The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New question added- Need to buy a truck. opinions?

Our little Ranger finally crapped out and will cost way more to fix than it's worth. We've needed a "real" truck since we've moved to the country anyway. We need to haul the typical feed, hay, sawdust, get out of the driveway in the snow , etc., and need to be able to haul with it. Hauling will be infrequent currently- for a few shows here and there and within 50 miles, maybe more in the future, but not something that I would say is for sure enough to change our truck purchase now if that makes sense. We don't have a trailer, but in the future would LOVE to have a Brenderup, but will most likely end up with a lightweight 2 horse bumper pull or stock trailer until we can afford one. I'd be hauling a pony or two or maybe a pony and a small paint who's maybe 1000lb. This needs to be an everyday vehicle though and it needs to have a backseat and preferably 4x4 if I want to get out of my driveway in the winter. ...and on a budget. haha, right?

Question is... I know there are those who will not tow with anything less than 3/4 ton. Is this necessary if I'm going to have a lighter weight trailer and max a pony and a small horse? Only some rolling hills around here, but mostly flat.
    I'm looking at a 2000 Silverado 1500 extended cab 4x4, 285hp 5.3L V8. It HAS a tow package right now, but I don't know if it's factory. We're going to look next week (if it's still there, it's a great deal). Any opinions? I would love to get "more truck than I need" like everyone says, but with having to drive it regularly, have a backseat, 4x4, etc. a 3/4 ton just probably isn't going to happen.

eta: question added at end to bump.
    Last edited by dmalbone; Apr. 5, 2010 at 07:34 PM.

Most simply, yes you can do it with a 1/2 ton and do it safely too.

That truck would do very well for you. I personally prefer another brand of truck but in all honesty, drive a few different models/brands and choose which you like best/afford.

I have a GMC Sierra that I LOVE LOVE which I believe is virtually the same truck as the Silverado. I got an 09 in Dec brand new. It's the 1500 with the tow package, the bigger engine (5.4 or 5.7L...I forget right now...) 4x4 and it has 4 doors - nice roomy back seat for my kids, seats fold up so you can put stuff in the back too. I LOVE it. It also has the rear back up camera which is SO helpful backing up to the trailer. It tows great, and it's my everyday car also. I get so many compliments on it. I also liked the Ram but in the end, it just felt too "huge" around me. The Sierra just fit me better. The Ram sat higher it seemed, I had a tough time helping my kids strap in their booster seats, etc. I would also recommend getting the step up boards/running boards if you have kids. Good luck!

Opinions? On trucks? How much time do you have? People's opinions on trucks are deep, passionate, and sometimes irrational.

I think a half-ton is fine for what you're describing. I sent my husband out shopping for a 3/4 ton (I do quite a lot more hauling) and he came home with a one-ton. "But it was on sale!"

There are so many bells and whistles--you have to prioritize what you NEED and what you WANT. Don't compromise on towing package, cooling system, hind-end gear ratio. Think of how you'll realistically use the vehicle--we virtually ONLY use ours to haul stuff, so luxury seats, etc. were just not worth it.
    Click here before you buy.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I think the truck you are looking at and the uses that you listed are a good fit.

Other than my recent minor annoyance with the tailgate, I love my 2002 GMC 2500HD pickup. I bought the 3/4 ton because at the time I had a very heavy all steel 2H BP trailer. Now that I have a lighter weight one, if I do get a new truck in the future, I may consider going down to a 1500.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Thanks. We actually found a couple more that we're interested in also so I'll see what happens. Found a Ram 2500 that's a great deal also. Stupid question... but say we had cash and walked into a dealer... I'm assuming they're generally quite flexible on price for cash sales? Or no?

Sigh... wants and needs... Since it will be the farm truck and my every day truck we really do NEED a backseat. I will have a baby gosh darn it and I need a backseat. 4 wheel drive wouldn't be a 100% necessity I guess, but even though it's pretty flat land there have been MANY times we haven't been able to get out of the driveway without being in 4wd in DH's little truck. DH drives way more mileage than I do so he's stuck driving the fuel-efficient Focus. Let the women drive the trucks.

eta: huh... been googling around about telling a dealer about cash and it seems that it's a BAD thing to them because they can't make money off you on the back end so to keep it quiet. good to know.

