The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Green113 Guest

Default Porter Leg Protectors

Has anyone used them? Did you like them, and how hard were they to use? Also, did you ever have any problems with the wraps coming undone xc?

Default Porter leg protectors

Hi

I've have and do use them for stadium and CC. I use them with vetrap or the off brands, it's cheap enough to use. I use nearly a full roll on each leg and have never had them slip or come undone. It takes a little practice to get them just right, but after putting them on a couple of times they go really fast. I'd say the most important thing is getting them trimmed to fit you particular horse and when you wrap them, use even tension.

Hope that helps.

There have been a number of threads on Porters - you might want to do a search. Consensus here (and in my experience, replicated in the real world) is that these days boots are preferable to Porters on a regular basis for ease of use, cost, and overall lack of risk. I only use Porters on a horse who for some reason really need a customized fit - even at three days.

Has anyone ever used porters with saratoga bandages? The comments that I have read are mostly people using porters wtih vetrap. My horse has a splint about 3" below his knee on the inside. Currently I wrap (I don't like boots, not a custom enough fit for my pickiness) with no bows and standing wraps for ANY kind of riding (I am really obsessive about his legs), but the one thing I don't like is the thickness you get from the no-bows, wchi is why I was thinking about switching to porters with saratogas. Also, I was told the saratogas are better for xc because they wick water (unlike the system I am using now).

Any constructive advice would be welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuequine View Post
    Has anyone ever used porters with saratoga bandages? The comments that I have read are mostly people using porters wtih vetrap. My horse has a splint about 3" below his knee on the inside. Currently I wrap (I don't like boots, not a custom enough fit for my pickiness) with no bows and standing wraps for ANY kind of riding (I am really obsessive about his legs), but the one thing I don't like is the thickness you get from the no-bows, wchi is why I was thinking about switching to porters with saratogas. Also, I was told the saratogas are better for xc because they wick water (unlike the system I am using now).

I have not heard of anyone using standing bandages to ride in and I wouldn't recommend it. I know for my H-A we had to do exercise bandages with kendell cotton and vetwrap but I don't know if anyone uses those anymore those are pretty old school, I only learned them for my rating to be honest.

Anyway, a set splint shouldn't give you any trouble. My upper level horse came with one and I put nothing on his legs unless I am jumping or galloping. He has been fine for 15 years.

I used to use porters for cross country with him and mostly used vet wrap, although a couple of times I used saratogas, I didn't really like those I thought the vet wrap was better.

I use the american style eventing boots now and they seem to fit comfortably over my horses splint.

I can't imagine ANY situation in which it would be a good idea to ride in standing wraps. They are just not designed for it, and you're risking all kinds of problems, from a bandage bow to a broken neck if they slip and the horse steps on them while cantering. Exercise wraps are quite different, and as ksevnter said, even they aren't commonly used these days. Porters and Saratogas or vet wrap would be a much better choice, but I really think that the newer boots are the way to go if you can find some that fit--and I think you can for the vast majority of horses. I have a horse with lovely clean legs I want to keep clean, too, and I only use boots on him while jumping.

With a splint, unless it's huge, boots that aren't very molded should work well. Things like woof brushing boots or other flexible boots (none come to mind at the moment) should be fine.

I have used them with Saratogas before, with no problems. I had one huge hard to fit horse, on other with a timber shin, and then last fall D's Advanced horse trashed a pair of BoB American Style hind boots at Morven, and I totally forgot to buy new ones to run Prelim the next weekend. I had Porters in the trailer and used those. To me they are easy, fit well, no biggie to put on. I don't stadium in any XC boots at Prelim and above, so had to switch my boots anyway. For that HT I used the fron BoB boots and Porter's with Saratogas behind.

Boot are easier unless you have a hard to fit horse or a boot brain fart like I did. I am running into an issue finding XC boots to fit a 15'1 TB mare. The 3 straps are too small, 4 straps too big, so we'll see what she ends up with, although there is no way in heck she's running Novice in Porters

I do like the BoB American Style boots, they are hardy and seem to fit most horses well. The pair that got trashed were in a small wreck and it was the other hind studs that trashed the boot beyond use. All I could think of was thank the good lord it was the boot that took the brunt of it, and not the horse's leg, he didn't have a mark on him.
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    I can't imagine ANY situation in which it would be a good idea to ride in standing wraps. They are just not designed for it, and you're risking all kinds of problems
    No kidding. I dont think its a case of picky so much as a case of...heck I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuequine View Post

I do/did.

My grey horse has two different sized legs due to an injury as a 3 year old.

He needs porters. I always use my saratogas with those.

never had any issue with them. I don't think they take too long to put on and I do think they look smashing. ; )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!