The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 6 weeks and still NQR...

About 6 weeks ago, my gelding came in on 3 legs, which appeared to be an abscess in his heel. His leg then stocked up pretty badly. After treating it for several days with no improvement, vet came out and determined it was celluitis. X-rays showed no injury. He was on IV antibiotics for a week, then oral antibiotics and dex. Leg swelling decreased, but fetlock remained swollen. After several weeks, vet put him on Equioxx. He seemed to improve and was walking sound, so turnout time was started again. Now after 6 weeks, he is much better but still NQR. He walks and jogs sound on a straight line, but when he turns or swings his hindquarters around, I notice him wincing as he puts pressure on his heel. He tends to stand with that foot cocked when he is in his stall. Some swelling is still present in his fetlock. Strangest of all, he has developed huge bald patches all over his body. He appears to be shedding out but not growing back the hair. I have seen this before in other horses, but never to this extent. My vet is not yet worried about the hair loss and wants to continue with the Equioxx, but I don't notice much difference when he is on it. I am wondering if there is something else going on besides celluitis? I've never dealt with a case that lasted more than a few days.This is the first health issue I have had with a horse since moving here, so I don't have a lot of experience with this vet. Probably the reason I am second guessing him! Anyway, I would love to hear some other opinions...should I get a second opinion? Continue with the equioxx? Call in my osteopath or chiropractor? Do more diagnostics? Help!!

I haven't had experience with anything like this so I'll simply say that it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. Best of luck with your horse!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Have you had bloodwork done? I would at least run a CBC to look for signs of infection, vet may recommend more bloodwork to rule out metabolic disorders, etc. Alopecia (hair loss) can occur up to 4 weeks after a serious fever, so while unlikely, that's something to consider.

If bloodwork comes back clean, I would think about an MRI or bone scan of the affected joint, which can show more subtle joint issues that aren't captured on rads.

If your vet doesn't seem to be doing all he can, I would suggest a second opinion as well. It can't hurt, and they may have additional ideas. Good luck, keep us posted.

No, I haven't had bloodwork done yet, but that is a good suggestion. Something is just not right since the initial injury. Thanks for your input!

If it were me:
    frst Blood work ... if nothing then
    xrays ..if nothing
    then chiro...my horse had a similiar situation (but no balding). after he healed up , i had him chiroed because he threw him self out of whack from the sore foot and standing funny.

Just my opinion

Has the vet blocked that fetlock?
    If it blocks sound then---
    if you have insurance I would stick that leg in an MRI.

6 weeks is long enough for a horse to start trotting sound in a straight line on a soft tissue injury.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

bigbaytb--I am thinking he is out of whack; he stood on three legs for so long that his muscles atrophied. The balding is what is throwing me off right now; maybe it is unrelated, but considering it started after the injury, I think they are related.

Purplnurpl-- Vet never blocked the joint; we had talked about it but he is pretty convinced this is celluitis. He is sound on a straight line, but on a circle or certain movements still cause him pain. Unfortunately, no insurance on this guy as he was supposed to be a short term sale project.

Hopefully we can find the answers soon.

I would check the vit e and Se levels. I think if the Se is out of whack that can cause hair loss...good luck
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"