The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

I thought some of you might like to see how horse slaugher town residents feel about living with a horse slaughter plant in their community!

When will these plants finally get the message that we (most Americans) dont want them here?! What part of we dont want you in our communities and we dont want our horses brutally exploited and slaughtered do these idiots NOT understand?! I for one am sick to death of them "lawyering up" in order to force their dispicable trade upon our country!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localn...thorse.1234a6c5.html

Kaufman may close slaughterhouse

Dallas Crown lawyer says horse plant would take legal action

08:27 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 16, 2005

By JIM GETZ / The Dallas Morning News

KAUFMAN – The Dallas Crown horse-slaughtering plant, already the
    target of opponents ranging from its neighbors to Congress, now
    faces action by a city board that could shut the facility down.

City Council members voted unanimously Monday to turn over to the
    city's Zoning Board of Adjustments the question of whether the plant
    has violated city nuisance laws. If that panel rules that is the
    case, it could order the plant closed.

"I think the community is asking that we not play footsie," council
    member Paula Hagler Wampler said, referring to neighbors'
    complaints, "and if this is the first council that can do it, so be
    it."

If the Board of Adjustments votes at its Sept. 27 meeting to shutter
    the plant, Dallas Crown attorney Mark Calabria said Monday, there
    would probably be a legal action filed to oppose the closing.

Mr. Calabria did just that a year ago, when the city shut off the
    plant's sewer service after it had repeatedly overloaded the city's
    wastewater system. District Judge Erleigh Norville ruled that the
    plant should continue to operate and ordered both sides into
    mediation over wastewater issues. Since then, testing has resumed
    and the two sides are edging toward a new sewer permit.

Mr. Calabria also pointed out that an inspection by the Texas
    Commission on Environmental Quality found no violations in July, and
    that the U.S. Department of Agriculture has an inspector on site
    during business hours.

"I think we could get it all worked out in mediation," Mr. Calabria
    said. "I think these are problems that can be solved. It's nothing
    that's not fixable. It's a never-ending stream of complaints, and it
    seems to come from the same small group."

But City Manager Curtis Snow told the council Monday that the
    wastewater violations were only one nuisance they could use to
    justify referral to the Board of Adjustments.

Other allegations include bad odors, uncovered containers of
    byproducts outside the plant, storage of livestock without
    sufficient space, trucks driving in the city uncovered and at times
    dripping liquids, and a general loss in the quality of life in the
    neighborhood. An investigation by Kaufman police in July and early
    August found all to be true except the allegations about the trucks.

"The facts of the matter are that even though Dallas Crown does
    everything it can to protect the food processing for human
    consumption, the company is less diligent about ancillary processes
    for the by-products," Mr. Snow wrote in a report. "What the
    neighbors are complaining about is Dallas Crown's handling of those
    parts of the animals that are not for consumption."

Robert Eldridge, who has argued that his mostly poor, black
    neighborhood has been a victim of environmental racism because of
    the plant, said Tuesday, "It's a good start. ... Our neighborhood
    was very appreciative of their actions. But we're not going to stop.
    Next we're going to start working on the people in Washington, so
    when it goes away, it goes away for good."

There are two tracks about to proceed in Congress against horse
    slaughtering. The first began this summer, when the U.S. House
    overwhelmingly approved an amendment to the annual spending bill for
    the Agriculture Department to bar money from being spent to inspect
    horse-slaughtering operations. It will probably be introduced in the
    Senate after Congress returns from recess Sept. 6. But those
    spending measures would result in only a one-year ban. A permanent
    ban might be introduced in both chambers, also after Sept. 6.

E-mail jgetz@dallasnews.com
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

I thought some of you might like to see how horse slaugher town residents feel about living with a horse slaughter plant in their community!

When will these plants finally get the message that we (most Americans) dont want them here?! What part of we dont want you in our communities and we dont want our horses brutally exploited and slaughtered do these idiots NOT understand?! I for one am sick to death of them "lawyering up" in order to force their dispicable trade upon our country!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localn...thorse.1234a6c5.html

Kaufman may close slaughterhouse

Dallas Crown lawyer says horse plant would take legal action

08:27 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 16, 2005

By JIM GETZ / The Dallas Morning News

KAUFMAN – The Dallas Crown horse-slaughtering plant, already the
    target of opponents ranging from its neighbors to Congress, now
    faces action by a city board that could shut the facility down.

City Council members voted unanimously Monday to turn over to the
    city's Zoning Board of Adjustments the question of whether the plant
    has violated city nuisance laws. If that panel rules that is the
    case, it could order the plant closed.

"I think the community is asking that we not play footsie," council
    member Paula Hagler Wampler said, referring to neighbors'
    complaints, "and if this is the first council that can do it, so be
    it."

If the Board of Adjustments votes at its Sept. 27 meeting to shutter
    the plant, Dallas Crown attorney Mark Calabria said Monday, there
    would probably be a legal action filed to oppose the closing.

Mr. Calabria did just that a year ago, when the city shut off the
    plant's sewer service after it had repeatedly overloaded the city's
    wastewater system. District Judge Erleigh Norville ruled that the
    plant should continue to operate and ordered both sides into
    mediation over wastewater issues. Since then, testing has resumed
    and the two sides are edging toward a new sewer permit.

Mr. Calabria also pointed out that an inspection by the Texas
    Commission on Environmental Quality found no violations in July, and
    that the U.S. Department of Agriculture has an inspector on site
    during business hours.

"I think we could get it all worked out in mediation," Mr. Calabria
    said. "I think these are problems that can be solved. It's nothing
    that's not fixable. It's a never-ending stream of complaints, and it
    seems to come from the same small group."

But City Manager Curtis Snow told the council Monday that the
    wastewater violations were only one nuisance they could use to
    justify referral to the Board of Adjustments.

Other allegations include bad odors, uncovered containers of
    byproducts outside the plant, storage of livestock without
    sufficient space, trucks driving in the city uncovered and at times
    dripping liquids, and a general loss in the quality of life in the
    neighborhood. An investigation by Kaufman police in July and early
    August found all to be true except the allegations about the trucks.

"The facts of the matter are that even though Dallas Crown does
    everything it can to protect the food processing for human
    consumption, the company is less diligent about ancillary processes
    for the by-products," Mr. Snow wrote in a report. "What the
    neighbors are complaining about is Dallas Crown's handling of those
    parts of the animals that are not for consumption."

Robert Eldridge, who has argued that his mostly poor, black
    neighborhood has been a victim of environmental racism because of
    the plant, said Tuesday, "It's a good start. ... Our neighborhood
    was very appreciative of their actions. But we're not going to stop.
    Next we're going to start working on the people in Washington, so
    when it goes away, it goes away for good."

There are two tracks about to proceed in Congress against horse
    slaughtering. The first began this summer, when the U.S. House
    overwhelmingly approved an amendment to the annual spending bill for
    the Agriculture Department to bar money from being spent to inspect
    horse-slaughtering operations. It will probably be introduced in the
    Senate after Congress returns from recess Sept. 6. But those
    spending measures would result in only a one-year ban. A permanent
    ban might be introduced in both chambers, also after Sept. 6.

E-mail jgetz@dallasnews.com
    www.horse-protection.org

I read about this last night on the Habitat for Horses site. What wonderful news! Just wish these things were acted on more quickly and not held up by "lawyered up" corporations. Isn't there a no slaughter law in Texas that's not being enforced due to a lawsuit?
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SafeHorses:
    I read about this last night on the Habitat for Horses site. What wonderful news! Just wish these things were acted on more quickly and not held up by "lawyered up" corporations. Isn't there a no slaughter law in Texas that's not being enforced due to a lawsuit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there is!

In 2002, John Cornyn then the Attorney General of Texas, handed down a ruling that a long uncovered TX state law prohibited the slaughter of horses for human consumption. It seems that the law always existed (at least since 1949) however, no one realized it was on the books til 2002!

When the Attorney General's office handed down the ruling on the law, both Tarrant County and Kaufman County filed action to close the plants down. The plants filed an injunction (which they were granted) in order to keep running while a federal lawsuit they had also filed was litigated. The lawsuit is based on the plants contention that because they are federally licensed to slaughter horses, the federal law should supercede TX state law.

The final briefs were filed on this case in January of 2003, however the judge hearing the case, has yet to come forward with his decision. So, in the meantime, the plants are running business as usual, violating TX state law and a whole variety of other laws and ordinances.

They have absolutely NO regard for American laws, culture or beliefs. Their response to every attempt to rid our country of their unwanted presence is to "lawyer up"!
    www.horse-protection.org

Isn't Federal law an American law?
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isn't Federal law an American law? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, County it is. And they violate our federal laws every day of the week, as well.
    www.horse-protection.org

Which ones? If our court system has ruled that a decision has to be made and they operate until then what is being violated? And if there breaking laws and our legal system is doing nothing about it whose fault is that? For or against really isn't the question for this that I can see its more does one beleive in our court system or not?

I think if one is to be totally honest each side will do what they can with our legal system. If anyone actually beleives that a ruling in favor of the slaughter houses means the anti slaughter groups will say " Oh well we lost were giving up now " I have a bridge to sell them.

I don't disagree county, but if there was one guy in Congress (Goodlatte) and one judge in Texas (don't know the name) who was standing in the way of the pro slaughter crowd, there would be much indignation on that side too.

At the very least you have to acknowledge that the numbers have been on the anti slaughter side...over 200 co-sponsors of last year's bill which would have meant certain victory in the house, yet ONE MAN decided to stop the process.

I am not as familiar with what happened in Texas, but there was a fight in the legislature about the anti slaughter law and it was upheld by the duly elected members of the Texas legislature only to be put aside by one judge who has taken over TWO YEARS to make a decision.

If anyone thinks that some carefully placed corporate money hasn't helped out the pro slaughter side, then I have a bridge to sell as well.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by county:
    Which ones? If our court system has ruled that a decision has to be made and they operate until then what is being violated? And if there breaking laws and our legal system is doing nothing about it whose fault is that? For or against really isn't the question for this that I can see its more does one beleive in our court system or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we can start with the Humane Slaughter Act and the Humane Transportation of Equines to Slaughter Act. These are two federal laws that the horse slaughter plants routinely violate each and every day.

However, I dont think we can blame this one on the courts. The blame here lies strictly on the bodies who are charged with enforcing these laws, ie..USDA/APHIS. It is pretty difficult to prosecute lawbreakers when no one could be bothered to enforce the laws.
    www.horse-protection.org

Jerry Finch, the founder of Habitat for Horses, and a leading figure in the fight to end horse slaughter in this country, posted a couple of pictures on his website while he was in Kaufman working with the people there to close Dallas Crown down. The pictures in question aren’t gory, but they really hit home for me and I wanted to share them with you (with his permission, of course). He took the first Sunday of a holding pen at the Dallas Crown facility in Kaufman, TX.

Kaufman on Sunday
    CAPTION: This is what we're fighting against. This is what the anti-slaughter movement is all about. There is no difference between these horses and the horses we have at the ranch and in foster homes. None, except by noon tomorrow, these will all be dead.

The second picture was taken Monday morning while they processed all the horses they had on site:

Kaufman on Monday
    CAPTION: Bloody faces, look alikes for so many horses that I've known. Ten minutes after I took this shot, these horse were screamed at, chased by a man carrying a large whip and disappeared down the final ramp.

These horses look like many of the horses we all own or try to rescue. They are the real faces of those unlucky enough to end up at one of those plants. They aren't old or dying...they all look pretty healthy to me. These pictures have bothered me all week and all of the horses in these pictures were slaughtered Monday in Kaufman. I don't want their deaths to be completely senseless. I want to share them with all of you so that those of you who share my desire to end slaughter can perhaps be motivated to do something very important to help stop the insanity.

Contacting the Congress

This link will take you to a webpage that will help you find your Senators and Represenatives and how to contact them. If you want to help, please email the Senators from your state and ask them to vote for the Ensign Amendment this Fall. This amendment is the companion of the Sweeney Amendment that was passed earlier in the summer. These amendments to the 2006 Agricultural Appropriations bills will defund USDA inspectors at slaughterhouses and the borders, thereby shutting down for a year.

Later in the year the drive to pass HR 503 and it's companion Senate bill, the AHSPA (American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act), will begin. These bills will outlaw slaughter on a more permanent basis. Please contact both your Senators and your Representative and ask them to become co-sponsors.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

Safehorses,

Thank you for posting those pictures. This is exactly WHY we fight so hard for these horses!

The photos soundly prove that there is NO such thing as the "unwanted" horse or as Tim Cordes (USDA/APHIS)likes to call them.. "unusable" horses.
    The slaughter plants use this propaganda in order to fool people into believing that what they do is somehow "necessary". TOTAL B.S.!

Isnt it funny how the number of so-called "unwanted" horses is always equal to whatever the market demand for horsemeat is abroad? Doesnt everyone find this curious?

When the EU demand was for the meat of 350,000 horses, 350,000 were slaughtered. Last year the EU demand was for the meat of 60,000 horses, and 60,000 were slaughtered. This has nothing at all to do with unwanted horses. The horses purchased for their meat were simply offered for sale, and subsequently sold to the highest bidder. If the EU demands 100,000 horses this year, that is what the killers will buy.

BTW, Jerry has some pictures of what the poor folks that live next to Dallas Crown must endure on a daily basis. Perhaps you could ask him for those and post the links here. I have access to the photos, but I am techno-challenged and do not know how to properly link them in.
    www.horse-protection.org

I've seen the videos and pics of the horses hanging and bleeding out but the picture of that grey horse is haunting. What a helpless feeling at this moment. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif The chestnut to his right is (sorry, make that WAS)breathtakingly beautiful...look at that neck. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

May we finish out this year with the truth coming out.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Please post more pictures like these,they are VERY important,those are young healthy horses,that should have a long useful life.

No sign of old and debiltated horses there in those shots.

Please post more up to date pictures from the slaughter houses.

People need to see for them selves the type of lovely animals going through this disgusting process.

Thank you fOr posting these pics.HEARTWRENCHING AS IT IS.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

I helped my daughter deliver her 4-H hog project to the packing plant yesterday. I can assure you that all the animals at the plant looked healthy. I guess I shold post a picture of that.

The way to stop the slaughter houses is to stop the supply. As long as we have breeders that breed anything that will catch there will be slaughter. Until then it is a necessary part of the livestock process.

LostFarmer...the pro slaughter crowd likes to justify the Dallas Crowns of the world by stating that they take care of the old, sick horses that need to be euthanized. These pictures put the lie to that justification.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

More haunting than the gray horse, are the endless number of shipper certificates we have acquired that have the DOA's listed on them.

How horrible does the lack of concern and compassion have to be that a percentage of these horses are dead upon arrival at these plants? How come the USDA doesnt ENFORCE the existing laws that are "supposed" to protect horses? Answer...they couldnt be bothered.

Time and time again I hear the pro-slaughter camp state that we just need to enact better laws...to make it "more humane" etc, etc...
    To this I say, we already have these laws!!!!!!!! None of the bodies who are charged with enforcing these laws gives a rats hiney about enforcing them!! No of them ever will.

This story is a classic USDA non-enforcement..

Tim Cordes reported that not too long ago, 5 horses had to be "sent to the head of the line" upon arrival at Cavel, so horrific were the injuries they sustained during transport.

He went on to say that the horses involved were horses brought in from a "notorious" Canadian supplier and that even the people at Cavel are sickened by this guy. Of course, we have already had a run in with Mr. Irvine when we rescued Montana from one of his loads this past May. Not to mention the shipper certificates we have with his DOA's on them!

At any rate, the shocker here, beyond the fact that the 5 horses arrived at the plant in such a horrific state and were sent "to the head of the line" rather than being humanely euthanized as is required by law, is that according to Mr. Cordes, the Canadian shipper cannot be prosecuted because he is not a US citizen.

HUH????? WHAT the HECK is this guy talking about????? Excuse me, but does that then mean that any non-USA citizen can come into this country and not have to abide by any US law?
    So evidently, if you were to listen to the law as reported by Mr. Cordes, these truckers could essentially drive 90++ miles per hour,be drunk and kill someone and they would be immune from prosecution because they are "exempt" from US laws??

This is the kind of B.S. we hear from these people all the time. The USDA has fined one individual $500.00 for transport reg violations this year. PUH-LEEZE!!!

Even one of the better USDA inspectors on duty at Cavel is disgusted by the whole lack of enforcement. However, he is apparantly not disgusted enough to blow the whistle on all the many violations he has witnessed. Im still hoping and praying that one day he will come forward (I feel he is a good man who does have a conscience and good sense of distinguishing right from wrong)and blow that whistle on all the horrific cruelties he has witnessed.

Any USDA inspector out there who would actually care to stand up and make a difference and bring these perpetrators to justice, should contact us at the NHPC. We can provide whistleblower protection under the direct supervision of Congressman Whitfield or any of the anti horse slaughter bill sponsors.
    www.horse-protection.org

LostFarmer, I understand that you are coming to this from an agricultural perspective, but don't you think our throwaway culture and lack of responsibility toward the equines we breed and compete may enter into the picture as well?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Well how about an opinion from someone who lives in Kaufman County (me)? Dallas Crown is right off of 175, a MAJOR highway. It is disgusting. I don't know about the actual cleanliness of it, I just mean the fact that I have to drive by it everyday and see horses who are about to DIE standing around awaiting their deaths. I have to pass it anytime I want to drive into Dallas. I have to pass it if I want to go to the tack store or take my horses to a show. You can see the horses outside and it is very hard to look at (I only actually turned my head and really looked at it once...when I realized that you could see the horses outside, some of them with their heads up looking around the unfamiliar surroundings, it made me so sad, I have made a point NOT to look at it since).

It is really sad that an animal can live a life of servitude and benefit human beings so greatly, only to be thrown away and die an undignified, undeserved death. People need to take some responsibility and not just "get rid of" horses because they have an issue or are no longer needed. I have a barn full of older horses that I will never sell because, quite frankly, Dallas Crown is right down the street and it is very possible that one of them could end up there. This is especially true because they are older and have soundness issues. I feel like owners have an obligation to find their horses the best situations possible when they sell a horse, and pass over new homes that might not be good matches. We can at least do that for them. There are auctions out here ALL THE TIME and who knows how many of those horses end up at the slaughterhouse. Young and healthy included. It's so sad.

Well anyway, just wanted to let everybody know that is important to get this thing closed and I am glad it has become so public!

How is any of this diiferant for cattle, hogs, etc.? And how does breeding make it the problem? The reason thweres any business is demand and profit, take away either one and theres no business its basic economics.