The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Barn has 5 walls up! Its like Chirstmas!

We started putting the barn up on Saturday and we got 5 walls up! Next weekend, the rest of the walls should come up and I can start putting in all the stalls, which should only take a day to do! I am debating on staining/varnishing the barn, but I probably wont get around to that until next year since i am leaving at the end of May and need to save all my money I can. Anyway, I have some questions. I am going to start off having 5 stalls. I will have a wash bay and a tack room and then that leave me with another 12x12 area that IDK what i want to do with. I always figured I would want a 6th stall, but then I started thinking about shavings and where I am going to put them. I (as of currently) wont have a ton of Bags of shavings since its just my horses here and they dont live in stalls. The only reason my horses will be in stalls is if in the winter my mom throws them in there to get them out of the weather so she doesnt need to mess with blankets. Eventually I would like my barn to be a lovely boarding barn so the issue of where to keep shavings would come up then, along with Baled hay. Sorry this has turned into a book, but I am not sure what I should do? Add a 6th stall or leave it for shavings and hay, or go ahead and make the stall and then put hay and shavings in it unless I need it then figure something out when/ if the time comes.
    Thanks...
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Is the tack room the only "sealed" off area? Or are there other areas out-of-the way? I would really want an area that is out of the way for feed bins and supplements (especially with borders who may have different types of feed needs) and for bedding and hay. But that's just me!
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Yes, the tack room will be the only area that has a door. The feed would be in there as well. Ideally, I would eventually like to build something out of the barn for Shavings, even if its just an attachment to the barn, but I am not exactly sure where is could go because of where the barn is placed..
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor