The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crushing pills

My horse gets 10 pills, 3 times a day, all of which need to be crushed to go into her feed. Is there a quick method to do this? I was crushing them up ten at a time, but it was taking forever. It took me a few hours just to crush up enough to last 16 days!

What are they? Some pills will dissolve in a syringe-full of warm water and then you can put the paste in feed or mix with molasses, applesauce, etc.

I like using a coffee grinder. $10.00. But a very good, time saving expense. Works really well for grinding up all sorts of things, including meds.

Yup, home coffee grinder (Krups is VERY good).

Just remember: WAIT to open it after grinding for the dust to settle, otherwise you'll inhale the p-o-o-f and COUGH! ....ask me how I know
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I find the coffee grinder works well, but dusty, I end up with pill dust all over the damned kitchen.

So, I got one of these:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=1078

I love it.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I just put pills in a zip lock bag and crush them with the back of a wooden handled brush. I use the back of the brush like a hammer. Because the surface area of the brush is so broad, it quickly turns the pills into powder.

If the pills are the kind that for some reason won't dissolve in water, I put them in a plastic ziploc bag and use a rolling pin (for making pie crusts) to crush them.

The ziploc bag and a meat tenderizer, or rubber mallet works great on even the hardest pills. I crush huge, rock hard cimetidine pills 25 at a time in a ziploc baggie and it takes about 5 seconds to do them all

If by chance your pills are SMZs, they disolve in water in just a few seconds.

coffee cup, and handle of a big screw driver

kind of a motar/pestele thingy

I have a pill crusher sort of like MunchkinsMom, only a much older version. I was crushing Prednisolone (56 tablets), and giving myself carpaltunnel (sp??)....then I realized that they dissolve in water. Duh!!!

*One problem solved..created another

I'm worried I'll lose too much of the medication if I use a coffee grinder, but I might give that a try. I love the looks of the pill crusher, though, and will definitely try that out first!

My mare is on carbamazepine for her headshaking. It might dissolve in water, however, my barn makes it mandatory for medications to be separated in baggies and ready to be put directly in the feed. She gets this three times a day, 8 months of the year, so I want to make it as easy for them as possible.

Tell me, why does smartpak not ship to Canada so they can have them ground up for me? And why they don't carry that particular drug?
    Last edited by Clever Pony; Apr. 7, 2010 at 11:07 PM.

You might ask if the pharmacy where you get the drugs can crush it up for you, and give you the proper dose in teaspoons or whatever dry measure is handy and accurate.
    Click here before you buy.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Clever Pony View Post
    I'm worried I'll lose too much of the medication if I use a coffee grinder, but I might give that a try. I love the looks of the pill crusher, though, and will definitely try that out first!

My mare is on carbamazepine for her headshaking. It might dissolve in water, however, my barn makes it mandatory for medications to be separated in baggies and ready to be put directly in the feed. She gets this three times a day, 8 months of the year, so I want to make it as easy for them as possible.

Tell me, why does smartpak not ship to Canada? And why they don't carry that particular drug?
    If it is the pill crusher you need, other companies sell it, here is it on Valley Vet:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h..._content=29669
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

If you want to go the water route, when I boarded and my horse needed SMZs I would put water and the meds in an empty water bottle and have the staff give it a good shaking before dumping it in. Just as easy for the staff as baggies and you can keep reusing the bottles.
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

I soak the bute my horse needs in a small amount of beet pulp which masks the (probably awful) taste.
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY