The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Does the US horse market recover?

Trade here in Europe is still a bit slow, only really good ones are in demand. Traders complain a bit that the US market (export) is still bad. Is this the case, or what is the general impression?

I'm by no means in the epicenter of horse country, but in the midwest. Vet friend sees big spending clientelle of her jumper trainer are still buying upper 5 figure, low six figure made horses. I think they were shopping at home (i.e. in US) though. I guess I didn't clarify that. My impression from talking to people and watching friends is that the lower 5 figure horses are not moving as quickly, or only after price reduction (i.e. 25k knocked down to 15). Not that that has anything to do with imports...

But I'm just one lone person and hardly represent the country
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

We have been quite busy this spring and I have several breeder friends with similar programs who are likewise busy and have completed sales on horses ages foal to 4 years old in the last couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    We have been quite busy this spring and I have several breeder friends with similar programs who are likewise busy and have completed sales on horses ages foal to 4 years old in the last couple of months.
    I see a great deal of activity and recovery.

When I bought my mare in early March, the vet check had to be scheduled late in the week because the vet already had 3 other PPE's that same week. They thought the market was picking up.

I think the time of year is helping. The Euro is still pretty bad (although better than it's beeeeeen) for the average US buyer to consider importing. It has to be a very special horse because you're looking at adding an additional 10K to the horse purhcase price just for transport/quarantine.

I was going to get one over there but ended up finding a mare here - and yes she is a special one that happened to be here instead of there.

Considering that some US breeders are producing horses on par with most of Europe, I see no reason to buy over there. There are some SPECTACULAR young horses coming out now, and they are every bit as nice as you would see in the Verden auctions.

We see a lot of activity and sales of horses this spring and breeding's are following the same pattern we saw last year which was up 15% for us. It is still early in the season and I will not know til after July what really happened breeding wise but right now we are busy enough to make for a good year.

I believe many people that did have the money were still reluctant to spend it and many are jumping back in the market now doing what they intended to do in a "normal" economy. Tiered of waiting and going forward living life... Pricing is more advantageous for the buyer, sellers are more eager so until inventory gets tight Europe is not as inviting to buy.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

AND...American breeders don't have the luxury of breeding five hundred foals(subsidized by the govt) to get maybe 100 quality youngsters. We don't have the livestock market that EU does...There are MANY lovely horses bred here in the US.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Yes, in the last couple of months we have had several strong and serious inquiries. Sold one and another going for PPE.

Definitely feel things are picking up.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Things are definitely picking up - both in terms of young horse sales and stallion bookings.

yay

well - i just sold one of my two foals ------ to the usa
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    AND...American breeders don't have the luxury of breeding five hundred foals(subsidized by the govt) to get maybe 100 quality youngsters. We don't have the livestock market that EU does....
    Subsidized by the govt ??? If you could please tell me where I can get a subsidary from the govt than I am happy to aplly for that...
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

Good to hear that times are changing. Although we have some emerging markets in Asia, Middle East and the East of Europe, North America is still tradepartner number one for the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    AND...American breeders don't have the luxury of breeding five hundred foals(subsidized by the govt) to get maybe 100 quality youngsters. We don't have the livestock market that EU does...There are MANY lovely horses bred here in the US.
    Yeah, I'm with Alexandra on this one. And I'm sure quite a few horses in Ireland wish their owners were being subsidized so they didn't starve this winter. And I don't mean that lightly. Horse market in Ireland is atrocious, but that doesn't mean people have quit breeding. Far from it. They continue in the hopes the market will improve and they believe if they aren't breeding they will loose out. This is TB's and sporthorses.

I had a laugh at a letter a TB breeder wrote into our Irish weekly horse paper that covers racing and sport. He wanted an outright ban on AI. Yeah, buddy because it's the sporthorse breeders causing you idiotic TB breeders problems.

I may live in Ireland but I am all for Americans buying American and with there is enough quality being bred right at home.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Inquiries are slowly picking up. Sales are still slow overall, some farms around me are still either downsizing or throwing in the towel/for sale but we seem to be slowly crawling out of the hole. It is still very much a buyers market... but at least showing signs of getting better. It will probably be another year yet until things really start to turn around.

Pony market is still asleep.
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

My vet does a lot of repro work, including Ets, with the racing quarters. He said breeding is down 40%.

I recently sold a colt at 7 days old; I could have sold a half dozen just like him. I have received many inquiries about him and am continuing to receive calls and emails. He is Stedinger x Hohenstein. I have also had many inquiries about my 09 youngsters that I had held as keepers for the farm. As I mentioned, several of my breeder friends with similar programs are also quite busy.

Our general practioner vet said that breeding was 'way down last year and down even further this year. I haven't asked our repro vet who is one of the top ones in the country but will do so.
    Last edited by Sakura Hill Farm; Apr. 11, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Our clinic said breeding was down last year. Seems like the Arabian, Quarter horse and TB market saw as much as 50% declines. Lots of vet work not needed now. There are a heck of a lot more of them then sport horses but we were up last year and seem to be in exactly last years pattern with breedings and besides that the sales on horses is greatly improved.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers