The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Voluntary partial hysterectomy? (Uterus only)

I've had my tubes tied for years, and I've been kicking myself that I didn't just have the uterus removed.
    I am beyond tired of the darn thing. It's useless, but EVERY month it seems to get this stupid idea that I might give it a baby. And it's always at the most inconvenient times. Holidays. Vacations. Once when I was scheduled to have my hip replaced ( a little whining on my part got the date moved back a week). For a week beforehand, I cramp like mad when I am working out - it's agonizing. During the dreaded week of "the curse", the cramps are horrific and for three days you'd think I was on the verge of hemorrhaging to death. It's as if my uterus is angry and bitter and it's punishing me for not getting pregnant.

I know birth control pills would help, but that's why I got the ligation, for cryin' out loud!

I'm guessing no doctor is going to really want to do this, since it might fall into the category of unnecessary surgery. But are there any really good reasons why I should NOT have it done?

No doctor in his or her right mind will remove your uterus unless there is a medical reason to do so.

The complications and risks of the procedure are not to be taken lightly. Bleeding, infection, anesthetic complications, and death are very real possibilities!

If you have a valid reason besides no more periods, I would just take ibuprofen and go on bc to make it more tolerable.

I had mine out a couple of years ago.....life is wonderful. I would not have done it had I not had medically necessary reasons to do so. The risk of complications are far to high to be taken lightly. Not worth the risk!

You should really examine the hormonal consequences of having your uterus removed entirely. It's not just a baby pod. It's a vital part of your reproductive system that, when removed, can produce consequences on other systems in your body. I understand that for some women, it just needs.to.come.out, but I severely doubt any OB/GYN is going to tell you "alright, I'll take it out" without having you try other (admittedly simple) methods to deal with monthly cramps.

FWIW, birth control comes in many forms that don't involve taking pills. I have been insanely happy with nuva ring, and had success with depo (long term fertility issues scared me off of it, but that's moot for you considering it sounds like you're finished with the childbearing aspect of having a uterus).

I have PCOS and suffer extremely, extremely bad PMS. I, too, hate taking BC pills. But I'm not sure that's a reason to evict my uterus. Try other BC options first.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

I don't know, but I hear ya and I've wondered the same thing. Being a woman just sucks sometimes.

Pre-pill, I was out of commission for a good 3 days the week of, felt weepy and out of sorts the week before, and I got mid-cycle ovulatory pain that was nearly as bad as the cramps. I actually bled enough to be anemic and tired all the time. I went on the pill 7 years ago, take it continously (no placebo week) with my dr's OK.

But I've often thought that since I have no intention of using my uterus, it might as well come out someday. Otherwise, based on how things went for my mother and aunt, I'd have another 20 years of taking hormones just to stay functional. So what's a greater risk: nearly 30 years of BC or one elective surgery? I've also thought about endometrial ablation to get rid of all the nasty tissue that gives me so much grief. Seriously, in the 18 years since I "became a woman" (hate that phrase. there's nothing magickal and empowering about it), my uterus has been nothing but a hassle and a bother to me.
    BES

ETA: I would add that for some women, ibuprofen does nothing for the cramps. Even the pill + ibuprofen didn't really help me, hence the continuous BC. Some of us can't just pop a few advil and go on.
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Mara, do you know what's causing your symptoms? If they are severe (and not just inconvenient) to the point of really affecting your life, then a hysterectomy would certainly be within the realm of reasonable options. Many women have them for fibroids, for example, as BC pills often don't help much with them (and can even make them worse overall).

Good luck.

You might want to ask your gynie about an ablation. It essentially cauterizes the lining of the uterus so that your period doesn't happen any more or is decreased (it's done under anesthesia). I don't know what effect it has on cramping, though. It's worth asking, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtrailrider View Post
    No doctor in his or her right mind will remove your uterus unless there is a medical reason to do so.

The complications and risks of the procedure are not to be taken lightly. Bleeding, infection, anesthetic complications, and death are very real possibilities!

If you have a valid reason besides no more periods, I would just take ibuprofen and go on bc to make it more tolerable.

I had mine out a couple of years ago.....life is wonderful. I would not have done it had I not had medically necessary reasons to do so. The risk of complications are far to high to be taken lightly. Not worth the risk!

