The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation 3 YO OTTB in Texas FTAH

I was given this horse by the trainer and then promptly lost my job the next day. His rent is paid until May 1st but I need to get him a home ASAP. Contacted the rescues and they are full up with wait lists and suggested here.
    Delm is his registered name and he goes by Del. Mahogany bay with a blaze and four white socks. Great gelding, off the track less than a month. I've had him for exactly 2 weeks an in that time we've mellowed him out and he's been working in the round pen.
    Known Medical issues: inoperable small bone chip in bottom left knee. Does not cause any kind of lameness at all. We're magnetic therapy the knee for the moment. I will try and get the funds to get his knee x-rayed since the ones I have are almost a year old and he was run at least twice after they were taken. He's got a thin sole on one fore foot but a rim shoe fixes it just fine.
    Temperament: 1 being bomb-proof and 10 being off the wall he's a solid 5. He adores children and people, not crazy about dogs. He loads, ties, clips, trims, and vets like a champ.
    Quirks: Loves water! Loves being bathed and will play in the water trough. Does not like chickens roosting on his stall and will chase them out.
    I am in love with this boy and do not want to give him up. If I could just find a great place for him I would appreciate it. I want to keep him but with the job market the way it is I can't guarantee I can keep him.
    Pics upon request please pm me.

Update: Pulled his front shoes and he's fine no thin sole at all. Farrier wants him barefoot to let his feet spread out a bit. He's not tender at all so far.
    Saddled him the past two nights with my western saddle and he was fine. Had a teenager on him last night and he went along just fine. He was on the longe line though. We'll test his rider response tonight and I'll post later on that. Shooting video of him this weekend and will post links for that as soon as I can.

HI, Where in TX are you located? How big is this boy? Do you think he'd be sound enough to hold up to trailriding on a ranch and on neighboring ranches in WTX with a large rider (6'2" man)? Looking for something that is 16- 16.3 hands. Since he's only 3, he may not be done growing yet. Do you think he'll mature in the size range we are looking for? Thanks!

He's already 16hh and his knees are closed (As far as I can tell) Most thoroughbreds are done growing at 2 and rare is the TB that will grow past that. My husband is 6'2 and is in the full body shot with him. I am in Houston, TX and he should be fine for Trail Riding. He's an excellent gelding and doesn't have a preference for male female tall or short. Just pay attention to him and he loves you. I will have pics of hubby riding him this weekend and you can see what you might look like. Now my hubby is skinny as a rail and Del is typical racing horse with narrow withers and legs for freakin miles but at least you can guess where your legs might hit. Me at 5'2 is likely to look like a flea on him.

Thanks for the quick response! Actually, all horses, regardless of breed, grow until they are 6 yrs old. Their musculoskeletal structures mature from the ground up, and the spine is the last series of joints to "close" and that happens between 5 and 6. I don't even start my babies under saddle until they are a full 4 yrs old. And that year is just super light, fun work.

As for the knees, they might be fine by his current age, or they might not, but it's really impossible to tell if his knees are closed without x-rays. Learned that after working for 2 different equine vets. Doesn't really matter because he'd only be messed with and lightly ridden until he was 5 or so.

How can I see the pictures? I've only got access through the Blackberry, and I'd really love to see him.

I forgot to mention that I'm located between Houston and Austin, slightly closer to Austin.

Edit: More pics and vid of hubby riding him.
    http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...atigress/Delm/
    Pics of the boy. Not sure how you would be able to see his pics on a black berry but here are the ones I do have up and I can email them to you if you like.

Del took to saddle like a champ, my 7 y/o is the one taking the pics and the video. My hubby is not the best rider but he did amazingly well even with the rain on the roof and the thunder booming. Hubby looked good on him too not at all too big.
    http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=MVI_0233.flv

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...m/IMG_0232.jpg
    Last edited by leilatigress; Apr. 10, 2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: More Info

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've been out of the office and don't have any internet access at home except for the Blackberry, which is extremely limited. Finally got to look at the pictures. He's HANDSOME!!! Reminds me ALOT of my 2nd horse, Chancey, many years ago, also an OTTB darker bay with 4 socks and some white on his face. Those pics really took me back. I'll forward the pics on the guy I'm thinking he might work for, and see what he thinks. Man, I wish I had room for another for myself! He looks SO much like Chancey. Best show horse I ever had, too, and I rescued him from an abusive and neglectful situation. Took a year just to rehab him to good health, but turned out to be a fabulous partner. Many, many years ago...

Hubby and I have been riding him every day about 45 min to an hour at a time. I actually rode him English today with 0 issues at all. He is still perfectly sound and we did trot a bit today with no issues. If I can get him to canter this week I'll let you know. I need to re-read my manual on how to ride him into the canter as my normal cue of lets go "kick and a verbal canter" produces nothing but him looking at my leg. On the lounge line I can get him into the canter with hubby on board but me by myself its nothing. He is the most laid back gelding I have ever met.

Hello can you private message me spifytify2@aol.com

You actually PM'd my add about him from my ad. I'm interested I just want to know more about him.

Del has found a forever home with a really great family. Thank you all for the help and the interest.