The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse meat market drying up?

I was reading the other threads and it looks like the usual, paint the anti slaughter folks as PETA or HSUS(or so says the TN congressman) and claim ending slaughter is the reason for the horse crisis in this country.

Well that may be one of several reasons. But there appear to be quite a few other bigger reasons.

Now that the EU has imposed a six month medical history requirement on horses for consumption, that is going to increase the costs-as you have to hold them for that period and have their proven medical history for that period. You have to know the history and feed them, unless they start some sort of holding faciltiy on our side of the border.

In Italy-which apparantely is the biggest horse eating nation in Europe-there is a movement afoot to ban horse meat for consumption. Unlike here, it has won support from all sides of the aisles and was started by the right wing politicians and has won support from the liberals too. Not sure what the status is as of today-but that is telling.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-in-Italy.html

This whole thing of slaughter plants closing leading to the current crisis is a little of a stretch. Horses are being sold to slaughter every single day-probably at the same rate as before. While it might be true that they are travelling larger distances. But honestly so do other species-even though it is perfectly legal to slaughter them here. All the other species, we have a ready market in the US, even so many travel large distances to be slaughtered . That is simply economics. Horses do not have a local market here and so it simply won't make sense to create plants all over the country for them-unless the govt decides to build them.

Yes there are a lot of suffering horses-as there are a lot of suffering dogs and cats. In CA, so many dogs , cats have been abandoned and some even chained and left as their owners leave their houses. The economy is in the toilet and we are facing a once in a life time crisis. We have not seen anything similar since the Great depression and me personally am still not sure how it is going to look like a few years from now. Too many unkown factors and variables and the sand seems to be shifting constantly beneath.

People that hoard and/or starve their animals are not the kind that will sell their animals to slaughter. Just because you open up one , doesn't mean they are going to sell their herd of 40 horses in 4 acres to slaughter. Now as to what the solution is-I really don't know for horses, dogs or cats. There is a massive crisis going on and sadly horses for the large part have no practical use. Why I wrote this, is just reading a lot of the pro slaughter comments seeming to suggest that opening one or more plants will magically solve the horse problem . .That ain't true and yet it seems to ok to assume the the anti to be all emotional tree hugging PETA supporters-when they themselves don't wan't to see many of the other reasons that are in play.The market has simply evaporated for lower end horses and in CA you are even getting some warmbloods for free-not proven ones-but still. The prices have all come down heavily in many segments of the market. That is one of the biggest factors-nobody wants to take on another horse until the financial picture clears up a bit

You are seriously evil, you know that?!

I think that subject was posted a few weeks back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

If things truly get as bad as The Great Depression, cheap horses will be all a lot of people will be able to afford to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    If things truly get as bad as The Great Depression, cheap horses will be all a lot of people will be able to afford to eat.
    In the Great Depression, some beef was really horse, rabbit was cats.
    By 1947, TX enacted a law to make it illegal to sell horse meat as beef.

When food is short, really hungry people don't care what they eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    In the Great Depression, some beef was really horse, rabbit was cats.
    By 1947, TX enacted a law to make it illegal to sell horse meat as beef.

When food is short, really hungry people don't care what they eat.
    Rumor has it that there are already people eating horse meat around here. I haven't been able to verify the veracity of that rumor, but circumstances and demographics being what they are here and the economy the way it is, and the people said to be on the selling end being what they are -- the possibility is not at all far fetched.

Rumor has it that there are already people eating horse meat around here. I haven't been able to verify the veracity of that rumor, but circumstances and demographics being what they are here and the economy the way it is, and the people said to be on the selling end being what they are -- the possibility is not at all far fetched.
    You know that that just can't be true <sarcasm> because 'we' Americans don't eat horse.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

In Italy-which apparantely is the biggest horse eating nation in Europe-there is a movement afoot to ban horse meat for consumption. Unlike here, it has won support from all sides of the aisles and was started by the right wing politicians and has won support from the liberals too. Not sure what the status is as of today-but that is telling.
    I can't get that link to work, but I'm not sure it has any bearing on the situation here as I believe that most horse meat in Italy is actually FARMED in Italy AS meat for slaughter. As opposed to here where slaughter of horses is a secondary result.

The EU has finally figured this out and has imposed the 6 month "quarantine" or paper trail period. It will be interesting to see what happens. People say that sellers will just lie about the paper trail but the EU inspectors aren't stupid....a larger percentage of those carcasses are going to be tested and now they are going to be traceable to the original auction that they came from. My bet is that we will see far fewer horses going straight from auction to slaughter and more horses standing in feed lots for 6 months, regardless of paper trails.
    My hope is that the Canadian Gov't makes them stand in feed lots on the US side of the border before they come over so that our horses finally have some protection from unkown health problems coming through our borders.

NJR

I agree.

Also there are definitely people eating horse meat in America, but they are a minority and usually very poor people. The average American living in the burbs does not eat horse meat. Poll after poll shows that the majority of Americans oppose horse slaughter for human consumption. I don't think that this will change.

Maybe someone can explain why people keep breeding so many horses let alone poor quality horses??? I have my own ideas, it's because the horses have testicles and uteruses and that may be the only reason, because they can. Just like they do with dogs and cats.

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    I was reading the other threads and it looks like the usual, paint the anti slaughter folks as PETA or HSUS(or so says the TN congressman) and claim ending slaughter is the reason for the horse crisis in this country.

Well that may be one of several reasons. But there appear to be quite a few other bigger reasons.

Now that the EU has imposed a six month medical history requirement on horses for consumption, that is going to increase the costs-as you have to hold them for that period and have their proven medical history for that period. You have to know the history and feed them, unless they start some sort of holding faciltiy on our side of the border.

This whole thing of slaughter plants closing leading to the current crisis is a little of a stretch. Horses are being sold to slaughter every single day-probably at the same rate as before. While it might be true that they are travelling larger distances. But honestly so do other species-even though it is perfectly legal to slaughter them here. All the other species, we have a ready market in the US, even so many travel large distances to be slaughtered . That is simply economics. Horses do not have a local market here and so it simply won't make sense to create plants all over the country for them-unless the govt decides to build them.

Yes there are a lot of suffering horses-as there are a lot of suffering dogs and cats. In CA, so many dogs , cats have been abandoned and some even chained and left as their owners leave their houses. The economy is in the toilet and we are facing a once in a life time crisis. We have not seen anything similar since the Great depression and me personally am still not sure how it is going to look like a few years from now. Too many unkown factors and variables and the sand seems to be shifting constantly beneath.

People that hoard and/or starve their animals are not the kind that will sell their animals to slaughter. Just because you open up one , doesn't mean they are going to sell their herd of 40 horses in 4 acres to slaughter. Now as to what the solution is-I really don't know for horses, dogs or cats. There is a massive crisis going on and sadly horses for the large part have no practical use. Why I wrote this, is just reading a lot of the pro slaughter comments seeming to suggest that opening one or more plants will magically solve the horse problem . .That ain't true and yet it seems to ok to assume the the anti to be all emotional tree hugging PETA supporters-when they themselves don't wan't to see many of the other reasons that are in play.The market has simply evaporated for lower end horses and in CA you are even getting some warmbloods for free-not proven ones-but still. The prices have all come down heavily in many segments of the market. That is one of the biggest factors-nobody wants to take on another horse until the financial picture clears up a bit

ya know, I watched 1,000 head of calves,weigh cows, steers and bulls sell on Sat.

guess how many did not look like they were on deaths door ? about 1 in 20...the others were thin and sick and wormy...

and these are CATTLE, you know those things that horse people look down their noses and say "oh cattle they can eat any garbage hay,that's why we call it "cow hay"

even the cattle are going hungry here and people wonder if the horses are doing any better?

Tamara in TN
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Apr. 5, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.