The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

I saw a special about Parelli training on tv this past weekend. I am amazed at how the horses actually gallop into the trailer! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

Does anyone have any experience with this training? Pros? Cons? Are their videos worth buying?

I saw a special about Parelli training on tv this past weekend. I am amazed at how the horses actually gallop into the trailer! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

Does anyone have any experience with this training? Pros? Cons? Are their videos worth buying?

Hey there, yepanotheralter http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif, Parelli has been discussed on COTH at length.

Here are a couple previous threads:

Pat Parelli

Parelli - Yes or No?

You can use the "find" key in the toolbar to search for more. Or maybe you already knew all that. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif

Get some popcorn & soda, pull up a chair, sit back & enjoy.

ROFLOL. I neither NEED nor WANT my horse to "gallop into the trailer" and I think it's a STUPID thing to do.

Multi Level Marketing on acid.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Another post:

OK What do Dressage people think of Parelli???

You really do gotta admire the marketing machine behind it all.
    model citizen, zero discipline

in theory, i have no problem with the basic ideas behind the different games. i have a student that boards at a barn where 95% of the other boarders use parelli, so i see a lot of it. the basic theories behind the games are sound, but... let put it this way (and it's my stock answer when asked about parelli, lyons, and natural horsemanship in general): i do not sunscribe to any one method of working with horses. i work off of mutual trust and respect between horse and rider. (and besides, a lot of the NH stuff just strikes me as basic, common sense HORSEMANSHIP) a whole heck of a lot of marketing going on. and a lot of the exercises i see i would not want to repeat with my own horses. some really scare me. and i've seen some NH folks who are actually rather ignorant (i said some, not all, don't get your knickers in a twist).
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandy M:
    ROFLOL. I neither NEED nor WANT my horse to "gallop into the trailer" and I think it's a STUPID thing to do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My amazement was referring to the "eagerness" to which the horses got on the trailer. Clearly you've never had a horse with a loading issue, otherwise you would understand why that sort of eagerness might be "appealing" and not "laughable" or "stupid".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yepanotheralter:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandy M:
    ROFLOL. I neither NEED nor WANT my horse to "gallop into the trailer" and I think it's a STUPID thing to do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My amazement was referring to the "eagerness" to which the horses got on the trailer. Clearly you've never had a horse with a loading issue, otherwise you would understand why that sort of eagerness might be "appealing" and not "laughable" or "stupid". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but from a safety aspect, it is indeed, a very dumb thing, and one i'd never want my horses to do. i want them to walk in, quietly. not gallop, run, canter, lope, trot or jog, but WALK.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Trailer loading always seems to come up on these parelli threads, with people discounting the whole training system based on strange trailer loading scenarios they have seen (like galloping in or loading from the roof). I agree that having a horse gallop into the trailer is a pretty bad idea, but it always amazes me that people (especially those who jump) can't see the value in a training system where the horse jumps into (or over) any obstacle it encounters without fear and without questioning the handler.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Timex:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yepanotheralter:

My amazement was referring to the "eagerness" to which the horses got on the trailer. Clearly you've never had a horse with a loading issue, otherwise you would understand why that sort of eagerness might be "appealing" and not "laughable" or "stupid". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but from a safety aspect, it is indeed, a very dumb thing, and one i'd never want my horses to do. i want them to walk in, quietly. not gallop, run, canter, lope, trot or jog, but WALK. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point was simply that I would rather "hold back" my horse when we approach the horse trailer as he gets all starry-eyed and begs me to let him "run" to it (as I realize that "running" into a horse trailer is probably not so great an idea) rather than to have my horse stop 20 feet from it and stare in horror like it is a giant monster http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif with a fetish for eating horsemeat.

That's all. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I am a dressage person and one of my horses is "Parelli" trained, to a certain extent. LONG time ago, someone on here posted that the people that scoff at the methods (not at the man - I can't stand Pat Parelli) have never been desparate enough to try it! That struck me as SO true. I was at the end of my rope with this horse and now she is very manageable. There are lots of things in the "Parelli system" I don't really agree with. But, the basic premise and the 7 games can be VERY useful. It has made a huge difference in my horse's attitude.

I've had people tell me all sorts of things about how to deal with my mare. But, unless you know her and have worked with her, you can't appreciate the problems. She is NOT one you can put a chain on, hit with a whip, etc. and expect that those things will HELP a situation. Physical punishment and force like that just makes it WORSE. The games got her MIND engaged and that made all the difference in the world. Not to say she never got disciplined but there is a difference between just jerking on a chain when they misbehave (which will work with most "normal" horses) and teaching them general respect through the games.

Too many of the "Parelli" people see the world in black and white and worship Pat Parelli. If Pat didn't say it, it must be wrong. That turns a LOT of people off. I think I can learn SOMETHING from different "methods" and I am smart enough to ignore the things I think are not appropriate for me or my horse.

I think the people who disparage anyone who sees anything useful in Parelli are just as bad as the people who think anything that is not Parelli is wrong. There is good and bad in almost everything!
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Can someone please tell me what the squeeze game is? Thanks

Like any other training method, if you are selective and know both the method and your particular horse, it can work well.

I've "been there/ done that" when I was still riding western horses and did clinics with Ray Hunt out west. I have a great deal of respect for Ray Hunt and his mentor, Tom Dorrance. Ray Hunt is an incredible horseman and it shows, but not much of a "people person" ... though that may have improved in later years. I never met Tom Dorrance in person, but Ray Hunt and others are highly appreciative of Dorrance's methods.

I have much less respect for many of the more prominent "NH" trainers as I definitely have a problem with high-power marketing techniques. So I tend to be less impressed with John Lyons, Pat Parelli, Monty Roberts, "Pony Boy" ... the ones that routinely do the demos at the big horse Expos across the country. I'm sure they are competent but unfortunately what I see when I watch them is the "flash and marketing" and not the methods.

And if you really want to have a good time with something try showing a video you've taken at a "Pony Boy" expo demonstration to a home audience made up mostly of "real" cowboys of predominantly Native American backgrounds! Believe me, THAT would have been something to videotape!

Game #7
    The Squeeze Game
    Horses by nature are claustrophobic. They are afraid of any small or tight space.
    The Squeeze Game teaches your horse to become braver and calmer, to squeeze through narrow spots without concern. Start with a large gap (it might have to be very large) between you and a fence, wall, or even a barrel. Ask your horse to go through the space while you stand still. In the beginning, it may help if you walk backwards and parallel to the fence to help your horse squeeze through. The reason walking backward works well is because it helps draw the horse toward you. For phase 1, direct your horse's nose into the gap. Phase 2 lift the tail of the rope. Phase 3 swing the rope a few revolutions. Phase 4 touch the horse behind the withers once. Then stop and begin again until the horse tries to move forward into the gap. As soon as he does, release the pressure, relax and smile. Pretty soon your horse will make it all the way through. Stand still and allow the rope to slide through your hand as he passes by you so he feels total release. You want to avoid him feeling a jerk backwards on the rope. As your horse gets more confident, make the space smaller and smaller until it is just three feet wide, like the stall of a horse trailer.
    You can use the principle of the Squeeze Game to teach the horse to jump, go into trailers, wash bays, starting gates or roping boxes. Getting less claustrophobic also helps a horse accept the cinch.
    Keys to Squeeze Game: walk backwards; start with a large space and move in small increments to smaller spaces, use four phases; play it with practical objects like trailers and jumps.

This was copied from the Parelli website.
    ~Re-Riders Clique~
    ~Midwest Clique~
    ~2004 Sucks~

OK! Thank you so much for the explaination on the squeeze game.

I asked this question because someone had said that Hunter/Jumper riders are usually the ones to discredit the Parelli's methods because of riding or running a horse into a trailer. Not so, my dear.

Well, here goes! I am and have been for 40+ years:hunter/jumper/dressage/rider/trainer/instructor. After all those years one does tend to venture out.LOL!

At any rate, for all these years, I have been lunging horses in arenas between me and a fence, ridden dressage horses in an arena with lunge horses going at both ends and other riders in all different directions being squeezed between the oncoming horse and the wall,jumped full courses in jam packed schooling rings, have walked race horses through tight doorways, and have also jumped them out of gates (forgot I also use to gallop race horses),have also sent horses through tight openings yata yata. Do you mean to tell me that if I had only called this "The Squeeze Game" I could have made a fortune in the horse business?? These things are just normal stuff one does with horses on a daily basis and to attach a name to such simple things is absurd.

To run a horse into a trailer is well, just plain stupid. I wonder just how many humans and horses have been hurt trying to repeat this act.

Recently, I watched the wife trying to teach a girl with a grey horse to jump a barrel using a short lead. Said horse time and time again would run up to barrel, stop, and push the barrel out of the way with his front leg and just walk through. After 50 tries, wife tells this girl the exercise isn't working because #1: it's your posture,#2: your not holding the line correctly, #3 your not being assertive enough and on and on.

Did wifey realize that the horse in such a short circle COULD NOT SEE THE DANG BARREL TO JUMP IT??? Obviously not because by the time the horse finally did cast all faith to the wind and flew up in the air like a deer,jumping blind, he was a heaving, dripping ball of sweat. Applause, applause form the audience-----good God give me a break. Not the way I want to teach a horse to jump any object.

I find alot of their methods an assult on my intelligence as a horsewoman that has been around the pike for quite sometime.

So, please don't think it is only "because of the trailer loading thing" that makes us laugh at some of this stuff, that is really not the whole picture.

Now do I think that all of their stuff is hooie? Not neccessarily. I think they have performed a great service too. They have given the new owner a starting point and have given others with tough horses the kmowledge of working a horse in "Common Sense".

If you want to dance with your horse in a pasture by moonlight or ride without a bridle and two sticks, wonderful. Just please don't do it in the same ring as me, thanks.

However, if these methods work for you, that too is great, whatever floats the old boat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> strange trailer loading scenarios they have seen (like galloping in or loading from the roof). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aah, now I'm intrigued. Loading from the roof? How does that work? And how on earth do I get my horse up on the roof in the first place?

I just started with a Parelli trainer two weeks ago. When I first contacted her, I wanted to drop off a horse for training. She said she was booked and any way it was best to teach the rider to teach the horse. This appealed to me because I was going to drop off actually not one but three problems eventually, so any way to save money is all right by me.

So far I have learned mostly from her, because the dvds don't tell you alot of the things you need to know in my opinion. I love the "maintaining you space" part of it and already feel safer around the horses. I think probably any of the methods are good - Parelli is basically the Dorrances and Ray Hunt - but the rest are good too. I can't quite see yet how all the ground work will transfer to riding but the ground work is so good to have. The two out of five horses we have that are rideable actually could use ground work but we know them and their behaviors as well as our own - watch out for one if he gets a trapped feeling and the other just has to move sometimes. But eventually they may get the training as well.

It is good to have actual tasks to perform rather than going out to "work with" a particular horse. Also I am pleased so far with working with this trainer. I would not have the motivation and understanding however to do the Parelli Level 1 on my own I am afraid since I like to just go out and RIDE too much. But I need to get the others going since the ones I ride are old. I hate that.

Sorry if this is rambling...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coreene:
    Multi Level Marketing on acid. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coreene-this is your classic Parelli answer-it always confuses me--where is the MultiLevel Marketing in Parelli?

I have always understood multi level marketing to involve recruiting distributors of a product to sell the product...the "upliners" make money of the "downliners"---like a pyramid.

Parelli doesn't do this-so how does it have anything to do with MLM ideas? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coreene:
    Multi Level Marketing on acid. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif Bless you child, you summed him up perfectly!!!