The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default used show clothes - what would you pay?

This is NOT a "for sale" posting. But I do have several shirts from showing days in good condition that no longer fit my more womanly figure these days, plus I don't show anymore really, so I'm tired of hanging on to them.

So, I'm curious as to what I should charge on ebay. They're all really nice, and they all come with chokers, some monogrammed. Brand names like Essex, marigold, I think the cheapest one would retail about $80 these days, from what I can see on the internet.

What would you pay for these?? I have no idea what to charge. I was thinking $25 - is that reasonable? I'm happy to give more info if it would help set the price, just didn't want to cross over into a "for sale" posting.

Thanks!

Hate to tell you this but I only got $5 for some old(er) show shirts that I sold on consignment.

$5? Ding dang. That barely covers the dry cleaning I was going to have done before selling them! That's a great reality check, though... anyone else had a better experience selling?

I figure $5 is $5 more than I had when they were sitting in my basement.

Plus it adds up pretty fast. Took home almost $250.

depends on how worn they are. if they're in pretty good condition and worn say less than 10 or so times, i'd charge half of retail for them. i've gotten $25 on ebay for relatively lesser-known shirts that i'd worn a couple times and grew out of (from when i was an SS kid) that probably went for $40 new. i've sold a TS shirt for $40, it had been worn a handful of times. i'd say charge around half price of retail if it's in good condition and doesnt show much sign of wear.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by evans36 View Post
    $5? Ding dang. That barely covers the dry cleaning I was going to have done before selling them! That's a great reality check, though... anyone else had a better experience selling?
    I'm always hunting for quality used show clothing -- means more money for showing! $25 (assuming the shirt is in show-quality condition) sounds very reasonable and attractive to me. JMO, of course.

I'd def pay 25. that's a good deal. I sold a slightly used (worn like 3x) Ariat shirt for $30 last year.

I own a rather large consignment shop. Usually Essex, Tailored, Marigold, etc...in excellent condition usually sell for $35-$45 per shirt....and have no problem whatsoever "getting" those prices.

I bought a wonderful, high quality shirt from Middleburg Tack Exchange and only paid $10!

I think $25 is a good starting price for higher-end shirts on ebay. Personally, if the shirt is already at a price that I might be willing to pay I probably won't even bid on it since I expect to get outbid at least once. If the starting bid and shipping charges are below my "final price," which is roughly $40 for a lightly used shirt, then I'll bid on the shirt. Good luck!
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I paid $45 for a LIGHTLY used Essex Coolmax shirt w/ 2 collars from our tack store consignment rack. Judging that the same shirt was being sold for $100 new at the same store, I thought that I got a pretty good deal.

The great thing about e-bay is that the buyers end up setting the price. You just have to decide if the minimum you set is worth the hassel, then let the market bid up the price.

FWIW, I recently put a gorgeous custom Allon hunt coat on e-bay (retails for $550 new) and didn't get a single bidder at $50.
    I took it to a nearby consignment store and they have it listed at $300, so maybe it will work out better in the end.

Check out theoutsidecourse.com and the bits and barter board for examples of what things are selling at.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I got a new (with tags) Tailored Sportsman shirt that was on consignment last year for $10 -- Other that a used Essax CoolMax shirt I paid $40 for, I've never paid more than $25 for a gently worn show shirt --

It does look like the local tack shops are carrying a lot of the new style collars this year that don't need chokers -- If those become popular, I'd bet it becomes a little more difficult to sell old show shirts --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM