The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Last time I saw Mia was about 20 years ago, she was recovering from a bad car accident, and was working at a local stable.
    Save the Nauga\'s

I have two memories.
    1980 or 81 both happened in the same week at the Chagrin show.
    I was grooming for someone showing jumpers do not rember her or the horses names now been a while. Anyway I was sitting under the tree on the hill ( near where the current announcers both is) just waiting and watching the horses go by wondering if I would ever be brave enough to do jumpers. I hear a voice above me asking " do you mind if I sit down on the cooler with you?" I look up and it is GM.. All I could do is nod my head with a dumb look on my face Im sure... He starts chatting with me and when my mouth started functioning properly we had a nice chat about horses and the show. He asked me if I was showing that week and I said yes I was. He said well Ill keep an eye out for your ride ( I was in hunters in the old ring before it was redone a few yrs back. He stood up and siad ' nice talking with you and good luck this week." I was thinking yeah sure he will keep an eye out for my rides... he did and after a rather disasterious ride ( one of those where you would like the ground to just swallow you up and you wonder why you bother to do any of this at all) I was on the way out of hte ring when I noticed my trainer backing away from the gate.. I just though oh dear it was worse then I thought it was...I look over my shoulder back into the ring and decided she was over reacting there was one or two fences left upright... No the reason she backed away is there was GM reaching for my horses reins to pull me aside... He went on to tell me what I did wrong ( besides everything and was lucky to come out of that one alive) and gave a few sugestions on how to 'fix the problem' for my next round... I tried them and they worked never had another problem like that with that mare again.
    the other memory from that show was about wed or thurs... I am stading watching another division with my trainer and some friends and we start hearing someone in the boxes yelling and going on and on about how the cleaners had shrunk his coat etc... We look around and see it is Rodney Jenkins trying to put on his coat and fighting with it you know how ppl get silly when they cant do simple thing like put on a coat they start turning around like that will help.. he was turning and turning while going on about his coat being shrunk... After a minute or so someone comes up to hims and stops him from turnig around and says something like 'hold on here Ill get your sleave out of the coat and that should make it go on better."

It is funny about 10 yrs later when I ran into GM again he apparently reconized me and asked if I had gotten better controll and better rounds with my mare then I had that day... The man must have a mind like a steel trap...
    Friend of bar .ka

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I ran into GM again he apparently reconized me and asked if I had gotten better controll and better rounds with my mare then I had that day... The man must have a mind like a steel trap... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    NO, he has a memeory of an elephant!!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Well, Devon will always hold a very very special place in my heart as it was the Devon Horse Show 1981 I fell in love with the love of my life! And always will be no matter whatever happens.......
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Racetb---Mia worked at Peter Wyldes around the same time that I rode and worked there(1992/1993). Unfortunately if we are indeed talking about the same person I believed that she passed away four or five years ago.

Mia did pass away several years ago. Last I saw her she was working for T. and might have still been at the time of her death.
    I knew Mia well, going back to her days at Acres Wild when I was at Fairfield.

Nope, not Mia...my screen name is the name of my old Small Junior horse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charlie13:

SingMiaSong---I am sure I was a little devil child even though my mom always tells me I was perfect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I remeber when we came to look at Pine Fall to board there, and you and your father had just gotten in an argument. I guess you got banished to the house, and you were trudging up there, lower lip sticking out, POed to all hell. My mother asked your father, "How old is she?" and your dad, in true Mitch fashion, replied, "Six. Won't make it to seven."

Hey, we all had those moments as little kids, but that was one of the best one-liners I've ever heard!

I also remember you as the Short Stirrup Star on good old Teapot. What a great mare she was.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Singmiasong----LOL that is very funny!!! I can totally hear my dad saying that.

Yeah Teapot was the best. I jumped my first jumps on her but it was an accident. I had just learned to canter and was showing off to my mom cantering around the ring. The only thing is I wasn't looking where I was going and I steered her right to a 3' in and out. Apparently Teapot jumped it no problem and I stayed on in the perfect position but I cried and wet my pants!!!!! I probably shouldn't post this here---so embarrasing but its funny!!!

My bad...on Mia. I hadn't realized she'd passed away.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/racetb

*Save The Prairie Dog*
    \"Jean Louise, stand up. Your father\'s passing.\"

Charlie, I was there when Mitch led you--howling like a banshee--up from the ring at Windfall after your first "jump". Teapot's expression was priceless. RIP Teapot, Venture, and all the other saintly horses I have known...

OOOOH Charlie13 that is a good one! I may not ever be able to look at you again without thinking of that one.
    Aunt Val took Rodeogirl into out ring on the little miniature mule "Oscar" (that we had for her to do the leadlines on) and he ran out the gate bucking the whole time and ran to the last stall in the barn and reared up in the feed tub (he was only 35 inches tall). I went flying down to the barn and rodeogirl yelled "you get me off of this thing right this minute". I still laugh about her staying on the entire time but being so mad and wanting off right then.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction!
    Pine Meadow Farm
    www.kingandminchinbuckingstock.com

does anyone remember gigi gaston? well she cut me off in a flat class one time .. lol hehe never happened again! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif
    the new and improved stalking barbie

rasetb- remember when i put "nair" in john holmes shampoo bottle? also put x-lax in his brownies!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    the new and improved stalking barbie

Jilli
    You were naughty! And probably still are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Racetb:
    I loved Smart As! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    me too. fine critter.

Wow!!
    I had No Idea that Mia had passed...How sad...does anyone know what happened to her??
    I also stabled next or near her alot...she was agreat gal...
    So Sad...

And Justjilli...of course I remember Gigi Gaston...

Tent sliding at the old Suburban Essex Troop B(West Orange,NJ) shows. I was a KID. Watchung Stables on Glenside Ave. in Summit, NJ. They had 3 day shows.....the OLD Riding and Driving club shows.

Adding to my own reportoire...

Indio in the early 70's. Back at the Date Festival grounds. Was showing one in Trail, which would be Western.

A few drinks, maybe two sheets to the wind...recall riding around with Jimmy Williams on a golf cart then him climbing up on a GP Jumper with just a war bridle and myself following his midnite ramblings on the cart.

A full moon illuminating the Date Palms in silvery light on that warm Febuary evening long ago as I followed him as he rode bareback on that horse up and down the rows and around the palm trees.

I was an adult. Nothing happened, we were both drunk. I led him back to his barn then drove off.

Oh what a night.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Painted Wonder....
    Then you must remember "Smitty"
    and Hilton
    and Bob....
    Were you there when "scarborough Fair" was there???
    or when she passed??
    Do you remember "Bes' a Pork Roll"???
    Or the 5 minute Man???? Scary,Huh??
    Remember The Rats??

Only a Watchung child can answer this...