The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can an EPSM horse ever go off the EPSM diet?

The title says it - can an EPSM horse ever stop the high fat diet? My horse has done wonderfully on it and I'm simply curious if he'll be on it for the rest of his life or if, over time, I could gradually start reducing the extra fat?
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

You might be able to reduce--but you'll find the point where he WILL relapse, and you'll know that is the tipping point. Some need less fat when on pasture, and more when on hay, etc., so even seasonally you might find yourself adjusting.

but, they need the fat in order for their metabolism to function 'normally.' It's not a condition that 'heals.'

Think of it like insulin for a diabetic=the insulin doesn't cure the disease, and in different circumstances, the dosages WILL change, but it doesn't CURE it. There is no cure.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default Ditto!

Backed up by Dr. Valentine (see second to last paragraph):
    http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/epsmdiet.htm
    Gone gaited....

My guy is no longer on a high fat diet due to the fact that he got grossly fat...even a little bit of oil he starts to get a cresty next and his sheath starts to get big/fat looking.

And he is doing not bad.......as long as I feed a reasonably low sugar hay and keep his selenium levels up he does okay.......but he is only a pasture pet and not ridden......plus he also has a paddock/stall mate that keeps him moving.

Dalemma

Quote Originally Posted by manyspots View Post
    Backed up by Dr. Valentine (see second to last paragraph):
    http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/epsmdiet.htm

Thank you - it had been awhile since I read her site and I hadn't rechecked it to check this very point. My guy is starting to pick up weight (after seeming to lose it all this time on the high-fat diet) and I was debating what approach to take - reducing the fat or what.
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

I'm in the same boat as you ljc! My guy, who was a bear to get wieght on for two years, is actually gaining!!!!! So, just last week I started backing down his beet pulp and Blue Seal Carb Guard but keeping the oil up at 14 oz. I figure if I can slowly start cutting other sources of calories I can stay ahead of it. Maybe....

I am about to order a grazing muzzle for him... not taking any chances with that but would like him to be out on grass with the rest of the kids.
    Gone gaited....