We had a Supercru F150. I dont own a farm but I owned a truck. It hauled, went in the snow, towed many a trailer, and took the family everywhere. DH wanted something else & I cant commute in it so off it went.

I still miss that truck. Loved it and would get another if $ allowd.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

We had a Supercru F150. I dont own a farm but I owned a truck. It hauled, went in the snow, towed many a trailer, and took the family everywhere. DH wanted something else & I cant commute in it so off it went.

I still miss that truck. Loved it and would get another if $ allowd.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

That truck (or something similar) sounds just about perfect for what you want. I haul with an 87 (yup, no typo) diesel Suburban 1500, which is built on the same frame that truck is, and have no problems. And I have a pretty hefty two-horse with dressing room, and haul two full-sized horses with a DR full of stuff. And there are lots of hills. The truck is a beast, and does just fine. Sure, we're not doing 80 on the highway, but we can get (and stay at) the speed limit with loaded trailer, and that's as fast as we need to be going!

Also, don't compromise on the 4x4. Really. I know it may save you a grand or two, but it's so worth it. You may not need it to get out of your driveway, but chances are you'll definitely need it when you're bogged down in those epicly-muddy fields at horse shows!

Also, don't compromise on the 4x4. Really. I know it may save you a grand or two, but it's so worth it. You may not need it to get out of your driveway, but chances are you'll definitely need it when you're bogged down in those epicly-muddy fields at horse shows!
    You don't need mud to get stuck in a field--a bit of dew on the grass and an incline can render many 2WDs useless.

If you search the net you'll find some good values out there. Try autotrader.com. I had to drive 7 hours but I got a great deal on a relatively new 2007 Dodge Laramie (the top of the line) crew cab dually diesel with the big 4:10 rear end. It has only 14,000 miles on it. Got it for less than $30K & it's about a $55K truck new now. I have a friend who just bought a new Dodge 3/4 ton & it pulls fabulously, diesel also. I've just always wanted to be overdone in the truck area as to me it's not just the pulling but the stopping that's the problem some times. Her hubby had a new Dodge 1/2 ton but it just sunk down when gooseneck was put on it & it was a small trailer. Traded it!!! I say get at least a 3/4 ton truck. You won't be sorry.
    I traded an awful Chevy Silverado Dually. Engine wasn't worth didly. Broke down all the time. The best engine out there right now with the best record is the cummings (dodge) diesel. The Chevy has had tons of fuel injector problems, the Ford has had lots of different problems with their diesel engines in the past few years & is a nightmare to work on per my mechanic & also my nephew who is a mechanic. Good luck & hope you find one that is just what you want.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Thanks everyone! We've been scouring autotrader.com and cars.com and have some good leads. I think we'll expand the search a little more. There really are some great deals out there right now still. The best ones I'm finding seem to be from private sellers. We've decided that a backseat and 4wd are musts. Like you said... muddy or wet fields along with snow, etc. Hopefully we'll have something soon!

Ford F-250. We have used Ford trucks for thirty years for everything and have been 100% satisfied.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

I would definitely suggest the full crew cab. I didn't think I would need it, figured the extended cab would be good enough (if i even used it. HA). Anyways, ended up getting the crew cab - wow, its so, so convenient, especially being an "everyday" vehicle, as well as my tow vehicle. Also, it helps a lot since the trailer we have right now does not have a tack room - but we are looking to upgrade to a 3H w/ a dressing room so that point might be moot

I personally have a 2004 3/4 ton Chevy silverado, but I did drool over the tundra's a bit - they were, when I was buying a couple years ago, a bit more expensive than the similar American vehicle.. but I think they drive a little nicer too. Still not worth paying that much more for me

I think there are a lot of stories about this brand being crap and this one not, I would get a consumer auto report and look at the specific year as to how dependable that particular make/model is - not that you can't still get a lemon!

OK... so we have a truck that came up today that we know is being auctioned off at one of our family member's work. It's not exactly what we were going for, but I have NO idea how much value big trucks with higher miles have on them so I need you big-truck-driving-farm people to weigh in. Do the bigger, heavier duty trucks last longer?

This one would definitely do more for us around the farm and have a bunch more power. It's a 2000 Ford F-250, 7L powerstroke diesel, 4x4, with an extended cab (Super cab maybe? has the separate doors, but not the biggest ones). Kicker is that it has 270k miles, but has a rebuilt transmission. It was a company truck and had maintenance done promptly, etc. We're told that the most any of these trucks have sold for is $3,000 so we could potentially get it for that or even less. Nab it up?

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    It's a 2000 Ford F-250, 7L powerstroke diesel, 4x4, with an extended cab (Super cab maybe? has the separate doors, but not the biggest ones). Kicker is that it has 270k miles, but has a rebuilt transmission. It was a company truck and had maintenance done promptly, etc. We're told that the most any of these trucks have sold for is $3,000 so we could potentially get it for that or even less. Nab it up?
    Psh, at 270k, that diesel is just getting broken in! If you can get that nice big truck for less than $3k, grab it!

Sounds like a decent price for a diesel. We recently purchased a 2000 or 2001 (I think) diesel F250 four door with about 150,000 on it. Paid about $13,500. That probably doesn't help you with pricing, huh?

Our 1.2 ton Dodge wasn't cutting it pulling our 3 horse trailer. It was working pretty hard, even with only one horse in it. However, it pulled our smaller two-horse with two horses in it just fine. SO if you ended up going with a half ton you should be fine. Friends of ours have a bigger 1/2 than our old one and theirs pulls better.

Just for thoughts - I got a 2002 F250 extended cab from my horse vet. It had high miles for the age of at the time (a couple of years ago), but it had horse bites on the hood and a bent bumper. I got a great deal on because I told the vet I didn't want it cleaned up, painted, detailed, or a new bumper. I think I got it for somewhere between $2500-$5000. I'm sorry I just don't remember what I paid exactly.

It's not a full crew cab; it's the extended cab with 4 doors. You could put a carseat in there, but you'd have to check to make sure. It's been a long time since my kids were that size.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Its not the size so much as the tow rating of the rear axel.
    Something my husband ground into my head. Also stopping while both trailer and truck have brakes you don't want to light weight of a truck the treailer can push around.

Brand is a personal prefrence so you will get lots of that here.

Just make sure the rear has the proper rating and you will need a transmission coolant and bigger engine coolant systems, good beefy brakes and don't let any dealer talk you into something you can't verify the manufacter warrents vehicle is capable of.
    I used a Silverado 1500 to tow a Hawk 2 horse (no dressing room), was stick shift and it was just fine all round.
    now use a Avalanche 2500 and have a huge Hawk with bells n whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    OK... so we have a truck that came up today that we know is being auctioned off at one of our family member's work. It's not exactly what we were going for, but I have NO idea how much value big trucks with higher miles have on them so I need you big-truck-driving-farm people to weigh in. Do the bigger, heavier duty trucks last longer?

This one would definitely do more for us around the farm and have a bunch more power. It's a 2000 Ford F-250, 7L powerstroke diesel, 4x4, with an extended cab (Super cab maybe? has the separate doors, but not the biggest ones). Kicker is that it has 270k miles, but has a rebuilt transmission. It was a company truck and had maintenance done promptly, etc. We're told that the most any of these trucks have sold for is $3,000 so we could potentially get it for that or even less. Nab it up?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Psh, at 270k, that diesel is just getting broken in! If you can get that nice big truck for less than $3k, grab it!
    Let's not breath too deep in the diesel fumes. At 270K it is WELL past broken in. The light duty diesel engines found in pickups are generally rated for 250K, except the newer model Cummins (350K). Granted there are plenty that go farther, especially for people who use them as a primary driver/grocery getter. But if they've been worked, you can and should expect repairs to be in the near future....not to mention the rest of the pickup wears out at the same rate as a truck with the gas engine.

Not saying 3K isn't a good deal.....just don't fall for the 'diesels run forever' hype.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%