The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What age do you truly evaluate your foals at?

I've heard the old adage of 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years - is there any truth to this system? What have you found to be accurate? When is it fair to evaluate their movement and conformation? Hoping lots of the successful warmblood breeders will share their experiences...
    Thanks in advance!

I'll be watching this thread with interest - I just took delivery of a weanling I picked at three days! (Southern Hemisphere).

I can post pics fro 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and now at 5 months too!

Each and all of the above but for me the "killer time" is yearling.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Each and all of the above but for me the "killer time" is yearling.
    Yes, that could also be termed the "yackling" phase!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

There's certainly a lot of truth in the "3-day, 3-months, and 3-year" saying....

I've also have been told by somebody with lots of experience that if the foal is really special you will know it right away. I'll see if I can find a picture of the one foal that I thought fit that category......

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...z/2daysold.jpg
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Everyday

Some babies grow very evenly and never have an ugly moment (my first one was like this, she is 6 now, but maybe I am just biased), and others are beautiful one minute, and have a short upside down neck and high rear the next. Some foals are still unfolding at 3 days. Usually between 3-4 months old they look good.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    There's certainly a lot of truth in the "3-day, 3-months, and 3-year" saying....

I've also have been told by somebody with lots of experience that if the foal is really special you will know it right away. I'll see if I can find a picture of the one foal that I thought fit that category......

She is definitely a nice one.

I have one that was born April 1 this year, and that is how I feel about him. He is so perfect I can't stand it. Here are a couple of photos of him. I'm repeating the cross.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...481280x960.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...361280x960.jpg

Yup, 3 days, 3 months, 3 years.

Not only that, but when your weanling, that you picked out at 3 days, turns into an ugly duckling that can't get out of his own way at 1 year, and then gets worse at 2, and seems like he will NEVER grow, and you are tearing your hair out and asking why on earth you ever bought him and how can you now get out of this and dump him on someone else, you start thinking that he can't possibly improve at 3. He's fuzzy, he's butt high, he can't get his front feet off the ground.

J U S T . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .W A I T

And, hide him in the back 40 and don't let your friends see him until...........

All of a sudden he's 3, and he comes back together and absolutely floats across the pasture and you're patting yourself on the back and all your friends are dying of envy.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I certainly give credence to the "3" timing rule. And very often I know from days old if a baby is a very special one.
    At yearling age, youngsters are often awkward - especially so the ones who will finish tall (in my experience), who often see-saw in growth --- bum high, short neck, big head, etc. The ones who grow gracefully and never look awkward happen too - and those I find finish more average in size, usually 16-16.2 h.

Question

"I've also have been told by somebody with lots of experience that if the foal is really special you will know it right away. I'll see if I can find a picture of the one foal that I thought fit that category......"

Hey Siegi!
    Which gorgeous foal is this? The Roussea X Wanroij? Florencio? Beautiful!!!

Fondly,
    Karin
    Sporting Chance Farm/Dr Carlos and Karin Jimenez
    Breeders of International Quality KWPN Horses
    2006 KWPN-NA Breeders of the Year/2006 Res CH USDF DSHB Breeders Year
    www.sportingchancefarm.com

Thanks! Can't wait to get my foal's video footage from yesterday (3 days) then. She's not living anywhere near me, so I only have pictures to go on, and while some make her look superb, others are only okay. Can't wait to see the videos... =)

Quote Originally Posted by madoy View Post
    I've heard the old adage of 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years - is there any truth to this system? What have you found to be accurate? When is it fair to evaluate their movement and conformation? Hoping lots of the successful warmblood breeders will share their experiences...
    Thanks in advance!
    everyday for temperament as the little brains grow,huge flaws and defects at birth,flaws that they grow into,how they gain weight and grow,how the interact with others and humans and on and on

it's not just about "pretty"

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    I certainly give credence to the "3" timing rule. And very often I know from days old if a baby is a very special one.
    At yearling age, youngsters are often awkward - especially so the ones who will finish tall (in my experience), who often see-saw in growth --- bum high, short neck, big head, etc. The ones who grow gracefully and never look awkward happen too - and those I find finish more average in size, usually 16-16.2 h.
    Well stated. I agree with all points.

Post I agree that you can often "tell" when you have a "special"one....very young...

"I've also have been told by somebody with lots of experience that if the foal is really special you will know it right away."

I'd have to agree with Sieg's "words of wisdom"...... And here is how it was proven to me......

When Wildcard SCF Keur Elite (Goodtimes X Silvio 1 Elite (now) Preferent) was born (by ET to a Draft mare at the ET farm where she stayed until weaning), I immediately "just knew" that she was something special.....People would ask me why I thought she was so special, and I honestly couldn't answer that question....I didn't know! She is also my "Heart Horse".....We have had dozens of horses born to our reeding program at SCF, and I "love" them all, yet she is the only one that I have ever said that about.....

See foal photo with ET Dam, (and then other photos) of Wildcard below...

Well, since then, Wildcard has been:

PHSA YEARLING FUTURITY NON TB HUNTER BREEDING CHAMPION, AND OVERALL RESERVE CHAMPION (AMONG OTHER HB WINS)

BECAME KEUR ELITE WITH THE KWPN

WAS "BEST MOVER" OF HER ISF KEURNG

WAS 3RD IN USA TOP TEN FOR BOTH MOVEMENT AND FREE JUMPING

WAS 3YR OLD USDF KWPN MATERIALE CHAMPION (ALL BREED AWARDS)

WAS DRESSAGE AT DEVON OVERALL BIT USA HIGH POINT CHAMPION AT 4 YRS OLD (WON HER COMPETETIVE BROODMARE CLASS WHICH INCLUDED "THE QUEEN OF DAD, THE GORGEOUS RABIOLA") WITH AN 85% FROM JUDGE HILDA GURNEY)

WAS CHAMPION MANY TIMES AT 1ST AND 2ND LEVEL, INCLUDING NUMEROUS HIGH POINT CHAMPIONSHIPS....NOW SCHOOLING THIRD......

EASILY QUALIFIED FOR REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS 2008 (WAS 5TH) AND 2009

FYI.....WILDCARD HAD ONE FOAL AT 4 YRS OLD (BY LUPICOR), WHO WAS #1 FOAL, AND THEN #1 AGAIN AS A 2 YR OLD STALLION, AND WAS PRE-APPROVED BY THE KWPN... (SEE PHOTO OF RED BAY)

ALL THE ABOVE BEFORE AGE 7!

Anyway....just wanted to use my experience to back up Siegi's "Words of Wisdom"

PS COULDN'T GET PHOTOS TO ATTACH...I'LL TRY TO SEND IN ANOTHER POST BELOW....

Post Here are the photos to go with my above post......

Here are the photos to go with my above post......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WILDCARDFOALTHISTLE.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	28717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wildcardtrothigh.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	28718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CARTEBLANCHETROTKEURING.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	28719  

Yes, Karin - Wildcard has always been the one to beat!

The foal picture I attached is of Bardot SE (of course! ), by Florencio and out of Natuur by Wanroij (my Gelders mare). You should see her now - she's somewhere around 16.3 and looking like a million bucks!

Best,
    Siegi
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com

Smile Thanks Siegi!

" You should see her now - she's somewhere around 16.3 and looking like a million bucks!"

Thought I recognized her Siegi.....Bardot is to DIE for!!! Please post a recent photo?

Thanks for your kind words about Wildcard Keur Elite.... She is SUCH a cool horse.... I'll attach a photo below of her in Wellington this winter. She just keeps getting better and better (like Bardot!). Are you going to Breed Bardot?
    One of these days we should talk about a filly swap....Would you consider it? We have a few other daughters of Marie Louise Elite Pref (Silvio 1 (Sandro) X Sit This One Outxx X Saluut), half sisters to Wildcard Keur Elite......Wish I had the money to do an ET with her, but it's been a tough year or two....BTW Wildcards half brother Zulft Ster (Ulft Keur X Silvio 1 Elite Pref) was recently purchased by Grand Prix rider/trainer Heather Mason.....I am so excited that he "landed" in such a great place!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wildcardvictoriacanterfla.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	28724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wildcardlauriecanterfla.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	28727  

Well, Bardot just came back from Florida because we figured out that she was pregnant after all.
    So here's a picture taken while she was 9 months along - we already knew and were taking it easy with her.... she's at home and living the good life now.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...tMarch2010.jpg

P.S.: We'll talk about the possibilities of a filly swap off-line...
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com

Smile

"Well, Bardot just came back from Florida because we figured out that she was pregnant after all.
    So here's a picture taken while she was 9 months along - we already knew and were taking it easy with her.... she's at home and living the good life now."

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...tMarch2010.jpg

Hi Siegi! Bardot looks gorgeous! Who is she in foal to? Congratulations!
    Fondly,
    Karin

I usually get into a prospect's life when they are 3 yrs or so. I bought a couple of weanlings last year @ about 3 months. Both stunning and very well-bred. I kept both of them with the breeding farm until a week ago. YIKES!!!! Both ugly ducklings! I will close my eyes and hope for the best.

and I will NOT be posting photos any time soon ;-D