The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default wide dressage saddle on a medium-backed horse?

What are the concerns of using a "wide" tree saddle on a medium-size 16h horse with a warm-blood-type build? thx!

Same as any saddle - is it pinching, rubbing, how's the balance, etc.

My thoughts on the most likely fit problems are withers - is it sitting down on them instead of clearing them? Is it too wide so it's hitting too far down and pinching muscles? And how's the balance? Does it sit on your horse's back so the seat is where it's supposed to be, or does it look like it wants to make you sit toward the pommel (the direction I'd expect) or cantle? Are all the parts which are supposed to be in contact with your horse in contact, and hitting the right places with no saddle pad? Are the places which are NOT supposed to be in contact not in contact, without a saddle pad as well as saddled up with your normal saddle pad and you in the saddle?

^^^ basically. However, if your horse is underconditioned/weight and you expect it to develop further, padding up a too-wide saddle can be a smart thing.

And just because a saddle is said to have a "wide" tree doesn't mean its actually wide. Every saddler has their own definition of wide, some of them not so wide, some extremely generous.
    “I am sorry negativity, I have no time for you. I have far too many positive things to do.”

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    And just because a saddle is said to have a "wide" tree doesn't mean its actually wide. Every saddler has their own definition of wide, some of them not so wide, some extremely generous.
    Very true! My medium wide horse and a wide Ovation are the perfect match, for example.

And even within the same saddle/model/size there can be quite a bit of variety, depending on whether the saddle has been fitted to another horse. Ask me know I know...

Some horses also like a bit of a wider saddle. My horse measures a MW, but goes *much* better in a wide with a second pad.