The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vests riding up...?

I have an ongoing issue with my CO edging it's way up, until I have a gap between the top of my shoulder and the vest itself. It's done up snugly, and fits otherwise. But it's driving me NUTS. I didn't realize how bad it was until I looked at stills from a video from a clinic this weekend. My biggest concern is that it's slid up and left tailbone etc exposed.

Is this an issue with all vest types?? How much of a problem do you think this actually is?? This is the only vest I've ever owned.

I'd hate to spend the money on a replacement and end up with the same issue when there's really nothing wrong with this one otherwise...

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...89609011_o.jpg
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

It's a problem with a vest that doesn't suit your body shape well. I used to have a Charles Owen vest that fit me fine on the ground, or even when I was galloping in three-point position. But I have a high waist and I flare out pretty fast to my hips, so whenever I'd fold into jump position, the Charles Owen would get pushed upward by my curves. I'd end the course with a 3-inch gap in the shoulders, and that's with the shoulders set as tightly as possible.

The Casel-Equi that I bought to replace the Charles Owen, and the Airowear Outlyne that I wear now, don't ride up on me because they flare out across my waist curves instead of riding "on top" of them. So it's just a matter of figuring out why the ride-up happens on you and finding a vest that fits differently in that department.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oooh - that could be the problem! Sounds exactly like what I've been running into. I'm high waisted, and do have hips. When I look at pics just after I've gotten on, everything is fine.

I'll check out the other options!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I wear the Lace up Tipperary, and my medium does this to me. A few months ago I stupidly made myself a slingshot going over the "Down" portion of mrec's little up and down sandbox (he decided to canter it and despite KNOWING to sit back, I thought "oh boy he's jumping get in 2 point!".

I landed in front of him and his foot got caught on that gap around my arm. I was dragged about 3 inches before my saint of a horse went "hey wait a sec" and just stood there.

I have found the same vest in a small doesn't do the same thing. This does have the potential to be dangerous and I'd wondered (and previously been told) that many vests do this.