Hmmm, what are the chances I could find a doctor not in his/her right mind?
    Never wanted kids - it took some looking to find one, but I did get a doctor willing to do the tubal on an unmarried woman under age 30. (I laid out my case quite well, and it wasn't because I was too lazy to take pills and wanted to sleep around. I wanted to avoid men in the dating pool whose definition of "family" included children, having already broken one engagement over that issue).

I was griping a couple of weeks ago and my husband said, "oh, uterus falling out, huh?" I yelled, "I wish it WOULD! Then I could just toss it down the garbage disposal, hit the switch , and be DONE!"

I don't really know why things are so painful, and it's been over the past 5 years or so. I'm due my yearly checkup soon, and will address that. I had TWO periods this month, lucky me!

You need to be evaluated by a gynecologist, a good one, not assume they won't do what you may need.

There is one other problem from living your whole life with all your parts, then hitting some six to ten years after menopause, all those years those organs and the ligaments that support them succumbing to gravity without the hormones we produce before menopause and suddenly you find yourself with a prolapse.
    That is not even considering the chances of cancer that goes undetected until too late in those organs and other tissues those hormones affect, that are very prone to cancer.

I would say, go talk to a doctor and go from that.
    You may be surprised at all that they can help with today.

Mara,
    You could be perimenopausal. I don't know what your age is, but heavy bleeding, irregular periods are both symptoms of that. Could also be fibroids.
    I had horrible fibroids and had a LSH (lathroscopic supracervical hysterectomy) last April. I have to say I am kind of the poster child for that surgery. Everything went super well and I recovered very quicky with no complications. I was back on my horse with in 3 weeks and got to keep my cervix and ovaries which are working quite nicely.
    It is good that you are having your yearly soon. I am sure your doctor can give some insight as to why everything has changed.
    Besides abulatgion there is also the minerva (sp) IUD which supposably can lighten your period as well.
    Also another direction to look is hormone imbalance. As we age our hormones kind of go crazy, add in environmental factors like caffine, and other xenoestrogens and our bodies kind of freak out.
    I was most likely estrogen dominant, so I had horrible PMS, heavy bleeding and rapid fibroid growth.
    I basically changed my whole diet. And took supplements by this group http://www.womentowomen.com/programs...owitworks.aspx
    Super helpful. Did not keep me from having to have a hysterectomy, but did level me out a bit.
    And if there is something wrong with your uterus try to find a doctor that can do a lathroscopic surgery. Way , way better than stopping your life for 8 weeks and cutting your stomach muscles.
    Good luck. Hope you get some answers
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Thanks Bluey. Ick - prolapse - I'd rather not. I'd like my internal organs to stay that way.
    I do have a friend who had the ablation - she says it's wonderful. Recovery was a bit rough, but worth it considering the hell she went through each month (about 10X worse than mine - my biggest complaint is I seem to have some sort of symptomatic thing for 2 weeks out of each month).

I am the poster child for partial hysterectomy. All the same symptoms you describe, never wanted kids, never had any, was not inclined to put up with all that misery one minute longer. Best thing I ever did. Was back to walking 4 miles 3 days out of the hospital, back to work 10 days later, back up to 8 miles of walking per day roughly two weeks after discharge from the hospital. Never looked back, would do it all over again, only sooner. I was 35 when I had mine. Surgery itself took less than 45 minutes from incision to recovery room.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

I had a total hysterectomy because of severe fibroids almost four years ago.
    It took years and two different ultrasounds before the fibroids were diagnosed. By then, they were so large and painful that if I rode for 20 minutes, I spent the next two days in bed. And cramps? I had them the day before my period, the first day or two, and the last day. Clearly, the baby factory had to go.

Supracervical was an option for me, but go(*&%am doctor talked me into removing both ovaries, citing the removal of the risk of cancer and the ease of hormone replacement therapy ("Oh, it's no problem - you just take a pill."). Yeah, right. I was lucky enough to be one of the rare women who needs bio-identical hormones. I went through a year of hell before getting HRT that worked for me.

Talk to your doctor about an ultrasound; trans-vaginal was what diagnosed my fibroids, while the regular abdominal completely missed them. Not surprising, since they were on the back side of my uterus (pressing into both my spine and right kidney, making the pain even worse - yay ), but if I'd had the trans-vaginal first, it would have saved me many years of pain.

A good resource is www.hystersisters.com. There's a wealth of great information there, plus a discussion forum that gave me much more information than my doctor did.

Good luck.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/