The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lessons with a Hunter/Jumper Trainer?

My B/O is having her friend come down from VA.....for a week to give those who want them lessons and im going to be taking an hour to hour an a half lesson from her everyday. What should I wear?? Boots and breeches or jeans and chaps? Should my horse wear a fitted saddlepad or a white square pad and bellboots?

Edit: She is from VA so I cant take lessons from her all the time and my trainer is cool with this and im not going to leave my trainer hanging.

She took her students to Regionals and Nationals in PonyClub also being a Hunter/Jumper Trainer.

Why don't you ask the B/O? Or...you can just show up in britches and boots if its a BNT... although some BNT dont care... Just be neat!

I'd ask someone who knows the coach personally. Some want boots, breeches and a polo or fitted top. Others don't care as much.

okay.

Isn't your trainer a h/j trainer to begin with? If so, wear what you wear to your all the time lessons with her.

If someone new is coming in do the boots or half chaps/breeches/fitted saddle pad/CLEAN horse/Clean tack! First impressions go along way!

I think breeches are always more appropriate in lessons, regardless of whether its your regular trainer or someone new. The horse, tack and equipment should always be clean too.

I would just wear breeches and boots, or schooling tights and boots. I never did my lessons in jeans--it just seemed too casual, plus not as good for my seat. Also since the trainer's a guest I'd view it like my dance lessons--for my regular lessons sometimes I'd wear my street clothes, but if I knew I had coaching with a guest coach I'd spiff it up a bit. They're a guest, I want to look a bit nicer for them.

I don't think you can go wrong with tan breeches and tall boots, a tucked in shirt with a collar (i.e., a polo shirt), neatly contained hair, a conservative saddle pad (square or fitted, but stick with solid white), sparkling clean tack, and a sparkling clean horsie! Have fun at your clinic!

as long as you are clean and tidy, and Beautiful is clean and tidy, it shouldn't matter too much what you wear.

which saddle are you going to use?

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I don't think you can go wrong with tan breeches and tall boots, a tucked in shirt with a collar (i.e., a polo shirt), neatly contained hair, a conservative saddle pad (square or fitted, but stick with solid white), sparkling clean tack, and a sparkling clean horsie! Have fun at your clinic!
    Agreed! When in doubt, dress up rather than down. And make sure your horse is super clean. Does your horse usually wear bell boots, polos, or open front boots? Use whatever saddle pad you normally, but make sure that it is freshly laundered and not dirty. Have fun!

ETA: What discipline is your regular trainer? Not H/J?
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

She's a QH Hunter Trainer.

well, for lessons in my opinion, you should always
    "dress to impress" so.. tan breeches, polished
    tall boots, polished spurs, leather crop, belt,
    helmet w/ no crazy patterns, and a polo or
    fitted sweater. BUT, I guess it depends if it's a BNT
    or some back yard trainer. I would ask the B/O.
    Also make sure your horse and tack GLEAMS! GM Style (:

BTW.. Who are you taking a lesson with?

From my experience with outside trainers/clinicians:

I would say tall boots if you have them (clean paddocks and half chaps if not) with breeches. Polo Shirt or a long/short sleeved tee if you don't have a polo, and tucked in with a belt. No sleeveless shirt - when jumping (or any riding, can be dangerous and they aren't as nice a shirts with sleeves).

As for your horse - wear the same equipment that you would normally use with your trainer - since your horse is probably used to that equipment. Maybe a plain colored square pad with a half pad or fitted pad. Now, if you normally are just flatting without boots or polos and with this trainer are jumping, slap on some open-front, galloping, or polos on the front legs at least (the BNTs usually prefer saddle pads and boots/polos that are neutral colors, black, brown, white, navy, etc...)

And, yeah, ask your trainer if you have questions.