The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Peacock or saftey stirrups: worth the not so nice look?

I was just wondering if you all think that "saftey stirrups" are worth the not so hot/professional look? I've heard that they don't actually do that much for you, and are therefore not worth it. What do you all say? I am now in th market for new stirrups.

Sprenger hinge stirrups? I cannot speak personally to the safety value, but people do claim one. Anyone here have comments? I like them for my knees and ankles.

Safety stirrups don't have to look "unprofessional," although IMO anyone who accused a rider of being "unprofessional" for using safety stirrups is a twit. The Kwik-Out irons look like regular stirrups until your Kodak Moment:
    http://www.pronto.com/compare/kwik-o...ns-10304923491

piggiponiis, I'm pretty sure the OP means the traditional peacock stirrups, the ones with the large rubber bands.

I think it depends on the age/ability of the rider. Most little kids are in peacock irons. Other than that, I rarely see anyone using them. The chances of your foot getting caught, when you think about it, are relatively slim.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I would prefer to go with something like a Sprenger stirrup if you are concerned about safety. I just recently had the stirrup rubber band on a peacock iron snap on me while I was on course and while riding with half a stirrup is certainly not impossible, it was not ideal. The rubber bands are great when you need your foot to come free, but in my experience, tend to overreact and pop loose even when you don't!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Ive been riding a new mare in one of my old extra saddles (only one that fits her) and it happened to have safety stirrups on it from when I was a kid. I've been too lazy to change them out, but I do feel absolutely ridiculous riding in them.

I hate Peacock stirrups. I find that if you go off the side (like a kid usually does they come loose but if you go over the head they don't always let go. I have a lovely picture of my hanging off a horses head cause my foot got stuck in the darn safety stirrup. haha Horse ducked out at the last minute on a 3' fence. I was not expecting it at all. haha I could have just kicked off the side and landed on my feet but i couldn't get my foot loose and didn't dare let go of his neck. haha Someone had to pop my foot out for me. It seems that they like to pop off when you need them on and hold tight when you want them to free your foot.

I don't think so. If your iron is large enough for your foot and you wear the appropriate footgear, I think you're fine. I used to use a school saddle with those peacock irons and they were more annoying than functional I felt. The rubber bands always came off and one time I rubbed my iron on the rail, the band popped off so I was riding around for the rest of my lesson without the durned thing and not even knowing

Most peacock stirrups are only rated to support 100 lbs. Riders who are heavier will encounter the rubber band popping off more frequently.

This is all referring to traditional peacock stirrups with a rubber band:

Be VERY careful when dismounting with peacock stirrups. I once slid off too close to the horse and the front of my thigh was caught on the upturned bit that holds the rubber band in place. My pants were ripped and it bruised awfully and had a long cut very painful and pants were ruined by the rip and blood.

A friend slid off and the same part caught hold between her legs in her "girl parts." Needless to say she was bawling, embarrassed, and her pants got a hole in them as well. This came very close to happening to me but narrow miss, thank goodness.

I gave away my peacocks long ago because of this. But ya'll go right ahead and ride in them if you want! Although it's also not really safe to ride in them with lace up boots...years ago, a friend of mine had her boot laces get caught on that upturned bit that holds the rubber band and she was dismounting. Horse spooked and took off running dragging her until the laces broke free.

They are great if you need them. Riders who can't keep their stirrup on the ball of their foot or their heels down etc.

However there are hazards to them like EVERYTHING else. You just have to weigh pros and cons.

Personal opinion but safety should ALWAYS come before style.

Yes you can get your pants, legs etc caught on them when you dismount if you are not careful. I have seen it happen to little kids who use their saddle to slid down on the dismount.

The rubber band pops of for one of two reasons usually. 1) your foot is shoved to far through the stirrup 2) your stirrup is not the proper size.

I have seen ONE instance of a riders who had their LACE of their tall boot get caught on the hook where the rubber band goes and get dragged.

I have been using the same pair of Kwik-Out stirrups for years, and can swear to the fact that they work when needed and don't look like a safety stirrup the rest of the time. I rode a dirty stopper with a spin, and he frequently put me in the dirt. Somewhere my DH has video of me coming off, showing the outer branch of the stirrup opening up. They just snap back into place and you get back on. Their only drawback is that they occasionally need a drop of WD40 on the hinge if they start to squeak, maybe every couple of years.

I choose to use safety stirrups because my DD, at the age of 9 (she's 24 now) was bucked off, hung up in the stirrup and was kicked in the face by her cantering horse. Her teeth were sheared from her broken jaw, and her face lacerated full thickness into her mouth. Years of surgeries and pain followed.

We can't avoid all risks in life, but we can try to mitigate the ones with the highest consequences. Safety stirrups are a cheap way to reduce risk.

everything has a risk, but i feel like once you're past the 100 lb mark and not a teensy little kid, the cons outweigh the pros. i've seen some pretty unpleasant accidents with peacock irons i've known people to have it catch on their pants and rip a big hole, and worse: i knew a little kid who was just dismounting and it caught her between the legs and that was not pretty. i've seen the rubber bands come undone mid course and it's pretty much impossible to keep your foot in those irons without the rubber band, even though you wouldnt think its that hard. i've seen on one occasion a foot get caught IN BETWEEN the rubber band (granted youre supposed to twist them so that cant happen but this person didnt do that obviously, and a lot of people still dont--because its hard for the rubber band to come undone if your foot is stuck if its tightly wound up. having your foot get caught inbetween a tight rubber band sounds pretty scary and a lot harder to shake your foot out of if youre getting dragged.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    I have seen ONE instance of a riders who had their LACE of their tall boot get caught on the hook where the rubber band goes and get dragged.
    That happened to me, but luckily the pony didn't go very far. But I kept using them for a while after that and they were totally fine.