The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Travel from SC to NJ via I-70 to I-695 to I-95 to I-295?

I will be hauling from upstate SC to the Gloucester County Dream Park in Logan Township (Swedesboro), NJ this summer. I drive an F-350 dually crewcab and I haul a 3H slant with living quarters - approximately 45 feet of rig.

I have researched travel routes and have decided to go north on I-85 in SC to I-77 in NC to I-81 into Virginia, and then cross over using I-70 to get to NJ.

The directions say to take Exit 315 off of I-81 onto Virginia Route 7 which will eventually take me to Route 340 which will put me onto I-70 East.

From there, I will take Exit 91B onto I-695 north towards NY.

Then onto I-95 north (Exit 33B) towards NY (portions toll).

Then onto I-295 towards NJ Turnpike, crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge and then exiting at Exit 11B towards Route 130 to get to the Dream Park.

My concerns are traveling through the Baltimore area, crossing the bridge, etc. I don't know what traffic is like in that area. I don't know how doable this route is when hauling a trailer.

I plan to stop overnight along the way and was hoping to stay off of I-81 north of Lexington, VA, so I would be doing the second part of the trip (Virginia Route 7 and onto I-70E on forward) on my second day of travel. My goal would be to be on the road on that second day by 10 AM, hoping that would allow me to avoid traffic problems.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks.

SCM1959

ChronIntern Guest

I've traveled around Baltimore from Northern Virginia too many times to count and it is just fine for a horse trailer. The trick is to not hit Baltimore at rush hour, either in the morning or the evening, or you will hit delays. Other than that the trip is easy and mostly highway.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The Delaware Memorial Bridge into NJ is okay for a living quarters horse trailer (propane tank mounted on outside)?

Thanks so much!

SCM1959

If I am traveling any distance in the summer I want to be on the road by 5 AM to beat the heat as much as possible
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Wouldn't it be shorter to just go I85 to I95 in Va. Just avoid rush hour by a lot going through D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Wouldn't it be shorter to just go I85 to I95 in Va. Just avoid rush hour by a lot going through D.C.
    And easier! I travel from upstate SC to CT very regularly and absolutely refuse to use I-77 anymore. I hated that drive and you couldn't pay me to do it with a trailer. VERY hilly and only 2 lanes each directions. Of course some people prefer that route because there's less worry of traffic, but its always been a longer drive for me by at least an hour. As long as you time it right, I-85 to I-95 is the only way I go now, with or without a horse.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

I live just off 70 and drive to Baltimore for work - I would say it's fine depending on when you hit it. The 70/695 area tends to back up between 7 - 8:30 AM, and again between 5-7 PM.

You probably don't want to be on 695 at all between 4 -7 PM. In the morning, the direction you are going should be OK - it would be really slow where you first get onto 695 but should clear up after that - most traffic in the morning is going the other way except for the west side there.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Check the traffic, there has been a lot of construction between here and DC
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

IF you are traveling on 295/395 through DC with a F350 you will get pulled over. That goes near the Pentagon. A F250 is ok but a F350 is considered commerical.

Route 95 going through Alexandria is a total clustered mess. I drove through it without a horse trailer and cursed many naughty words.

Also going through the Baltimore Tunnel may be an issue with the propane in the Living Quarters.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

It might be faster but there are restrictions on the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore (no propane tanks), and the traffic tends to be atrocious. As long as you're careful not to hit at rush hour, I like taking Rt 7 to 15 to I70. It's hilly, but I've done it with a caravan of trailers, one of which was a (full!) 6 horse head-to-head with tack room. I don't think there are any propane restrictions on the Delaware Memorial Bridge but you might want to check their website to make sure.

If you need recommendations for a place to stay in the Lexington area overnight, PM me. Safe travels!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Another way to go...

I85 to Route 95.

Take Route 95 - Route 207.

Route 207 - Route 301.

Route 301 is at times stop lights but at the right time of the day it is ok. Cross the Bay Bridge and continue on 301.

Go 301 to Route 1 in Delaware. Route 1 will take you to Route 95 in Delaware.

Mr AQHL drives to Philly once a month for his job and that is how he goes. The traffic isn't nearly as gut wrenching. The Bay Bridge can be scarey but doable. He is a big Weenie and hates driving over bridges.

Thanks to everyone for all of the responses.

I am glad to hear about the restrictions through the tunnel in Baltimore; I figured as much. Also thank you for letting me know about an F-350 vs. an F-250 near the Pentagon. Wouldn't it add to the excitement of our trip to be pulled over with the trailer in DC ... ugh.

I have no problems driving on interstates or up and down mountains or even through cities ... but when there are tunnels and bridges involved, I like to know ahead of time if I will be allowed to use them. Also the traffic in the DC area is so horrible most of the time; I don't want to deal with that while hauling a trailer. I also wondered about construction along I-95. I am originally from Massachusetts and I don't know what it is about I-95, but it seems to always be under construction somewhere.

I have actually driven 77 to 81 before, going to West Virginia, and except for the Fancy Gap area, I found the drive to be very easy. No big traffic messes, etc. Not to mention there are so many options to spend the night with the horses along 81.

We are not making this trip until the end of June, but I did want to make my reservation for our overnight stop as soon as possible. According to the maps and my calculations, if we spend the night north of Lexington, VA, our second-day travel should be only 5 hours or so, which is very doable.

SCM1959
    Last edited by SCM1959; Apr. 7, 2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling error

Traffic along 95 once out of the DC area that I know of is not bad right now. However..through DC it is a total freaking nightmare. They are going to be doing more work along that way.

I didn't know about that F350 thing until one of my barn mates told me about it. You do go right past the Pentagon when going to Route 66 that way. I go up 395/295 when traffic is bad on the Beltway. It saves me from having to say naughty words.

I also am from Massachausetts originally..and drove into Boston for the longest time for work. Where the Mass PIke and Route 128 started was the biggest bottleneck EVER. Throw in a car with no heat or when heat was turned on car overheated. Yeah that was fun.

You might want to check out that F250 vs. F350 thing through DC with the State Police. I don't drive that route often, but when I do, it's in my F350...

My only addition is that instead of getting off I-81 onto Route 7, you could take I-81 all the way to I-70 in Hagerstown and avoid local roads entirely. Route 7 and Route 340 are fine for a truck and trailer like yours, but you will be going through smaller towns and two lane roads. If you prefer the Interstate, 81 to 70 should work.

Not sure which town in SC you are leaving from - but I take I-85 to I-95 from SPines, NC to Delaware. You would take 95N into MD to exit 19A (19 miles North of VA/MD line) to Route 50 to Bay Bridge (Route 50 and 301 run together over bay bridge)- then stay on Route 301 North at split past bridge. Follow into Delaware (59 miles) to Boyds Corner Road over to Route 13N to Route 1 North to 295N over De Memorial Bridge. I don't know about restrictions on bridge. You can google Delaware River and Bay Authority for their website and rules.

From VA/MD line - it is just over 2 hours to DE memorial bridge.

If you can plan your trip- leave SC in the evening to drive through VA/MD/DE in the early early am. It's an easy trip- but not with the traffic up here.

FYI- from Raleigh to DE memorial bridge is 7hr w/trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacelt View Post
    My only addition is that instead of getting off I-81 onto Route 7, you could take I-81 all the way to I-70 in Hagerstown and avoid local roads entirely. Route 7 and Route 340 are fine for a truck and trailer like yours, but you will be going through smaller towns and two lane roads. If you prefer the Interstate, 81 to 70 should work.
    She's right. Distance is longer, but time is about the same.

Instead of going across the Delaware Memorial you might continue up 95 to 195 around Trenton and on to 130, but I am not sure where on 130 you are headed. You would have to travel thru Philadelphia (avoid rush hours) but would not have to pay tolls

I love the COTH forums. Always the very best place to get an answer about anything.

I am going to the Gloucester County Dream Park in Logan Township (Swedesboro), NJ.

Regarding the suggestion to go north on 95 and get off onto Route 50 in Maryland; is this the route that goes past Fort AP Hill, over the enormous tall bridge, only 2 lanes each way, through small towns and eventually goes past/near Prince Georges Equestrian Center? If so, I have done this before, on my way to a friend's home in Upper Marlboro. I am fairly ambivalent about that drive; it was okay, but at times was maddeningly slow.

I do think I will stick to my plan of using 77-81 rather than 95 due to the traffic and construction. I did not realize that the time frame might be the same if I continued up 81 to I-70 east; I just might do that, depending on what my traveling companions want to do.

Thank you so much again for all of the responses.

SCM1959

Quote Originally Posted by AppendixQHLover View Post

I didn't know about that F350 thing until one of my barn mates told me about it. You do go right past the Pentagon when going to Route 66 that way. I go up 395/295 when traffic is bad on the Beltway. It saves me from having to say naughty words.
    You can drive any sort of vehicle you want on 395. The only lane/vehicle restrictions are on hazmats through the 3rd St tunnel. What your banmate may have been thinking of was the prohibition of commercial trucks on the GW Parkway, which you can take to cut between 395 and 66 up by the Pentagon.

That's all rather moot, though, because while you CAN drive a rig down 395, I wouldn't recommend going 395/295. There's construction on both the 14th St bridge and the interchange with 295 and it's a nightmare, even at the best of times (and I drive on it daily). You'd be much better going right around the beltway if you want to go straight up 95.