The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone Have Pet Rats?

My stepdaughter got a pair of rats two months ago. I was a little skeptical but agreed because someone I once knew sang their endless praises. Good grief, they're cute little things. I'm not sure who's enjoying them more, her or her dad and me. Turns out DH is something of a rat whisperer.

Anyone else have pet rats?
    Jer 29: 11-13

Oh I did!!
    When I was younger my sister and I had probably six different pet rats (they don't live long... even with good care).
    They are the best pets! People always get grossed out when you tell them that, but it's true! In my opinion they are about the best rodents you can own. Hamsters are nocturnal, guinea pigs are skitzy, rabbits are big and need a lot os space, and mice pee CONSTANTLY. Rats are very sociable, smart, and for the most part, clean. Love my rats!

We had a pair of female rats a few years ago, and they were great little pets. Clean, sociable, friendly... unfortunately both ended up with mammary gland tumors, which I understand are very common in domestic rats, though less common in males.

Have fun with your ratties!!!

I had one several years ago. She was a fantastic pet! After I'd had her for about a year and a half she developed a HUGE mammary tumor kind of in her "armpit" that kept her from being able to climb around her cage (she LOVED to climb things) and much to my mom's dismay, I ended up having the thing surgically removed. My family made fun of me nonstop as I brough my shaved little rat hom from the vet 2 days after surgery, but I loved that rat! She lived a few more good years after that, until she died when she was around 4. I'd like to get another sometime, they really are one of the best small critters to have as a pet!

ETA: arktos, just saw your post and yes, I too was told that mammary tumors are very common in domestic rats. In fact, I think the one I had removed in my old rat may have been starting to regrow, but never was really sure because she died of old age right when I had started noticing that that area looked a little funny.
    Last edited by Laguna 007; Apr. 10, 2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: posted at the same time!
    RIP Owen 2/2/07

Laguna <3

My friend used to have one and she was adorable! We loved playing with her.

I used to have some! I had a single male, then 2 females, then 2 males - I missed them all so much still. One day I hope to have them as pets again - they're so funny, and sweet, and have SO much personality!! They're such fantastic companions - my last boys had definite opinions on music too - they HATED the Beatles! Can you imagine?

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I do! We have two. Princess and Pokey I got them for my DD who is 8 now but Pricess is about 3 now and looking her age I love the critters very friendly and social animals and I think their cage has less of an ammonia smell than the gerbil cage my other daughter had. Big fan of rats here.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

My brother and I both did. Mine were hooded, his were albino.

They were SO DAMN SMART.

And clean. Contrary to popular notions.

My brother's best friend had one, that was trained to the nines. Did more tricks and stuff...

Unfortunately when we went away on family trip, no one would watch them. They went to the pet store.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I love pet rats! There's a rat on my shoulder on my current Facebook profile pic.

But we have two housecats who are excellent mousers, so I'd be afraid to get one. Unless someone has ideas of how to handle that.

I almost bought one an hour ago!

We had rats for years and I really miss them. Our all time high was when we were first married and a little female delivered a surprise litter shortly after we got her. DH, the old softy, stopped me from taking any of the babies to the pet shop. He couldn't bear the thought of any of them going as feeders. And so for a few years we had around 15 rats!

I've had surgery done on a few of our favorite rats. My vet told me that a lot of the ones you get in pet shops come from lines that were bred for research and so they get tumors.

We've mixed cats and rats and mostly the cats have ignored the rats. It is actually one of the dogs I have now that I think would be a big problem.

Love, love, LOVE pet rats!

Funny story. My son had a blond rat named "Cowboy". Cowboy was an awesome pet rat (as they all are). One day there was a Fancy Rat Show in town and you could enter. I think my son was around seven at the time and I thought it'd be great fun.

So we moseyed over to the show with Cowboy in a cardboard box. LOL! Oh, my! These rat people are VERY serious about their show rats! We couldn't touch them unless we lysol sprayed our hands, they were in multi-hundred dollar cages, completely accessorized etc. Snobby group, those rat showers.

Our little Cowboy left with a BIG blue ribbon. Best of Show, pet rat category! LOLOL! It was classic.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

I had one in college named Templeton. She was a cream colored rat with dark red eyes. She was an awesome pet and I had her for several years. Gentle, sweet, never bit anyone, and loved to ride on my shoulder. My dad loved her too, and even my mom cried when she passed. Dad carved her a little headstone and it's still there, under the big oak tree, next to our beloved Yorkie's grave.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

I have three squishes: Archie, Gus and The Pest. All three were rescues.

When I moved out of state last year to go to school I became very depressed living alone. My landlord doesn't normally allow pets, but made an exception for the rats. I love coming home after studying allll day to find three faces waiting to see me.

Rats are so smart and CLEAN. My crew are all littertrained and come when they're called. I also had all three spayed/neutered, which just about eliminates any smell and greatly reduces the occurance of mammary tumors.

My Mom/Brother had pet rats. I didn't really have much to do with them but would put the hooded rat in her rat ball and she'd follow me around the house. All three of them would about die for a yogurt chip.

The hooded rat lived in a cage, and she was very good friends with one of our cats. The cat would lay infront and slightly away from her cage and would bat/paw at the air, and the rat would be pinned against the bars batting back at him. She was way more into it than he was .

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I almost bought one an hour ago!

We had rats for years and I really miss them. Our all time high was when we were first married and a little female delivered a surprise litter shortly after we got her. DH, the old softy, stopped me from taking any of the babies to the pet shop. He couldn't bear the thought of any of them going as feeders. And so for a few years we had around 15 rats!

I've had surgery done on a few of our favorite rats. My vet told me that a lot of the ones you get in pet shops come from lines that were bred for research and so they get tumors.

We've mixed cats and rats and mostly the cats have ignored the rats. It is actually one of the dogs I have now that I think would be a big problem.
    The vet told me the same thing when we took in our hairless rat, Fiona, to be put down. She had tumors all over. She was the best rat we've had so far, I grew up with pet rats and in the last 5 years or so we've had them again. We now have Ben, who is a dumbo rat and he's pretty awesome. I think they are by far the best pets of the rodent world, and so smart.

I had two female rats while I was in college, they were fabulous pets! They loved riding around on my shoulder and playing with my hair...I learned the true meaning of "rat's nest" hair. My dog actually got along really well with them, she'd let them scamper all over her while she laid on the couch and the rats loved rearranging her fluffy tail to make a cozy napping area. Unfortunately one of my girls developed a severe respiratory infection and eventually had to be put down. People thought I was crazy to take a rat to the vet, then pay for medications and euthanasia for a rat but just because they're a "small" pet doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated the same as other pets.

I had several over the years. I had two lovely dumbo rats as well. All of my ratties were very intelligent and I could let them loose in my apartment and they would come when I called them. I had one that would go to my classes with me and no one would know it till her tail would fall off of my shoulder out of my hair during class. They were a blast to have as pets. They have such great personalities. Sadly they are very prone to URI (upper respiratory infections). I would love to have more, sadily I think my fiance would not approve.
    ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~