The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about Chiropracter

Has anyone used a muscle relaxant on a horse prior to having the chiro work on horse? My horse has a sore back (vet thinks she probably tweaked it somehow). The chiro worked on her yesterday but noted that she was pretty stiff and was difficult to get her to "release". Just wondering if a muscle relaxant just for the chiro session would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any wisdom on the topic.

Try a massage therapist or veterinary acupuncturist
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Spelling correction "chiropractor." The vet recommended this chiropractor because she incorporates massage into her work. In fact it seemed that she really does more muscle work than chiro when she works on my horse. Meanwhile I have been doing some massage myself. My horse seems to have two "knots" toward the rear of the back on both sides. I have been using absorbine or sore no more and do the whole back/upper rump. I am also thinking of using heat. Unfortunately we don't have hot water but I have a heat pack that might work it would cover the bad spots. Also doing hand walking- went out for 30 minutes yesterday. I am willing to try whatever might help her including acupuncture but money is a concern. Just so frustrating to have her out of commission and not back to her normal happy self.

My vet, who is also a chiropractor, prescribed Robaxin before (I believe a week) and during my horse's chiro treatments. You just need to be comfortable giving IV shots. It was a while ago but I think he had 4 or 5 treatments once a week.

You can also do Robixon in the feed so don't be scared if you can't do IV.

Heat is good. I use a gel pad that I can microwave for 30-60 seconds and then wrap in a towel. About 10 minutes of this and I find my horse's muscles are much easier to work with.

There are some good equine massage books available to give you some techniques to use in-between chriopractor visits. Where are you located?

I have ordered several books (which are on the way) about massage. Today she got a nice long walk with a buddy (ponied). I let her roll in the sand afterwards. Then I used a hot pack and sore no more. Unfortunately she is still tight and sore. I am going to talk with my vet about using a muscle relaxant. Just want her to feel better. Wondering too how long this will take to resolve. I'm located in CA, central coast.

I would highly recommend having a massage therapist (who specializes in myofascial release) work on your horse before the next chrio visit.

I know for myself that I don't ever like to have an adjustment without a massage first. (I am really tight and sore most of the time...maybe like your horse )

I know some folks up that way if you need a recommendation.

Default I invested in a back on track MEsh SHeet!

This has done wonders for my horse andI treat him with a combination of acc and chiro. The accupuncture before helps the chiro go smoother.
    But I also have over time learned how to work on him. I love to use my thumbs up backs on the rump to make him roll his back up to his withers . I do other stuff too.
    Also check to see if anyone does Magna wave Therapy. This is incredible for their back and all I do when I compete in Florida.

Thumbs up some resouces

Check the listings us veterinary acupuncturists AVAA AVCA chiros, and holistic vets, AHVA; I may have some of those letters switched around, but, I think you get the idea; We have two excellent vets in this area; I'm sure you could contact one of them for a referral if need be; pm me if you need contact info
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Default muscle relaxer

Why don't you hold off and, if massage, acupuncture, and chiro don't work, try a homeopathic trmedy; they work well for this without the unpleasant side effects
    breeder of Mercury!

Thumbs up sofy laser

A soft laser also helps; after a vet lent me hers, ///////////////I out and bought one; the horses loved it!
    breeder of Mercury!

Thanks for the responses- I really appreciate everyones input. I talked with my vet and she would like to try mesotherapy which is supposed to loosen things up. I guess that would be followed by the chiro. The chiro and vet will also be communicating about how to proceed. I have major medical on this horse but don't have my policy handy at the moment. I am hoping these expenses will be covered after my deductible.

Update. Vet came out today. It was obvious that Angel's back is still sore. Vet tranquilized her and then did several IM injections on both sides of her back using coritsone and something else (started with an S). Supposed to be on stall rest and bute for 5 days. Then re-evaluate. My insurance does not cover acupuncture, chiro, mesotherapy, or massage : ( Hoping it will cover the cortisone injections. Looks like she is going to be out of commission for awhile. Poor baby.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 is the limit View Post
    I would highly recommend having a massage therapist (who specializes in myofascial release) work on your horse before the next chrio visit.

I know for myself that I don't ever like to have an adjustment without a massage first. (I am really tight and sore most of the time...maybe like your horse )

I know some folks up that way if you need a recommendation.

here's to that. my horse has had far more success with myfascial release - we swear by jan and tamara - than any amount of chiropractic. every horse and issue is different but if you really feel that for your horse the problem is in the soft tissue that's the thing to address.