The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Share your egg recipes!

Six hens have me inundated with eggs.

I scramble them. I fry them. I use four of them every time I make a double-batch of brownies. I tried rice pudding, but that wasn't good enough to be worth the effort. I've given them to a neighbor. And the hens are still four dozen eggs ahead of me.

Looking for recipes that are quick, easy, don't take any exotic or expensive ingredients that I don't have laying around the house (or won't keep very long if I procure them) and that I can sneak past the Bland British Foods preferences of an elderly father (who thinks the only acceptable seasonings are salt and sugar).

I suggest deviled eggs.... as we can quickly rid ourselves of a dozen or two pretty fast. My deviled eggs are quick becoming a thing of legend around here as I make them for every gathering.

Hard boiled on salads, IN potato salad, tuna salad, or pasta salad.

Quiche, Pie crust, 8 eggs 1 cup of cream or milk and what ever filling you have on hand, (we do ham and cheese often) bake about 30 minutes @ 350 or just until set.

fritattas, in a skillet that can go from stove to oven, desired number of eggs per person I suggest checking allrecipes.com they are really handy.

We eat eggs for breakfast at least 3-4 days aweek. that is an easy two dozen gone for a family of four.

i collect 6 eggs a day right now. and I still give a dozen to my mom once a week or so.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I saw this on TV the other day and it looked good. he used a cast iron dutch oven, cooking for a crowd outdoors, but it could be adapted to a deep skillet and amounts adjusted .
    Saute sausage meat( pork, turkey, breakfast, etc), or maybe even lots of bacon - cut up. Add chopped onions and green/red/or yellow peppers and a few hot ones for some zip. When onions/peppers are softened add shredded potatoes( sweet potatoes would be good, too). He used shredded, but small cubes would be OK, too. Cook a bit more then add beaten eggs and shredded cheese. Mix well then lt cook until set . Add more cheese on top and cook until melted. sounds real good to me! Not much real measuring. I like the stratas, too, and omlettes.

My dogs love hard boiled eggs as well as my birds do too!

Heather

Omelets and fritattas. Fritattas are nice because they don't require the manual dexterity to fold over the darn omelets.... You can tailor the ingredients to your preferences by sauteing whatever veggies and/or meat you would like to add, mix in a cup of shredded cheese and add six or so beaten eggs. Using a cast iron or oven safe skillet, cook on medium heat on the stove until the edges are set, and finish under the broiler or in the oven until the center is set and the fritatta is nicely browned.

Pound cakes use lots of eggs
    http://www.recipes4cakes.com/pound_cakes/
    and strawberries are coming into season
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Send them to me...

Barring that, this is my favorite breakfast on non-fish every-other-days:

Toast half an English muffin. Rub raw garlic (optional) on it. Smear with butter or mayo and put two slices of cheddar or other cheese on top. Put back in hot (toaster) oven to melt. Cut two slices of ham to fit and lay them on top. Fry an egg over easy and put it on top of the ham. I like to eat around the yolk and save it for the end. When it gets all runny, it's almost like a hollandaise. No seasoning needed except salt and/or pepper. Sometimes I'll add some tomato chutney or relish to the butter/mayo smear for some sweetness. Yum. Too bad today is a fish day.

Oh, oh. And custard/creme brulee. Creme brulee takes up lots of eggs, then it kills you so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

angel food cake also uses up tons of egg whites.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Eggs Benedict takes up lots of eggs, since it's eggs on top of eggs. I like to have it for dinner every once in a blue moon, but skip the ham and cheese because they seem like overkill to me.

I simplify the Hollandaise by melting the butter in the microwave, not using a double boiler but watching the heat carefully (and removing the pan from the stove momentarily when the sauce threatens to curdle), and adding a little boiling water from the poaching eggs to the egg yolks before I add the lemon juice and butter.

My other favourite quick and easy egg dish is two corn tortillas smeared with refried beans and scattered with cheese and then put in the microwave for about a minute. I top this with two poached eggs, salsa, diced avocado if I have some and low fat sour cream.

I ditto custard!

Also, Puff Pancake:

Melt 3 T. butter in a cast iron skillet or Corningware pan in the over while it is heating to 425.

In a bowl mix in 3 eggs, 3/4 c. flour, 6 T. sugar, 1/4 t. salt, 1 1/2 c. milk. Stir until flour is mostly mixed in. It will be a bit lumpy.

Optional: 1 t. vanilla, 1/4 t. almond flavorings.

Pour mixture into the melted butter in hot pan. Do not let it cool off.

Bake for 20-25 min. It will puff up on the outsides and a little in the middle, then it collapses.

Eat it plain or with powdered sugar, yogurt, fruit, jam, whatever you want.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

MMmmm puff pancakes!!

Some people probably think this is weird, but if you like oatmeal, try adding an egg to it.
    When it's cooking on the stove crack the whole egg into the pot right when it's about done. Stir really well for about 30 seconds, untill the egg is all incorperated. It gives the oatmeal a really yummy velvety custard texture.

Ooooooooooh puff pancakes!! I lost my recipe for it. THANKS!!!! Love that stuff!!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Drop eggs in disposal. Turn on faucet. Turn on disposal and run for about 10 seconds or so.

Hate eggs. Scrambled, boiled, fried, poached, steamed, baked, what have you - I would rather blind myself with red hot knitting needles than eat an egg. Don't want to smell them either.

The only way I eat them is if they are well-incorporated into some recipe in which they play only a supporting role behind the scenes. Like pastry. I don't like custards or quiche, for example, because they are too eggy.

I realize this is no help, but the subject of eggs just provokes a visceral (figuratively and literally) reaction!

Yeah - you don't like eggs so you open a thread on egg recipes. Whatever.

I play with spices when making omelets / frittatas. Some work for me, others don't. Love Mrs. Dash in my omelets.

And I can sympathize - while my Silkies are mostly for pleasure, my sister next door raises hens and I get at least 2 dozen eggs a week from her.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Omelets! I've had two this week with some ham slivers, cheese and (cover your eyes haters! ) avocado slivers.

Let me see if I can find the breakfast casserole recipe that I have somewhere. Although it can be pretty spicy, but you could tone it down for those who don't like seasoning. Ah, here it is:

Breakfast Casserole

One bag of Simply Potatoes (Diced with Onions)
    1/2 pound (or more!) of cooked sausage, bacon, ham or a combo of all
    12 eggs
    1 small bottle of Hidden Valley original Ranch salad dressing
    2 cups shredded cheese of choice
    Chopped Scallions for garnish

Spray butter-flavored Pam either in a large casserole dish or individual ones. Layer the potatoes and chopped up meat into prepared
    dish or dishes. Whisk eggs with entire bottle of salad dressing. (I sometimes add some herbs here but it's not necessary.) Pour egg mixture over prepared dishes. Bake in a 350 degree oven until almost set in the middle. (The time varies from oven to oven and also depends on what size of dish you've used. Just poke a toothpick in the middle to check.) Sprinkle on the cheese and put back into oven until completely set and cheese has melted. Let cool a moment or two then adorn with scallions.

For those of you who like a little spiciness, you can always add a can of drained, chopped chilles and serve with warmed up canned enchilada sauce on the side. One time I even added chunky style salsa
    to the egg mixture and it was fabulous. One time I used Italian Sausage, creamy Caeser dressing and a mixture of provolone, parmesean and asiago cheeses! Yummy! <---- Note from person who gave the receipe.

Note from me: I made it with a pound of (pre-cooked in the skillet) chorizo and about 4 ounces of the generic version of Hidden Valley Ranch. My guess would be two eggs per person as far as adjusting your recipe. If you wanted to make it spicier, then use some salsa and/or chiles depending on your taste. I thought it would be too spicy for most, so opted to cut it a bit with the Ranch dressing. Oh, and I used Simply Potatoes Southwest Style Hashbrowns and no scallions. .
    Last edited by EponaRoan; Apr. 10, 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added recipe.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

After you bake that lovely Angel Food Cake use the yolks to make some lemon curd.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

I have a massive pile of eggs to be deviled tonight.

Lemon meringue pie is another great way to use up eggs
    -Jessica

Everyone loves deviled eggs.

I also make a lot of quiches. I use 3-4 eggs and 3/4 cup milk per pie, with the following additions:

Spinach and feta cheese (cook and drain the spinach first so it's not soggy)

Ham and cheddar
    Bacon and cheddar

mushroom and swiss (cook the mushrooms in butter or oil until past the point where juice comes out of them - otherwise they get soggy in quiche)

broccoli and cheddar (boil and drain the broccoli first)

potato and parmesan (boil potatos first)

asparagus and goat cheese (boil asparagus for just a few minutes til bright green, before adding)

etc etc.

and don't forget French Toast!

Great recipes here. I can't contribute, since Ive seen everything here that I make. I have about 40 hens, and sell eggs at the local market. I keep the rejects for cooking, and the puppies get one each morning, scrambled. People always stopping by for fresh eggs, too.

Never heard of too many eggs.

Did anyone mention popovers?