The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default House Sitting-chicken laid an egg with no shell!

I'm house sitting, and tonight went out to close the chicken coop and pick up any straggler chickens and place them in the coop. I had a flash light and when I set the hen down I saw a small egg on the floor, I picked it up and realized it had no shell!

Very interesting, I googled it and I guess it means no harm to what ever hen laid it. What can I do with it? The one hen I had to put in the coop seemed intrigued by it and almost investigated it with her beak, I assume she was going to eat it, would that be appropriate?

Rare but I've seen it happen a few times in many years... I do NOT let the chickens eat eggs- shells or no shells

I'll find an egg like this about 2 or 3 times a year. I just throw them away when I find them. I'm hesitant to eat them without the protection of the shell and I do not ever encourage any chicken to eat an egg, shell or no shell.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

the chickens might need more calcium in their diet.

I have heard it happens from time to time, a lady I worked with part timed in a chicken house - the big kind.

Chickens eat about everything...I don't know if they do get a taste for eggs and turn cannibals tho....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I had an egg with no shell last week. I feed my extra eggs to the dogs and let my chickens have the shells. They are a good source of calcium.

How does that work? Do you get the egg with the membrane but no hard shell? Very strange! I agree not to let them eat it- it can start them eating all of the eggs.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Happens about 3-5 times a year in my flock. I figure it is just a nature's oopsie. My hens get egg shells from the kitchen (great "recycled" source of calcium) and the dogs scarf up the cracked/odd/dear god I have too many eggs eggs.

I have a hen who is laying teeny tiny "pullet" sized eggs occasionally. What does that mean??
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

We get one of those eggs from time to time. We feed oyster shells in with their feed ever so often. It makes their shells stronger. We NEVER feed them eggs. Once they get a taste for it they will eat them. We noticed we were getting fewer eggs once...We kept an eye on things and one particular chicken was in the coop having a feast. She went to free range at someone elses farm with a rooster to reproduce. We just have layers with no rooster.

I've seen quite a few shell-less eggs. You can hard boil them, and then you don't have to peel them!!! Hard boiling will kill any bacteria that are in them, but really, egg shells are very porous anyway so bacteria get inside shelled eggs too.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    I've seen quite a few shell-less eggs. You can hard boil them, and then you don't have to peel them!!! Hard boiling will kill any bacteria that are in them, but really, egg shells are very porous anyway so bacteria get inside shelled eggs too.
    poached egg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The hens need more calcium, oyster shells are great or like other posters the egg shell works also.

As to the small eggs that uselly means that the hen is just starting to lay, but sometimes you will get a hen that will not lay very big eggs.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Depends on the breed too. Certain breeds are bigger and lay bigger eggs BUT you also must feed them more. It also means they are just coming into their laying cycle or are young. The egg eventually get bigger.