The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse eating straw bedding

Is there anything I can maybe spray on the straw to keep this horse from mowing down????
    He is in a grazing muzzle b/c he is so fat, so of course, when he comes into the stall he thinks his bedding is a delicious treat! Usually are in from 12-5 because his pasturemate cannot be on afternoon grass at all and don't have a dry lot.
    This is the first time I've bedded with straw and like it because it isn't half as dusty as everything else I've tried.

Default Depending on what kind of straw it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    Is there anything I can maybe spray on the straw to keep this horse from mowing down????
    He is in a grazing muzzle b/c he is so fat, so of course, when he comes into the stall he thinks his bedding is a delicious treat! Usually are in from 12-5 because his pasturemate cannot be on afternoon grass at all and don't have a dry lot.
    This is the first time I've bedded with straw and like it because it isn't half as dusty as everything else I've tried.
    Wheat, Barley, Oat it can be very palatable.

Many horses live happily on Oat straw with a small amount of grain. There isn't much you can do to stop him eating it, if he is an air fern who needs little input of feed, yes, it will make him fat.

But it is not high in sugar or starch so it should not cause him to get laminitis.

Your only real recourse is to change his bedding to sawdust or shavings.

Sorry.
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

ughhh
    thanks Melyni....was hoping that there was something cheap I could spray on to deter him from mowing down!
    Because stalls only have front door and no cross breeze sawdust, shavings and pellets once broken down are really dusty
    it's never "easy" ehe?

sometimes our horses will come into a freshly bedded stall and eat their straw instead of the pile of hay in the corner
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

What worked for me was spraying soapy water on it. Then I brought him home to pelleted bedding. I recently switched to straw (ugh) and he no longer eats it.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

You may need to switch back to shavings with this horse, and sprinkle with water (I use a garden watering can) slightly if you feel they are too dusty.

And I believe that it's a misnomer that straw is less dusty than shavings. I have a horse with IAD, and had to switch him off straw and onto shavings (sprinkled) for just that reason. If you need proof just watch one of the MareStare night cams - the dust from straw looks like 'snow' on the cam!

We switched to wheat straw after they kept eating the oat straw. The wheat straw seems to be a little less tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by TBMaggie View Post
    You may need to switch back to shavings with this horse, and sprinkle with water (I use a garden watering can) slightly if you feel they are too dusty.

And I believe that it's a misnomer that straw is less dusty than shavings. I have a horse with IAD, and had to switch him off straw and onto shavings (sprinkled) for just that reason. If you need proof just watch one of the MareStare night cams - the dust from straw looks like 'snow' on the cam!

Funny, I asked my friend if her roof at a hole because it looked like it was snowing in her barn, and it was dust. Her mare is on straw....interesting! My mare is on shavings and no snow but, will switch to grass hay as bedding when foaling gets closer cause I know she'll eat it but, that's OK