The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to soak a horse foot without it getting wet?

I have to soak my foundered horses feet. However, the duct tape holding the lily pad won't stick to a recently dried hoof. Too much moisture. I think someone may have mentioned using large animal I.V. bags but is there something else. I did the garbage bag, even the contractor style (thicker) but it still leaked. I had something that I used over the cast on my broken foot, is there a equine equivalent?

I am not familiar with lily pads, but can you put the pad on, put a paper or plastic bag or diaper over that, and then apply the duct tape? That way the tape is sticking to the dry surface of the bag/diaper, rather than to the damp foot. Paper or diaper would be breathable, which might be useful (plastic would hold in heat and moisture and might make a fungusy situation in the long run). Just an idea...

Rather than finding something stickier, why not use a hair dryer or heat gun to dry the foot more?

Well, the point is moot right now. Vet says to not soak him.

Buy a soaking boot.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I know you said you're not to soak him anymore...but I second the baby diaper suggestion. I had one who would NOT stand in a bucket, so I'd take a diaper, dump epsom salts and warm water, then tape it on. Worked for him. Last summer I had a horse we were concerned about foundering, and he would stand in his ice buckets, then I used poultice to keep his feet cool. Would that help for your horse? Whenever I have a potential abscess threat in a horse with not so great feet, I opt to do the diaper/epsom salts or the epsom salts poultice instead of soaking. Seems better on their feet.

ditto epsom paste! great stuff without the need for water. I also had a really bad abcess and did AJ Ice poultice, plastic bag over it and lots of duct tape to stay wet for 2 days and it worked. She had been on 3 legs for 4 days prior and nothing was working

IV bags are great to soak in thought, don't know anything easier!