The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dear crazy lady!

Experienced Groom/Barn Manager Wanted Must be experienced, honest, reliable, self motivated and hard working. Must be able to travel to shows. Duties include, mucking, feeding,lunging, bandaging and all horse and barn related chores. Must be able to travel to shows, and provide complete care for 3-4 horses. At home will work with another groom and care for approx 10 horses and maintain barns. This is not a riding position. Looking for someone who doesn't have a horse, no stalls available. Must want to Groom, manage farm and travel to shows. Must be energetic, and mature.

Dear Crazy Barn Owner:

There is a reason why every month you are looking for a new Groom/barn manager. There is a reason why every ad you place has more and more demands. You are impossible to work for. You expect way to much of people.

Your horses are miserable because you never let them out of their stalls except to hand walk them three times a day. They are cranky and colic all the time because you do not let them be horses. Your horses do not need to have leg wraps on every time they leave their stalls. Your horses do not need to be kept in two feet of shavings, four feet of moldy banked shavings on the side. When they kick their stall doors and you give them hay, you are teaching them to kick the stall doors. Poop does not need to be picked up the second it hits the ground. Water and feed buckets do not need to be scrubbed every day with soap and water. Do you understand that this is why your horses always have diarrea?

Your horses feet do not need to be picked out every time they leave their stall and reenter the stall.

Your babies are dangerous, spoiled brats. They are not cute, and spunky. They are spoiled and they bite and they need to be gelded and trained to have manners and respect humans.

Your tack does not need to be scrubbed everytime you ride. Your saddle pads and boots do not need to be brushed off every time you ride.

It should not take two people 11 hours a day to care for 10 horses.

You are fooling your self when you say that you need a groom for shows. Last year you went to one show and you didn't even ride your horses, you paid someone else to do it.

You only walk and trot in your arena, and sometimes do a cross rail.

Your horses are just horses, you are not the next olympic hopeful, and swimming your horses on a tread mill and putting them under heat lights does not make you a better rider. It just makes you feel better because you have the money to spend on all of this stuff.

You have beautiful pastures, you should use them. Your horses should not have to be sedated to be hand grazed. Your horses should not have to be hand grazed. Your horses should be allowed to go in the turn outs. It's okay if they run a little bit.

You say in your ad that you don't have extra stalls, but you have an entire barn that you do not use. You built a beautiful turn out shed for your retired horses, but you never used it. You have an outdoor ring, but you never ride in it. You use your indoor year round. Are you afraid of riding outside?

You are impossible to work for, this is why every month you are looking for help. And you will never find someone that will last, because you are so difficult and passive aggressive and you don't pay enough for people to stick around.
    Signed-

someone who ran away from our farm

**thanks for reading, this is just a vent! and a very refreshing exercise.

Hmmm, it seems I have worked for a barn just like that. In my resignation letter (after a month) I told the owners I felt like I was living and working in JAIL! They had to know when I was coming and going even when I was off work (yes I lived on property) and I was never allowed to talk on the phone. The other girls who worked there with me were never allowed to eat lunch at the same time and we were only allowed to be in our assigned barns. No talking between us at all. It was horrible!! I ran away FAST and never looked back! I don't care that you have 90+ stalls, I dont care you paid over 3 Million for one of your studs, I dont care that you have 150+ well bred horses, and I dont care how many world champions you own/bred/showed...you are horrible people to work for who have no compassion for your horses or those who work for you.

Yikes, guess I needed to vent too! All that happened 5 years ago, I guess Im still peeved!
    ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~

condolences to both above posters. I can commiserate as well, but it would take me an hour to write out all the crazies I have worked for!
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Been there. Some people are just miserable and controlling and can't stand that other people exist as anything but servants, or might actually be happy and talented in their own right. I actually had one snap her fingers at me to come. Ask me how long that lasted.

OP...over my years of owning horses....any woman who has enough money to have a place like you described is usually a nutcase. I often ask myself...WHY is it that all the crazy ones have the money to build 100 acre farms with 50 stalls, indoor arenas, etc....WHY?

But..I'm glad I read this post..because I almost forgot to take my saddle pad out of the washer to dry, until I opened this thread.

I lasted two veerrry loong weeks as a working student w/that crazy lady!! She only had three horses, one of whom was an upper level dressage horse. The second horse was a great young gelding for sale, and the only one she rode was the third horse, her tried and true old horse that she wasn't afraid of. . . in the indoor mostly.

One day when you tacked up her horse you had to put the flash buckle here, say, under the chin, then the next day it was "No, no ,no!" You put the flash buckle here, not under there!"

Or whatever the variance of the day was.

People like her should never have intercoms from the house to the barn, either. Esp if they can see where you are and how far from the intercom you are when they push the button just to tell you that they are making lemonade and will be to the barn shortly!

I heard the poor kid she got from out of state to replace me lasted two days. . . after having her horse shipped in and all.

glad that others have worked for nutcases- I think?

Cutemudhorse- she didn't have an intercom- but she did have radios that we had to wear- and when she was done riding se would radio so we could come and take the horse from her! (and pick their feet ofcourse, before doing a quick groom- before the afternoon groom that wasmuch more detailed, and involved baby wipes for the butt, nose and eyes.)

She really just mad me sad, because no one was happy- her, the horses or the employees. And that is what it is suppose to be, right, all about being happy and having fun.

I'm glad to know I didn't just have "bad luck" when I spent two years as a "working farm manager" for a similar lady. Of course, it started out very positive. My first day on the job, she handed me a stack of printed, full-color business cards with my name and the farm logo on them, identifying me as the Farm Manager.

And, of course, it all started going downhill from there. The number of horses I was expected to care for doubled, yet I was expected to do twice the amount of work in the same amount of time as before, plus do whatever other busy-work jobs she felt needed to be done (even when I pointed out things that needed more immediate attention). Her preferences changed from day to day, with no rhyme or reason for the change and no advance notice until I'd already done it "wrong."

I had one day off per week (it was listed as 1.5 days off, but I could never get all of the work done within my half-day schedule). Of course, I was the only employee, so on my day off NONE of the horses were turned out and none of the stalls were cleaned. If I wanted a holiday off, like Christmas Day, that did not fall on my "normal" day of the week off, I could only take the holiday off if I worked on my regular day off.

There were times when a horse had an injury or illness that needed to be treated or medicated, a bandage that needed to be changed. . .and the owner just wouldn't do it. It almost wasn't even worth having a day off, because I knew I'd have a bigger mess to come back to the next day.

Tried to convince the owner that it might be a good idea to hire someone part-time to clean stalls and do some of the basic barn chores. . .or help me get them done faster. . .so that I could free up more time to do the other things that needed to be done. They could also work a full day on my day off, so that the stalls would be cleaned ever day.

She turned that down. . .until I had to go out of town for several days. When I got back, she revealed that she had this idea that maybe she should get someone to come in part-time, just to be sure there was always someone at the barn. Gee, wish I'd thought of that.

Things got worse and worse; if she had people come to look at a horse and I happened to be right there in the barn, she'd say "oh, that's just my stall-cleaner." I suggested that it might work out better for me to have five longer work days, with two days off, so that I could get more work done each day that I was there. The part-time help she already hired could then work on the days I wasn't there. She didn't agree. Instead, came up with the brilliant idea of just making me work six half-days a week, either morning or afternoon shifts, opposite the new barn help.

Finally she sent her HUSBAND over one afternoon, just before I left for the day, with a letter that they were just going to keep the other lady they hired as part-time help, and that I was no longer employed with them.

Not a month later, I saw an ad in the local paper looking for one full-time barn manager AND a part-time stall cleaner. The Barn Manager would have a five-day work week. I later ran into a neighbor of theirs (also a horse owner, and a really nice guy who saw all of what had been going on) who told me that the part-time help quit her job not long after I lost mine. . .and that the owner was left high and dry.

Huh. . .imagine that. The saying goes "it takes all kinds," but I could be quite happy never having to deal with that kind ever again. . .
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.