The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Please, if anyone hears anything concrete about Kim's (possible) injuries, will you please post. Would like assurance that Dan is perfectly okay as well.

On eventingetc.com they quote someone there as saying she was taken to the hospital with suspected shoulder injuries, but that her injuries are not "life threatening". Holy Crap! There's a LOT of real estate between "shoulder injury" and "not life threatening"!!!

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

Please, if anyone hears anything concrete about Kim's (possible) injuries, will you please post. Would like assurance that Dan is perfectly okay as well.

On eventingetc.com they quote someone there as saying she was taken to the hospital with suspected shoulder injuries, but that her injuries are not "life threatening". Holy Crap! There's a LOT of real estate between "shoulder injury" and "not life threatening"!!!

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

What happened? sorry i don't know anything about how she is now
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

I heard (via Loudon HT) that she had a broken collar bone.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

from eventingetc.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The latest on Kim Severson: The following is from Sally Futh, whose husband owns Ashdale David's Way:

"It could have been worse; he (Winsome Adante) breasted the log at the far top of Capability's Cutting; Kim went over onto her shoulder, in slow motion. "Dan" went over and kerflopped - fortunately beside her. They airlifted her to hospital to check for a possible shoulder injury, but, (her injuries are) not life threatening.". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\"So? We\'re Red Sox fans, psychosis is expected.\"

Hey, isn't that the nature of our sport? I don't even consider a broken bone a severe injury anymore. Not that I want anyone to get hurt, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy... We ARE doing ballet and gymnastics with 1200 lb. animals, and it IS considered an "extreme sport". Does anyone else think that Dan has earned the right to just goof off now? When is enough enough? These horses give their heart and soul to us and trust in us to make these decisions for them. When do the risks to the horse outweigh the rewards to the rider? When do they get to stop? Do they always have to break first? These are our partners, our soulmates.

Thanks Janet. That is helpful information and I know you to be a reliable source.

from H&H;

"Later in the day, American eventing superstar Kim Severson set out at such a lick on Winsome Adante that she, and the horse, were tripped up coming out of Capability's Cutting (north), and flung out of the competition."

The Guardian;

Two of the other favourites fared less well, with Olympic champion Leslie Law retiring Shear H20 after a run-out at the narrow middle element of fence eight and US visitor Kim Severson, the individual silver medallist in Athens, taking a nasty-looking fall at the obstacle out of Capability's Cutting. Thankfully the horse fell clear of her, but she was taken to hospital to have her shoulder X-rayed.

The Telegraph;

American Kim Severson, who was second after the dressage, was highly fancied to add a Burghley title to her two Lexington wins and set off at an aggressive pace. However, a somersault over the second part of Capability's Cutting at fence 14 ended their challenge.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3dazey:
    Thanks Janet. That is helpful information and I know you to be a reliable source. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, Gillian heard it from "someone" at the Loudon HT, so I don't know HOW reliable it is.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

As previously posted on the "Burghley Results" thread:

Good news from the Telegraph's website:
    "Severson, who has won the US Open three times on the 12-year old, including beating Dutton last April, was making her Burghley debut. She was taken to hospital but found only to have a sprained shoulder, and the horse was unhurt."
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

I also heard from a very reliable source that she has a broken collarbone.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her for a super fast recovery. I am so glad she's okay and her horse is okay also. She is the NICEST person I have ever met - she is beautiful inside and out. I just saw her too at Millbrook where we had a pleasant conversation. Scary to think what could have happened. Get well soon Kim!!!!

(Putting extra big flame suit on here) I'm very sorry to hear about Kim and Dan, but I was wondering when that horse was going to be retired. At the top of his game or the bottom?

(Retreating back to my flame-proof home.)
    Do what you like and like what you do!

I believe that Dan is only 13. What is the problem with his continuing to compete as long as he is sound to do so?

I think Dan's gotta a lot left at the top of his game, unfortunately, everyone has a bad day (it just sucks more when you fly across an ocean to have it!). Remember, Pippa fell with BOTH her horses at the SAME fence last year at Badminton...8 months after winning the Grand Slam!

I can't help myself, I must ask why an uncharacteristic oops on the part of one of the greatest cross country horses of our time would lead one to ask "when will he be retired"?

If he was eight, would you say it? At 12/13, he is at the top of his game. Please don't be so foolish as to think his connections will compete him one second past when he should be out there.

You demean anyone who owns, loves and competes an aged horse. (Aged meaning over the age of ten).

(Ewww....I'm glad I donned the flame suit). http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif

I'm not saying because of one bad ride that Dan should retire. It just prompted me to think, what more are they trying to accomplish w/ him? I'd hate to have one bad ride turn into one really bad injury and/or death and take him out in anything other than the top of his game. He's by far one of the greatest horses out there and that has ever been. The truth of the matter is that when you are on top there is very little other place to go but down (or out, as in retirement). I'd hate to see him go down. I'd like to see him retire first. That's all.

And yes, I would say the same thing whether he was 6 or 26, but hey, but that's just my opinion. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif Edited to say it wasn't a post about age or soundness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by displacedyank:
    It just prompted me to think, what more are they trying to accomplish w/ him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you ever dreamed of winning Badminton on a truly great horse? Have you ever dreamed of winning Burghley on a truly great horse? I'd be incredibly surprised if anyone could tell me that Kim Severson has not. I hope that answers your question. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by displacedyank:
    I'm not saying because of one bad ride that Dan should retire. It just prompted me to think, what more are they trying to accomplish w/ him? I'd hate to have one bad ride turn into one really bad injury and/or death and take him out in anything other than the top of his game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw the fall on TV and the preceding part of the round. Kim and Dan were going beautifully. I certainly wouldn't call it a 'bad ride'.

At the fence where they fell, they jumped over a hanging log and down into the lane, then up the bank on the far side, where they should have jumped the log at the top. The horse just met it wrong and breasted it. It was the sort of unfortunate thing that can happen to most people.

I was at Burghley, hoping to see Kim go, but I was waiting two fences further on for her, so didn't see her 'live'.

By "bad ride" I didn't mean anything other than simply a bad experience.