Mama & Baby are home! Pics from her first day out on last page!
Fat mare now has rich, white, sticky milk. Creamy to taste, I could actually put some in my coffee this morning! pH is a quick 6.8.
Her vulva is elongating and her muscles are softening up, but I wouldn't say a truck could come out of her yet. Her body says not quite "ripe" yet. She quite stocked up behind and has ginormous oedema underneath her belly. Her udder is FULL, tight and warm. Quite frankly, I feel for her.
Her attitude is of the close to foal mare. She's uncomfortable, not cranky, seeks some TLC and would rather not go outside. She does all the little sorts of mimics of the about to foal mare.
My question now, can I leave or not for the day? I know. Ask the mare!
I am just wondering... if this mare plans on pulling a Val on me, why miss Easter family reunions?
I think, from reading the various experiences, that at 6.8 she could hold on to it for quite a few days.
To me, the milk says go, the attitude says go... the body says just not quite there yet. Hence, why I am on the fence about today.
I am not sure yet for how long I'd be gone. Regardless, I'll watch her closely this morning and I'll decide at the very last minute...
What would you do? I could leave her in with her cam (although that's another worrisome topic, because I can't seem to be able to make it work from another computer? I could bring my laptop...) and on top of it, have my neighbour watch her. She's an elderly lady who just loves watching my horses. While it is not the most experienced eyes, she is the worrisome type and will call if something looks slightly different from normal...
Last edited by EquusMagnificus; Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Is the milk tasting SWEET? I wish I knew more about those strips. I use Chemetrics and its spot on for me. I know Gretchen had a problem last year with the test, but I have a new one this year and its not let me down with 2 mares so far.
My take on your mare is this..........she might wait a bit......but she might not. Thats lots of help, right? I guess I would have your neighbor watch her. Keep in mind, I have some that show no signs of foaling (pacing, loose pottie, dripping milk, sweating) and can go from grazing to down foaling. Her eyes would be better than none. How far from home will you be?
6.2 is the magic # for us. We just had a mare foal on Thursday AM and she was 7.5 on Monday night, somewhere close but not truly at 6.2 on Tuesday night - about 6.3-4 maybe (my strips go from 6.8 which is orange to 6.2 which is yellow, and a tinge of orange we've found means no foal LOL) and then a true quick 6.2 on Wednesday night, and had the foal at 4am on Thursday AM.
Of course they can change quickly, but at 6.8 it's probably not going to be that night
Her pH yesterday night was 7.2. She dropped to 6.8 in roughly 12 hours. It is a peachy colour, my 6.2 on my strips is not bright yellow... It's... hmmm... sunflower yellow maybe? Anyways, there's a tad of orange in it. It changed really quickly to a lighter colour to finish to 6.8 this morning.
Friday night, she was at 7.8.
Is the milk testing sweet... Hmmm... Sweet like cow milk is sweet?
It is not obviously sweet to taste yet. But it sure is sticky!
My mare changed fast! She had pee colored milk and salty one day. Then creamy sweet milk the next. That was the first day I tested it and and I had Ca+ over 500 and 6.2 ph. I tested her at 7pm...set up my cot in the barn and we had our foal at 5:30am. Only one night sleeping in the barn...
No foal yet. pH is at 6.8 this morning, this time a FAST 6.8. Tailhead is still not as soft as I'd expect it to be. There is some softening, but really nothing major yet. Vulva is clearly elongated though.
Very stocked up this morning, front legs are now stocked up too.
Mare is active, eating her hay... Hasn't finished her breakfast (same symptom as in the past 4 days) and... Otherwise being herself. I saw her bite/scratch her sides twice already this morning (and frankly, I didn't think she could reach anywhere, she's so big).
I can see the little bugger kick and canter around in his mama's womb.
I told my mare today was a good day. Rain is starting later today (or tomorrow?) and it'll be cooler for the rest of the week. Today is a good day to foal. Plus, if she gets down to it early enough, he might even get to romp a bit outside!
Otherwise, in she stays. I don't mind my mare foaling outside, I think I even prefer it, but not in the rain/mud in April in Quebec.
So, anyone want to take bets? How long can she torture me?
She will definitely wait for the rain. That atmospheric pressure thing
Last year, my mare ate her dinner, and I turned out all the rest of the horses for the night. Then about 8:30 PM, let her loose in the barnward for a bit of grass. I went in to start dinner. About 15 minutes later, a storm blew in, and we had a HEAVY downpour. My mare always wanders in and out of the (27) stalls while loose in the barnyard, so I was not worried about her. She definitely had many options of where she could get out of the rain.
