The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tooth abcess in donkey - front top tooth

Our 3 year old donkey has been 'off' for a few weeks but I couldn't figure out what was going on. He's gotten steadily worse so when checking vitals I noticed a top front tooth is rotten. That's got to be what's been bothering him.

Has anyone experienced this before? The vet has been called but due to it being Sunday, I don't expect a call until tomorrow.

I'm assuming the tooth will get pulled and he'll be given antibiotics. Is there anything I should be worried about?

My daughter's horse had an abcessed tooth. He was 18 or so at the time. The vet came out and pulled it and I am assuming gave medicine for him. He came through just fine and is back to eventing at 20. I will ask her if there is anything she thinks she should pass on.

Since you donkey is 3 you might be noticing his shedding a baby tooth. The central incisors fall out at around 2 1/2 and during the process of the premanent tooth coming in things can look pretty ugly.