The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Exclamation Dangerous Dr Jekyl/Mr Hyde behavior with mare in heat.. suggestions? RESULTS POST 69!

    So, I'm confronting a very strange problem with my mare right now that I have never experienced before. She's always had fairly tame heats.. a little distracted, a bit dramatic, but it really didn't effect how we did things or anything.

    Now.. I kid you not, when she comes into heat, she is suddenly borderline dangerous to handle. She becomes EXTREMELY herdbound, and the second you bring her into the indoor (ie, out of sight of her pasture and herd), she absolutely loses her mind. Today I attempted to tie her and just let her throw her tantrum and be done with it, but she proceeded to rear and attempt to THROW HERSELF ONTO THE GROUND, all while screaming and pooping every 5 seconds. When untied and handwalked, she was still jumping all over the place and screaming. There was no getting through to her, I had to remind her I was even there a few times.

    Contrast this to 2 days ago, when it was a bit colder out. I had her in the indoor, with a NECK ROPE ON (ie, no halter), ground tied in the middle of the arena as I curried and picked her feet. She stood relaxed the whole time.

    I have never seen such extreme swings in behavior like this! It seems directly correlated to her heat cycle, as today the temps warmed drastically and all the mares on the property have come into heat. I honestly just wanted to cry, I was so frustrated.

    Yes, I'm calling my vet, but I'd like to hear some suggestions or ideas while I wait to call and set up an appointment on Monday when his office is open. If it is a hormonal issue, what treatments are available?

    UPDATE POST 59.

    RESULTS POST 69.
    Last edited by sublimequine; May. 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2009
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Definitely Regumate. It has made a huge difference in my mare.

    This time of the year, horses go into a transition period after not cycling all winter. It's fairly common to get erratic heats and bad behavior.

    Personally, I would do Regumate for 2 weeks and see what happens. If it helps and the mare does worse off it, it may be something that you need to do daily until winter.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    Definitely Regumate. It has made a huge difference in my mare.

    This time of the year, horses go into a transition period after not cycling all winter. It's fairly common to get erratic heats and bad behavior.

    Personally, I would do Regumate for 2 weeks and see what happens. If it helps and the mare does worse off it, it may be something that you need to do daily until winter.
    I worry a bit about dosing Regumate, and getting it on my hands or something. Is it fairly easy to handle?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 25, 2005
    Location
    The Land of the Frozen
    Posts
    13,787

    Default

    You can give bute of equioxx for pain for a few days. My mother has a mare that was just like this and she required 2 grams of bute a day throughout her heat cycles or she was a maniacal devil woman. I guess it depends if your mare's problem is pain related or not. Mom's mare was definitely pain and the pain drove her wild. The bute was a great solution for her.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    You should only be worried about it if you're thinking of trying to get pregnant as it might affect your own cycles. Otherwise, you could wear gloves when handling it.
    Definitely not trying to do THAT anytime soon! Thanks for the tip.

    A2; Probably stupid question, but how did you know it was pain? My mare doesn't act sore or sensitive to touch or anything.. just.. crazy and herdbound.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 8, 2007
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    There is an injectable form of Regumate, but it is pricey if you have to get it from your vet-my vet charged something like $150, but you can get it at cost for like $80/shot. Ask your vet about it. My friend had a mare who is pretty marish and did better on Depo, but even better on IM Regumate/altrenogest. From what I've gathered, people feel Regumate, oral or IM, is more effective on heat related behavioral issues.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equino View Post
    There is an injectable form of Regumate, but it is pricey if you have to get it from your vet-my vet charged something like $150, but you can get it at cost for like $80/shot. Ask your vet about it. My friend had a mare who is pretty marish and did better on Depo, but even better on IM Regumate/altrenogest. From what I've gathered, people feel Regumate, oral or IM, is more effective on heat related behavioral issues.
    So the injectible form is IM? That's one issue about oral Regumate, I can only dose it 6 days a week most weeks. My barn is pasture board only with no grain fed, so I'm the only one to feed my mare anything, thus the only one to medicate as well.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 26, 2001
    Location
    Mid Midwest
    Posts
    859

    Default

    I had my mare on Regumate last fall when she was stuck in an autumn heat cycle. My bottle had a top that when screwed off you could screw on a screw tip syringe. I would do that, tip the bottle over and draw out what I needed and replace. I also wore rubber gloves like you wear for handling pesticides but I didn't spill any on them or anywhere else. I added it to her feed with no issues. I was also careful about handling her feed bucket too.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeio View Post
    I had my mare on Regumate last fall when she was stuck in an autumn heat cycle. My bottle had a top that when screwed off you could screw on a screw tip syringe. I would do that, tip the bottle over and draw out what I needed and replace. I also wore rubber gloves like you wear for handling pesticides but I didn't spill any on them or anywhere else. I added it to her feed with no issues. I was also careful about handling her feed bucket too.
    Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 8, 2007
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    So the injectible form is IM? That's one issue about oral Regumate, I can only dose it 6 days a week most weeks. My barn is pasture board only with no grain fed, so I'm the only one to feed my mare anything, thus the only one to medicate as well.
    If money is not an issue, I would definitely go the injectable route, especially considering you may not be able to medicate her 7 days a week. Like I said, most heat related behavioral problems seem more improved with IM Regumate (yes, it is given IM) than with depo, but depo seems cheaper-$150/bottle and you can get 2.5 dose out of it, so that may be worth a try as well. My personal mare can get unhappy about being separated from her herd when she was at a small barn, but was never unmanageable-more so she'd look and whinny a bit, but I could do whatever I wanted with her. On depo, she was less concerned. If she had been REALLY bad, I would've gone the Regumate route.

    See what your vet recommends, but worth a try. Here's a link to the IM Regumate:

    http://www.betpharm.com/micro.htm



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2008
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Like a previous poster said, first cycles of the year can results in extreme behavior - especially younger mares. Before jumping ahead with Regumate it might be worth waiting to see if during her next cycle she is as bad.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Like a previous poster said, first cycles of the year can results in extreme behavior - especially younger mares. Before jumping ahead with Regumate it might be worth waiting to see if during her next cycle she is as bad.
    This isn't her first cycle of the year, this is her 2nd. And she's not quite "younger", she's 13.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 12, 2008
    Posts
    789

    Default

    If this is unusual behavior for her, as in 13 years she's been okay, and now this. I would consult a vet. Regumate is an expensive experiment, when there could be an ovarian cyst or tumor, etc.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2008
    Location
    now in KCMO, and plan to stay there
    Posts
    3,040

    Default this for sure, could be a cystic ovary problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackstallion2 View Post
    If this is unusual behavior for her, as in 13 years she's been okay, and now this. I would consult a vet. Regumate is an expensive experiment, when there could be an ovarian cyst or tumor, etc.
    If the mare does need some hormonal mediating medication, this is a good article on the subject:
    http://evrp.lsu.edu/07estrus.htm
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2004
    Location
    Versailles,Ky
    Posts
    694

    Default

    If you don't want to use regumate you can try mare magic. We use it on all the fillies going to the track and to the sales. Its pretty amazing. Basically its just raspberry leaves and works to hormone balance the same way raspberry tea works for women. You'll know in a week or two if its going to work for you. you can order it online .
    Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
    http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Touchstone Farm,Ky View Post
    If you don't want to use regumate you can try mare magic. We use it on all the fillies going to the track and to the sales. Its pretty amazing. Basically its just raspberry leaves and works to hormone balance the same way raspberry tea works for women. You'll know in a week or two if its going to work for you. you can order it online .
    She's already on raspberry leaf, has been for 3 years or so now. She used to get really girthy when she was in heat, and the raspberry leaf helps with that. It seems to have no effect on this behavior currently, though.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    If the mare does need some hormonal mediating medication, this is a good article on the subject:
    http://evrp.lsu.edu/07estrus.htm
    Reading that right now, thanks!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    Little mini update, calling the vet tomorrow, but talked to another boarder today (the ONLY other client of my vet at this barn) and they want him out too for spring shots, so we can split the trip charge, yay.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2007
    Location
    Camden, DE
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Little mini update, calling the vet tomorrow, but talked to another boarder today (the ONLY other client of my vet at this barn) and they want him out too for spring shots, so we can split the trip charge, yay.
    Hehe. Love when that happens.


    Anyway, let us know what your vet says. I am curious.

    The mare I sometimes work with just went into a bad heat. It was her first heat of the season though, so I am hoping that it gets better.

    In the past she has gotten extremely attached and herd bound, at home and away. Her owner is considering a marble for her but we'll see.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Hehe. Love when that happens.


    Anyway, let us know what your vet says. I am curious.

    The mare I sometimes work with just went into a bad heat. It was her first heat of the season though, so I am hoping that it gets better.

    In the past she has gotten extremely attached and herd bound, at home and away. Her owner is considering a marble for her but we'll see.
    I've thought about marbling too, but I think that needs to be done at a clinic, and I'd rather have her treated at her barn if I can help it. We'll see what the vet says, and I'll be sure to update.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



Similar Threads

  1. Dangerous Herdbound Behavior
    By SummerJet in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct. 9, 2012, 08:00 PM
  2. dangerous herdbound behavior
    By SummerJet in forum Dressage
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Oct. 9, 2012, 04:56 PM
  3. Dangerous behavior. Bucking help?
    By LoveMyCharlie in forum Eventing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jun. 28, 2012, 06:42 PM
  4. Is this truly dangerous behavior?
    By RileysMom in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Feb. 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
  5. Older mare & odd behavior - in heat or a problem?
    By Rio Blanco in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep. 23, 2011, 10:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness