold about 2 months ago.

    Terri
    She sounds like a steal! It's a real shame you couldn't get her.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2006
    Location
    An American Living In Ireland
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    She sounds like a steal! It's a real shame you couldn't get her.
    Lord no I didn't want her - I have enough!

    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

    "I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    May. 27, 2009
    Posts
    384

    Default

    Is there video of this year's race?
    Forward momentum!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 30, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,942

    Default

    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2005
    Location
    Sweet, sweet Virginia!
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Wow, quite a race! Thanks for the link! H/J person lurking for something to do so I don't think I've ever actually seen the GN except in pix and National Velvet

    Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"



  17. #17
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,665

    Default

    It seemed to me that Canor Castle (sp?) wasted a lot of distance jumping to the right so badly and taking the wide turn after the Canal - just couldn't keep it up
    and faded.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 30, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBCool View Post
    Wow, quite a race! Thanks for the link! H/J person lurking for something to do so I don't think I've ever actually seen the GN except in pix and National Velvet
    You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2003
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBCool View Post
    Wow, quite a race! Thanks for the link! H/J person lurking for something to do so I don't think I've ever actually seen the GN except in pix and National Velvet
    I know! Until this year I'd also only seen it in National Velvet. I was surprised at the amount of horses that fell, but even more surprised that more of the fallen jockeys don't get trampled by the horses coming right behind them. How does that work?



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep. 21, 2000
    Location
    Pawlet, VT US
    Posts
    3,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy SM View Post
    I know! Until this year I'd also only seen it in National Velvet. I was surprised at the amount of horses that fell, but even more surprised that more of the fallen jockeys don't get trampled by the horses coming right behind them. How does that work?
    People are squishy. Horses hate to step on squishy things.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis



Similar Threads

  1. ViDEO- River Glen 50K Grand Prix Winner
    By theoriginalruffkutt in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct. 6, 2010, 03:28 PM
  2. ViDEO- Trader's Point 30k Grand Prix Winner
    By theoriginalruffkutt in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 15, 2010, 08:23 PM
  3. ViDEO- Gulfport Grand prix Winner Chantal
    By theoriginalruffkutt in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar. 6, 2010, 02:05 PM
  4. VIDEO- Gulfcoast Nutrena Grand Prix Winner
    By theoriginalruffkutt in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar. 2, 2010, 11:54 PM
  5. Video! HSBB Wk II : 30K Grand Prix Winner from Sunday!
    By theoriginalruffkutt in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul. 19, 2009, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •