The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default A Letter

    Dear Spelling Police on this lovely BB,

    STOP CORRECTING PEOPLES MISHAPS IN SPELLING. Perhaps, the person just typed to fast. Perhaps the person was writing late at night. Perhaps the person writing didn't reference a dictionary. Maybe they don't have auto spell check and didn't proof read their post. You don't need to get "all up in their business".

    If you can still read the post and on the whole there is nothing AWFULLY ATROCIOUS THROUGHOUT then don't comment. It's a waste of your time and you come off looking snippity. In fact, when i'm wasting my one day off a week browsing this lovely board, if I see a post start off with "PONY word is spelled PONY not PONIE" then I don't even read the rest of your post.

    I am sure you have never had a spelling error in your life. I bet that if you just write the word correctly in your response such as "I like getting acupuncture done on my horse." They will catch on that acupuncture does not have two c's.

    The only exception to this rule is when it comes to names such as the McClay..Maclay spelling issue.

    Now, this is my second rant on COTH and people will probably think I have anger management issues. FYI, I really don't .



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 10, 2009
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    Personally, I don't really see the harm in gently correcting spelling/grammar mistakes. Perhaps the person was typing fast or it was a typo...but I think we owe it to the people who spent time (and money) educating us to attempt to use the english language correctly. Maybe they really don't know how it is spelled and will appreciate learning the correct spelling. However, I do NOT see any mean to be mean, rude, or snarky about correcting someone's spelling/grammar. But I really don't see what it hurts to correct the mistake?
    Are people really that offended by it?



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Most of the mistakes I see are not corrected nicely and the people come off as somewhat nasty. But then again it is typed and there can be no actual inflections put upon the words.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2008
    Posts
    4,266

    Default

    I kinda agree (ETA: with the OP) - some people type fast and don't check, and some people just aren't good at spelling. Just like some aren't good at math, drawing, singing or whatever. No reason to get all excited about it.

    It's usually pretty obvious what they mean, like loose vs lose. Or less obvious, but funny once you figure it out...like ocelots affecting a horse... LOL
    Last edited by twofatponies; Apr. 11, 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: two more posts since I started writing my reply...



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2000
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    7,120

    Default

    No need to halt at X. Anywhere near X is okay.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,663

    Default

    Your post here comes off as relatively hostile, though you might not intend it as such.
    Do you see how it might be similar with the posts you take offense at?
    (And your grammar could use some work )
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2006
    Posts
    1,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Do you see how it might be similar with the posts you take offense at?
    (And your grammar could use some work )
    I hope you are being tounge and cheek, otherwise- your grammar could use some work too! (ending a sentance with a preposition- oh, the horror!!!)

    It's a vicious cycle.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 12, 2001
    Location
    Lemont, Il, USA
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Your post here comes off as relatively hostile, though you might not intend it as such.
    Do you see how it might be similar with the posts you take offense at?
    (And your grammar could use some work )

    Your second sentence should read "similar to", not "similar with".

    The only grammar corrections I feel comfortable making are of posts critiquing other people's grammar.


    I firmly agree with the O.P.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2007
    Location
    NW Louisiana
    Posts
    5,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    I hope you are being tounge and cheek, otherwise- your grammar could use some work too! (ending a sentance with a preposition- oh, the horror!!!)

    It's a vicious cycle.
    Actually, ending a sentence with a preposition has become "legal". It happened several years back. I don't remember the detail, I just remember wondering to what the world has come, that bad grammar is now considered acceptable by those who make the rules.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apcohrs View Post
    Your second sentence should read "similar to", not "similar with".

    The only grammar corrections I feel comfortable making are of posts critiquing other people's grammar.


    I firmly agree with the O.P.
    Mea culpa.Sloppy editing on my part.

    I have to admit that my spelling/grammar bias comes from spending far too much time attempting to grade student work that has such ambiguous spelling and grammar that it is often difficult to comprehend.

    Besides the fact that it is difficult to evaluate for grading purposes, I have students in a program designed to educate them for a profession which will put them in the position of making entries in medical records, which are legal documents.

    To me, making a habit of correct spelling is much akin to making a habit of sitting properly in the saddle.

    Besides, sometimes the posters are asking about subjects they'd be able to google if they could spell...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Mea culpa.Sloppy editing on my part.

    I have to admit that my spelling/grammar bias comes from spending far too much time attempting to grade student work that has such ambiguous spelling and grammar that it is often difficult to comprehend.

    Besides the fact that it is difficult to evaluate for grading purposes, I have students in a program designed to educate them for a profession which will put them in the position of making entries in medical records, which are legal documents.

    To me, making a habit of correct spelling is much akin to making a habit of sitting properly in the saddle.

    Besides, sometimes the posters are asking about subjects they'd be able to google if they could spell...
    I thought you did it on purpose, teasingly, of course.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    I hope you are being tounge and cheek, otherwise- your grammar could use some work too! (ending a sentance with a preposition- oh, the horror!!!)

    It's a vicious cycle.
    It was.
    I believe the expression is tongue in cheek.

    The business about not ending a sentence with a preposition is not a grammatical rule, but an excellent example of pretentiousness.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,663

    Default

    Oh, and while we're at it, people--

    it's Dormosedan, not Dermosedan.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    878

    Default

    I find it easier to read something if it has been written with correct spelling (especially the to/too, where/were type mistakes where I have to think what is actually meant - thereby having to strain my poor old brain LOL), but I generally don't bother correcting people as I realise there can be all sorts of reasons for the mistake/s occurring. However, I do feel it's sad when the reason turns out to be "can't be bothered/any old way will do" rather than "late night/typo/was never taught correctly and no-one's ever offered to help me".



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2006
    Posts
    1,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Actually, ending a sentence with a preposition has become "legal". It happened several years back. I don't remember the detail, I just remember wondering to what the world has come, that bad grammar is now considered acceptable by those who make the rules.
    Um, only when the preposition is needed for the structure of the sentance- in the above situation- one could easily say "Do you see how it might be similar with the posts you take offense?" leaving the "at" off and the sentance still makes sense.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    Um, only when the preposition is needed for the structure of the sentance- in the above situation- one could easily say "Do you see how it might be similar with the posts you take offense?" leaving the "at" off and the sentance still makes sense.
    Not really.
    Even if you correct my poor editing (I made some major changes in the sentence, but missed substituting "to" for "with"), the sentence scans better as

    "...it might be similar to the posts you take offense at?"

    than "...it might be similar to the posts you take offense?"
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2002
    Location
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here
    Posts
    12,079

    Default



    I am guilty of loose/lose. I HATE them. I can never figure out which is correct.

    I *can* usually google though.

    The thing with spellcheck, is it doesn't help loose/lose, which/witch, there/their/they're.


    Hemhoragh... Hemmorrha.... Profuse, uncontrollable bleeding is another one of my epic fails.

    That, and back door trots. (I was going to say loose stools, but maybe it's lose... )
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2006
    Posts
    1,855

    Default

    Ghazzu. I was joking with you with the "tounge and cheek" because it is another common mistake. I was also joking with the ending a sentance with a preposition (thus my stating "oh the horror!")

    However, your sentance was poorly constructed and in your sentance, and the "at" is definitely not needed!

    iIn seriousness, IMO, what would be best is to say, "Do you see how it might be similar to the posts that you take offense?"



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2002
    Location
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here
    Posts
    12,079

    Default

    Bwhahahaa...



    So really, is Eats Shoots and Leaves worth the read? Or is this better?

    At.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)



  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    Um, only when the preposition is needed for the structure of the sentance- in the above situation- one could easily say "Do you see how it might be similar with the posts you take offense?" leaving the "at" off and the sentance still makes sense.
    I'm sorry... Correct in theory, but your edit of the sentence doesn't quite make sense. I can't help myself:

    "Do you see how it might be similar to the posts at which you take offense?"



Similar Threads

  1. Letter by CKD re: Helmets
    By Emy in forum Dressage
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: Mar. 30, 2011, 01:38 PM
  2. What letter is what year?
    By Tobias in forum Racing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul. 16, 2010, 05:57 PM
  3. Did anyone else in FL get the letter from Dept of AG?
    By florida foxhunter in forum Off Course
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jun. 5, 2010, 08:48 PM
  4. Replies: 28
    Last Post: May. 31, 2010, 04:27 PM
  5. Letter in Tattoo?
    By MCJumper in forum Reference
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr. 27, 2004, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •