The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Nashville Area Adult Beginner Lessons

Hey,
    This info is for my brother's girlfriend who'd love to learn to ride. She's done the rent a horse trail thing, but really desires to know how to ride and care for a horse. *She is a 30 year old professional so a good adult barn or one with a good mix would be great.

So hopefully I can get some good recommendations on barns in the Nashville area- preferably West of town- for an adult beginner (not completely green to riding, but no formal lessons). Not looking to show, but develop a good balanced seat ideally English or possibly Western. She wants to be able to trail ride, enjoy a good gallop, and possibly a hunter pace. Maybe more after she learns about it. All info appreciated.

Thanks!

Happy Riding,
    Jessie & The Stinky Pony aka Bosco

Creekside in Franklin has a lesson program for beginners of all ages. It is a smaller, more personalized barn.

Oh yeah! Creekside is great! Alot of the good instructors around here don't have lesson horses to learn on, but Kate does and we always forget about her!

Thanks for the info! My brother's gf is excited to make a life time dream come true and eventually become a horse owner.

Happy Riding,
    Jessie & The Stinky Pony aka Bosco

ecg, I kinda assumed that you guys don't have lesson horses-- but am I wrong?

I don't REALLY. I only take adult students that don't own horses who are serious about a lease or a purchase in the very near future. I have a couple of boarder horses I CAN use, but I hate to ask.

Music City Riding Academy has a great instructor - especially for beginners - of all ages. She has several lesson horses. You can talk to her about learning not just the basics of riding, but also increasing your all around horse knowledge. She'll teach your friend how to be a good all-around, knowledgeable horsewoman - not just how to "sit" on the horse. And that is not jab at ANY other trainers out there - just a bonus that I have experienced. Your friend would learn as much as she wants to invest herself towards horses. The farm is very family friendly oriented in that there's no "pressure" to ride any certain style, to show, etc. Most boarders are adults, but she has several kids in lessons and does kid camps in the summer - so there is a mix. The farm is in Antioch - near Brentwood. You can PM me for more information if your friend wants to contact the farm or she can look it up online. Good luck!