The storm lasted about 20 minutes, and as soon as it lightened, I went out to see how she was doing. I found her with a sopping wet foal, on it's feet, but wobbly, standing in the lowest area that was mostly a large puddle.
She did actually foal in a stall - the dirtiest (very old dusty bedding), and smallest (8' x 9') one on the property.
It was her 10th foal, and I have been with her for all 9 of the others. All were between 11 and 1 AM, except this one.
Last edited by Fairview Horse Center; Apr. 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
We have a couple mares who take quite a few days to creep down from 6.8 to 6.2. (like a week to 10 days) Then we have others that drop like a rock, and once they leave the 8's, it's only 2-4 days.
So I am just going to wager and guess for you 3-4 days. All the other signs are good! We have one that stocks up really bad for the last few days too. She is older so maybe that has an effect? Sounds like you are getting pretty darn close though!
Signature, 3-4 days from yesterday morning or from today?
Fairview, I know! She *is* going to wait for the muddiest day yet of the year.
Although I doubt this mare will foal outside. She's a race broodmare princess and while she loves to indulge in her spa treatments (aka covering herself with mud), she WANTS to be inside. It has been pure torture for her to send her out in the past few days. She just stood all day long at the gate, asking to be brought it. Madame wants to remain in her suite thankyouverymuch.
Well... I don't want to jinx ourselves, but I am pretty sure we are have started the first stage of labor here... Although she could drag it for days on!
I have an active mare, biting at her sides, flehmening (sp?), bitting stuff, rubbing her teeth against everything, peeing and pooping very often (ie. several times in the past hour!), tail slightly elevated... and a bit cranky (she's an extraordinarily sweet mare, so a bit cranky is already a significant difference ).
I am watching her on my cam now while I go through my foaling books (again...) not to disturb her...
Forgot to add... rubbing her butt right now and lots of tail swishing. Looks like I am not going to the restaurant for my brother's birthday tonight... Unless she feels generous and has that foal very soon!
Great!!! It very well could be, or hopefully she is not faking out because the foal is having a flurry of positioning activity - occasionally it seems that happens and mare is uncomfy for a few hours, then back to munching hay! Makes your hair grey. LOL
Oh and I meant from the 6.8 test... Of course now she is going to prove me wrong. Which is fine, sooner is better.
Haha, well Signature, she has quieted down now... She had another bout of activity about 30 minutes ago. Now she's standing in her corner. She barely ate all day. Just picked at her hay a bit...
I finally noticed more softening around the tailhead... Goodness.
I am not leaving her and, good news, my brother's birthday dinner got cancelled. No feeling bad about staying home now! I'll be watching her all the rest of the day...*and evening... and oh please, not all night?
I told her that she could foal either now (then), between 6pm and 7pm (baby's next nap) or after 9ish pm (baby's out for the night!). Or... She would have to suffer from my daughter's comments (happy or not...) while I help!
She's a very stoic type of mare. I don't expect a lot of drama from her... I am actually expecting her to go from standing quietly or nibbling on hay to having her foal. She had a great career as a racehorse, ran and won alot. She's a tough little mare!
I gave her a good grooming earlier, she liked it... as long as I didn't touch the underside of her belly too much!
However, I continued testing the milk (it is addictive indeed) and this morning we had a quick 6.2 which darkened afterwards... We are below 6.8, but not yet exactly 6.2. She started dropping yesterday night.
So I'll test again around noon to see where we're at.
How long can she linger at not-quite-6.2? ;-) Enough to make my hair turn grey?
Good timing though, I had to be up to follow the oxytocin protocol with another mare during the night so I was up for that too. Now, the vet is coming early tomorrow morning... I know. Just that means that she'll wait another 3 days!
I say NOW Mare! Today, tonight, early early tomorrow morning! But puhleeze, within the next 24 hours! It would be oh-so-convenient. Oh yes, plus we're freezing today, you Mares like to foal in unfriendly conditions... Today is one day like that.
LOL They can linger for a day or two there at least, according to a couple of our girls. It definitely can make your hair grey. We've found it should be within 36 hr of hitting real 6.2 (sometimes 8 hours, sometimes 36 )... so let's hope she hits it and goes quick!