The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Stall Mats

What kind of stall mats do you use? What do you like about them? what do you hate? looking to buy...

Default Interlocking Wall to Wall stall mats !!!!

I have experienced the single mats about five/six in a stalls and now have the wall to wall mats - professionaly installed. WOW !!! What a great way to spend money ~ they make for comfort as well as easier stall maintenance. I recommend the interlock wall to wall type of mat ~ best invention !!!! since vetwrap !!!!
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Apr. 8, 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Not sure if they could as "stall mats", but if I could pick my dream mats they'd be the Comfort Stall or any of the stall mattresses. Since I won't be winning the lottery any time soon I have plain ol' Tractor Supply Co. Individual 4x6 mats. I'm sure I'd prefer the inter locking ones, but well... I went as cheap as I could find. Those things add up fast!

I just purchased some used matts for half the normal cost- did the whole stall with the 4x6x 3/4 inch type. Got them all in yesterday--will see how it goes with them. but in my experience they are better than bare dirt floors, which is what we had before,lol.

I have the 3/4" mats that you need 6 of to do one stall. I love them. I even have them in the groom areas and in my out buildings. You never had to refill dirt that you've dug out cleaning your stalls, you use/waste less bedding. This is the best money I've ever spent.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Quote Originally Posted by CelticRiverDance View Post
    I have the 3/4" mats...I love them. I even have them in the groom areas and in my out buildings. You never had to refill dirt that you've dug out cleaning your stalls, you use/waste less bedding. This is the best money I've ever spent.
    I do too - have them in the stalls, a line of them down the center of my barn aisle (no, they don't even shift!), outside under my barn overhang where I feed the majority of hay, and one in my gravel driveway where we unload the horses from the trailer. Sure makes stepping off the trailer a more pleasant experience for their tootsies.

I'm revamping my saddle/tack storage area in my barn, and picked up two more for the 'flooring' around my saddle rack. Really looks nice and sweeps up quick and easily.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

These from Tractor Supply: http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/...-6-ft--2219003

What I liked about them....they are affordable and look like they will last forever. What I don't like about them is that they are very heavy and hard to move around. They don't interlock and they will "walk" if there is room to do so. They don't cover the entire floor of the stall so they do move around a bit making it necessary to move them back. If you get these make them wall to wall and you'll be happier with them.

The plusses of stall mats in general. I've found that I use less bedding. Less dust. My horses recurring or semi permanent hock sores are finally healing up and going away!!! Yay!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I used Frelonic and love them. They're interlocking but light - about 30 lbs each 4X6' panel, so they're good for the trailer, too. I was warned by others that they may not hold up to everyday use, but honestly, they look new even after abuse by my 1700lbs boy. I highly recommend them, and they're only about $30 more expensive per piece than the TSC ones.

I also have to say that they're softer than the hard rubber mats, so easier on the horse, but as they're closed cell foam they have the same liquid impermeability.
    Last edited by Tommy's Girl; Apr. 9, 2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: more info