The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I would just like to put my vote out there for touch point. I was at the CT there today. i hadn't been there in probably close to 3 years but... It is such a great little show. Everyone was super nice, the footing was perfect, the course was great for the level. plus i love having the terrain in the stadium portion (and it's a 2hr drive for me too but i opt to do that over some of the more local CT's for the afore mentioned reasons!)

The fences are hinky, the footing terrible and I don't recall ever seeing a jump judge. They must have set a person up on top of a few hill tops ot watch many fences at once. No PA system, so when a lightning storm approached in May 2005 the organizer drove all over the grounds in her golf cart Yelling at people to go home. I swore never to return but alas I did 2 yrs later.

I did training at Elysian in 2007. I actually had a bad ride at the trakaner, then smooth sailing thoughout. We were supposed to go down into the water, jump out then jump up a bank and then across the ditch then onto the steps down... Anyway there was a tree to the left of the ditch, making you run the center line (I think a bush was on the right) and dead center was a hole right up against the ground line timber on the ditch. YUCK. It was so super scary looking that I skipped that entire bank up to ditch fence combo... LOL. and of cource got E'd.

But yeah, stay away if you are ahuling in a distance longer than 45 min, and definatly check out the Va Ht trials. Super nice people.

Default Any better?

I saw an ad that Elysian Hills is having another starter HT. I would love to save some money on entry fees-- does anyone close to the source know if things are any better??

TIA~~

I don't know anyone who still tries to go to it. Everyone I know who does unrecognized stuff does the usual suspects of MDHT, Waredaca, etc, etc, etc. I can't imagine things changing...

Well, that settles that. Thanks!

I went there about a year and half ago. I wasn't competing, just checking the place out as a possible low stress event for my mare to start eventing. NO WAY!.

The dressage arena had almost no warm-up area, the trailer parking is miles away from everything else, but the worst was the XC course for the Intro level. Lots of too tight turns, not safe looking jumps, and a massive hill with a steep grade that you either had to climb the face of, or go up the gravelly side to get to the next fence. Not beginner friendly at all.

I think I still have photos of it somewhere.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

I am sending this thread to one of my students who asked about doing it as a first intro HT for her young mare (several others have also asked about it for their green horses), to which I responded:

NO. FREAKING. WAY.

I explained *why* not to her (for many of the same reasons posted here), so this will simply be "confirmation."
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    I am sending this thread to one of my students who asked about doing it as a first intro HT for her young mare (several others have also asked about it for their green horses), to which I responded:

NO. FREAKING. WAY.

I explained *why* not to her (for many of the same reasons posted here), so this will simply be "confirmation."
    Calais HT in the begining of November this year and they have another in the spring is a good one for first timers. Trailer parking ajacent to everything, grass show jumping arena, but large, a couple of grass dressage arenas, but lots of warm-up room. A really nice XC for green riders/horses. Very inviting first timer jumps, low rolling hill terrain, and last I went they did not have banks, ditches or water for the Intro sections. I was planning on taking my mare in November, but she's probably out for the season until I can get the vet out to do xrays. Here is the link, and its in Powhatan, VA

http://www.levelgreenriding.com/id17.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cameraine View Post
    Calais HT in the begining of November this year and they have another in the spring is a good one for first timers. Trailer parking ajacent to everything, grass show jumping arena, but large, a couple of grass dressage arenas, but lots of warm-up room. A really nice XC for green riders/horses. Very inviting first timer jumps, low rolling hill terrain, and last I went they did not have banks, ditches or water for the Intro sections. I was planning on taking my mare in November, but she's probably out for the season until I can get the vet out to do xrays. Here is the link, and its in Powhatan, VA

http://www.levelgreenriding.com/id17.html
    Not to resurrect an old thread, but I'm so glad to see someone mention Calais Horse Trials on here! It's a great place to go for those new to eventing - very well-run, nice jumps, beautiful facility. I HIGHLY recommend Calais Horse Trials. Plus, Pat Betts is awesome.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well. I went over there the other day. The place is in rough shape. Good to know about other opportunities!

I'm surprised a 3 yr old thread is resurrected, maybe the owners can do something to improve the facility. COTH suggestions anyone? Constructive criticism anyone. . . We can always use another schooling venue.

3 years is a long time to be static, maybe they need help? How do you stay in business?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

They've been "static" a lot longer than three years. I went there the first time almost 11 years ago, for a RECOGNIZED event, and the issues were the same. And I clearly remember my then new boss/coach standing in a warm up with another pro and them asking each other why they keep coming back. "I always forget how bad it is and say yes to going....then remember why I don't like it." That was 11 years ago that they were saying that!

It is the worst place I've ever been. I wouldn't send a cow there.

I am amazed that it's still around and people actually still go there.

Last time I competed there, my young horse knocked down a BN cross country fence (it was a cross rail of large logs, not tethered or secure) and the jump remained that way (totally eschew and dangerous) the rest of the competition. I heard people complaining but nothing was done. And we FELL down in stadium because the footing was slick as snot. That was about six years ago. Oh and the dressage was dark black sod, very slick and it looked like a decaying manure pit. And the warm up was in the indoor which was hard dusty clay. It was such a disaster.

I.hate.that.place.

I live in the neighborhood and drive by it every day. It is still horrible, if anything, worse. The family that owns the land has other income, so that isn't a factor. And yes, that was really a manure pit.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Okay, the place is a dangerous dump, the owners don't care and even "Bossy" isn't going. This is a very depressing update to say the least, fortunately there are tons of other venues.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Default horse trials

I went to Elysian Hills a few years ago. Never again for all of the above listed reasons.

I second Touch Point Farm in Culpeper. It's a great place to take green horses because you can get off by yourself in a quiet area if need be or mix in with the others. I have taken several of my young horses there (including a stallion) and it is always well run and is a beautiful facility.

b

Kellys Ford has Intro Divisions at their HT's, while I am not a fan simply because of the field full cows that caused my mare to lose her mind, and a very condescending TD that looked down her wretched nose at me for asking a newbie question, there was plenty of schooling room, small inviting jumps for young horses, and I've heard they made huge improvements since their first event.