The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best place to advertise boarding

So we're switching our facility over from a lesson based barn to a boarding/showing barn. However, other than craigslist and local tack/feed stores, I'm at a loss of where to advertise. If it helps, I'm located in north, central NC.
    TIA!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

IME it helps to advertise in the show program of the discipline you're targeting. So if you're going for local-level dressage clients, advertise at a nearby local-level dressage show. Be really explicit in the ad about the new direction the barn is taking because the real point is to attract boarders who are not actively looking to move. Lots of people stay where they are because don't realize there's another option.

Sidelines Magazine seems to be pretty popular down there.

Isn't there a Carolina Horse and Hound website also???

You have a website, one of the things you can do is make sure that your site will come right up if someone googles boarding in your area, so you may need to tweak the site a little to achieve that.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

You can mention to your vet and farrier that you're changing your business model too ... they may know of clients who're looking to switch.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Thanks guys! Awesome suggestions!

ReSomething- What changes need to be made for that?
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

I've gotten a ton of response from newhorse.com and I'm going to have to unlist myself since I never have room! It typically comes up close to the top when someone googles boarding.

I'm now offering boarding by invitation or referral only if I happen to have room.
    Last edited by KristiKGC; Apr. 6, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Just to add, times I've looked for a boarding barn it has been so difficult to find some of them. There are a dozen that everyone knows about - they host shows, they're big, they're right on the road and you drive by the sign every day; they are listed in the local horse directories.

But as I started asking around I discovered there's dozens more that are "hidden" - no sign, no website, no listing in regional directories, no ads in the regional publications, they don't host shows... the only way to discover them seems to be word of mouth, which is a shame, because that means only people who know someone who knows someone will ever find them. Maybe they have plenty of boarders and don't want more.

I called and called around and discovered some nice ones I considered, and heard rumors of even more that no one quite knew whether they were still there or how to reach them ("I think there was a place down on such and such road - the big white house by the nursery? no, south of that. yeah, they used to have driving horses I think, or maybe it was hunters...")

In any case, if you do want more or new boarders it really helps to be as "public" as possible!!

www.localhorse.com is another great site to advertise boarding on.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I second ReSomething's advice. I don't know how you can make sure you come up if someone googles the area but I know I used google to find where to board when I moved to college.

I can't believe no ones's suggested this:

nchorsenews.com
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

I googled *horse boarding in High Point NC* (without quotes) 400 hits and your siggy site didn't come up at all or got lost in the shuffle - looking at your site I don't actually see the keywords horse boarding anywhere, you'll have to get back to the website designer to enrich your site with keywords that will come up on a search, also to change the site to represent your new focus.

And what Twofatponies said about "hidden facilities" is so so true!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I think we are one of those "hidden" barns. We are a relatively small facility and while we attend the shows in the area, we don't bring a herd of horses and kids. A lot of our new clients have mentioned that they didn't really know of us back here which is one of the reasons we're wanting to advertise more.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Well, it's a little new fangled, but having a Facebook Group wouldn't be a bad idea. It's easy, it helps spread the word that you're out there, etc.

For the search engines it mostly helps to make sure you have text in your website that includes at some point all the specific key terms, like: horse boarding, location, acreage, facilities (so many paddocks, indoor arena, wash stalls, etc.), what kind of training. The more specific you are, the easier it is for people to find you in search engines. (imagine what people will be searching for "horse boarding, newton, ny" or "dressage barns near charleston" or "dressage boarding in tucker county". Location is important for that reason. You might describe your location by county or region as well as naming the specific city and state, since people sometimes search that way.

I don't know how many sites I've gone to where I cannot for the life of me figure out where they are! Not on the home page, not on the contact us page - could be Wyoming, could be Vermont, heck, could be France.

The Facebook page is a great idea too - you can use it to announce barn news, from new arrivals to schooling shows or social events. Put the website address on the facebook page, and vice versa.