The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My idiot adventure

Ahhhh...where to start? And, while reading this, keep in mind that hopefully I have learned from all this load of....well you decide what it is a load of

Last year I accepted a job as a groom at X amount of money a month. As the farm was an hour away and there was rooming provided, I tried it out for 3 weeks and went ahead and moved. I had another job coming up and decided that I could just squeak by on the money until the other job started in 3 to 6 months. Well, I get paid on the 1st of every month and that first payday I turned in my time and was told by my boss that "she really needed to keep costs down so she really wanted me at almost a third less amount of money a month. This should have been red flag #1 for me but since I had already moved, I accepted it.

The job was hard work but I really enjoyed it. Different discipline than I did but the horses, people, etc were fun and nice. Trainer is awesome. Second payday rolls around, since I am on an even tighter budget than I planned, I really depend on being payed on the 1st. Nope, few days late AND another "chat" about how she has to pay taxes on me every pay period and she needs to cut back my hours more.

Then a working student comes on at the barn--this means person that works for free. My hours (of course!!!) need more cutting back. Now I am down to almost nothing a month. My tiny rent payment is due and also another annual bill (that would have been fine if my original pay had been paid), I ask farm owner if I can work off rent. She says yes but things change mid month, so she goes to my boss to just have her give her the rent out of my check.....great except I had worked off half of it and am now wayyyyy in the hole for the next months pay. Of course, on the up side, my rent was half because it was taken out of my check behind my back. I only knew about it because I came home early to walk in on the transaction.

Well, I resign as an employee, on good terms as barn is leaving for a few months, I actually like these people, just not their financial dealings. The farm owner asks me to stay, cool, I love it here. Except now my boss has decided to bring in another groom from out of state so I need to be gone in less than two weeks. I finally get my finances almost squared away, recover from being almost bankrupted by Miss "I need to cut your hours, what, isn't $600 a month fine to live on?!" and now I am looking at finding some place, first and last, deposit. WOW. I am not happy! Thank goodness for my friends I can rely on if need be.

New groom also doesn't know that one month after she gets here that the working student will be back to work for free. Buh-bye paycheck for you, so sorry you moved from another state.

SO many things to learn from my idiot adventure. Sigh.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

If I were you, I'd be quite tempted to drop a little bug in new, moved-from-another-state groom's ear about your experience with that farm. I don't know too many young people who take jobs as grooms and can afford to be treated as you were.

Good luck finding a new position where the management is a little more ethical.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    If I were you, I'd be quite tempted to drop a little bug in new, moved-from-another-state groom's ear about your experience with that farm. I don't know too many young people who take jobs as grooms and can afford to be treated as you were.

Good luck finding a new position where the management is a little more ethical.
    I agree. Look at how close you came to bankruptcy and leaning on your friends. Now the new chick is moving from out of state. She's in your fix but perhaps worse.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Unfortunately, I will probably never see her. I will most likely be gone before she ever gets to this state.

Weird thing is, the boss doesn't even realize she is being untoward. She only thinks of herself and her own agenda, that's it. She is really not a mean person....just the most selfish and oblivious person I have ever come across.

If you did not get paid for all the hours you worked, it would be a good idea to contact both the National Department of Labor and State agency that oversees that type of issue. There may be some recourse, or at least you will have the satisfaction of reporting unethical employer conduct. If you were not paid timely, etc., chances are good that although she complained about 'paying taxes' on you, she may not have paid any. This type of conduct should be exposed, not enabled, IMO.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Wow, did we work for the same person?!

If you have any proof of this I would highly recommend going straight to your state labor board as Sdlbredfan above suggested.

Let me clear this up--all actual hours I worked were paid. She just kept either cutting my hours(get done early) or not having me work at all to save payroll. And mentioned that I was to stay at X amount of hours per week/month.

I do not think anything illegal happened, just (as my friend said earlier) "wow, that is severely crappy treatment". And, since I put up with it, I have only myself to blame.

Hide a note in the apartment or some place else the new person is likely to find it but not the employer...