The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse Slaughterhouse Bill in TN

TN HB 1428/ SB 1898 would enable "the humane handling and slaughter of surplus domestic horses" in Tennessee. Could definitely use your help opposing this one.

Here's a good redux of the situation and the key players by Nashville Scene.

The bill goes to the Tennessee House Budget Subcommittee on April 7. If you join the opposition's Facebook page you can find contact info for all the subcommittee members as well as other TN officials.

Please e-mail, call or write! Thanks.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I have written to both my state senator, Ken Yager, and my representative, Dennis Ferguson, indicating my very strong support for this legislation.

I've personally met Rep. Nicely on several occasions. Our local hunt uses his land east of Knoxville for the hunt. He seems to be a person of honor and integrity.

Since we've closed up the hole in the bottom of the bucket we've seen nothing but trouble in the increasing numbers of horses suffering at the margins of the industry. Those who oppose horse slaughter are entitled to their opinion. They are also entitled to buy up the surplus and take it to their house(s) and care for them. It is presumptuous, however, for them to demand that the rest of us accept their view and quietly accept a suggestions that the power of the State enforce their view.

G.

Back door politics has become a way of life. Do you agree with burying it in the bill? Why don't the politicians run with it and get the support of others who, like you, feel the same way instead of slipping it in knowing full well most of the constituents would be unaware, bill is signed and enforced as the law with nearly zero input from the citizens? It happens all the time BUT it shouldn't.

I don't agree or disagree with you but it's scenarios like this that have a good part of the population in an uproar over dirty politics.

What makes TN think they have a problem that is worse than any other state? A couple large seizures? People are just getting pissed off at being told what to do and have decided to take matters into their own hands, damned with the rules or ethics.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

I wish they would have that same bill in Fla. You would cry driving around and seeing very thin horses standing out in fields...heck I have one right next door. The county I live in is overwhelmed with all the animal neglect. People are taking their gates off their fields when they go back North so that people don't dump their animals in their fields. People going on trail rides in the parks only to come back to their trailer and find it full of horses that are not theirs, horses being dumped at Paynes Prairie and Ocala Forest, large rescues of TBs from farms that just up and close leaving the horses there to fend for themselves. I have a question for the people that don't support slaughter...would it not be in the best interests of the horses to not ban slaughter but rather fight for STRICT legislation on the care, shipping and slaughter???? Judging by what I have to look at every day, I would have to answer with a resounding YES!

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry View Post
    What makes TN think they have a problem that is worse than any other state?
    Methinks this may have some reflection on the large TWH industry in our state...

Would it not make more sense to have well regulated slaughter, for those horses our industry uses thru slaughter, as the natural, renewable resource those of our horses are and have been for us for centuries?

Why not work for that slaughter to be the best it can be, as it is in Europe and make an asset of those unwanted horses, that now are a liability in so many ways?

NO ONE is making anyone take their horse to a slaughter house.
    Why would those that don't want to, want to keep those that do from it?

How about working for true horse welfare, not get behind animal rights bandwagons, that is what the anti horse slaughter propaganda is?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry View Post

What makes TN think they have a problem that is worse than any other state?
    not so long ago, TN had the third highest horse population in the nation...120,000 plus horses in 95 counties, which comes to 1263 horses for every county...

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Methinks this may have some reflection on the large TWH industry in our state...
    the last horse census done was 51,000 twh and 50,000 QH and 20,000 others <all other breeds>...it's about land being cheap here and hay in good times being $2/bale and everyone and their brother keeping horses on their 4 acres...

Tamara in TN
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

why can't their be lost cost euthanasia clinics for all these excess horses?

A slaugherhouse is not the only option. I wish people would consider euthanasia instead.

And, while we are at it, why not legislate for breeding, although the public would not like that. Seriously, the excess horses are most likely owned by people who think nothing of allowing mares and stud to run together.

Education needs to be implemented as well.

Slaughter houses are the easy fix, education and eliminating excess, unwanted at risk horses is a better solution, but who is interested in doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post

A slaugherhouse is not the only option. I wish people would consider euthanasia instead.

And, while we are at it, why not legislate for breeding, although the public would not like that. Seriously, the excess horses are most likely owned by people who think nothing of allowing mares and stud to run together.

Slaughter houses are the easy fix, education and eliminating excess, unwanted at risk horses is a better solution, but who is interested in doing that?
    Most people today already consider euthanasia, for the horses they own.
    Then, there are those that don't or would rather have some money off the horse they don't need any more, rather than the cost of euthanizing it, or think not trying to make something useful of the carcasses, let them now be a lilability, is a wasteful way to handle dead horses.

The horse industry has always worked thru getting many horses out there to pick the serviceable ones from them.
    There are plenty of horses that are not good for much.
    You can't just breed a few horses and have them all be perfect for what you want.
    All those horses out there have some use here and there if they are not good enough for what they were bred for and those that are not, generally, were used one more time thru slaughter, some of them, as many as slaughter can use.
    Right now, that is about 1% of the horses out there that are going to slaughter.

You can't just breed less and still have the thriving horse industry we have if you restrict breeding, plus you don't really know who to keep from breeding, that would open another can of worms.
    Horses eventually will truly become a rich person's passtime to have horses and staff to handle them and no one else would be able to afford them if there were just a few being bred out there.
    Even then, some horses are just not good for anything for several reasons, physical and mental ones.

I guess that we can just euthanize them, but why waste all that product a dead horse is, just because we can?
    Very wasteful.

We have been thru these debates time and again and they really are too involved to be able to just say in a few words all that we need to consider when talking about how to handle the many unwanted horses out there.
    Sending them to Mexico and Canada is what is happening now and surely we can find a better way right here to make that one more use of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I guess that we can just euthanize them, but why waste all that product a dead horse is, just because we can?
    Very wasteful.
    Less about the waste of the carcass, more the waste of resources: Landfills, cremation, burial and all the good stuff.

We are talking about 1200 pounds (plus/minus) of poisoned meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post

The simple answer to your question is euthansia costs ($150-$500 for most folks, depending on circumstances) and slaughter pays ($.25-$1.00/lb., depending on circumstances).

And that's just for the euthanasia direct costs. Then you've got a 1200 pound carcass to dispose of.

Education is a good way to help avoid this problem in the future but what do you do now?

G.

If the author of that news piece had even attempted to write it as a true piece of unemotional media, I'm sure she would have had more luck in perhaps swaying people's emotions.
    By the end, even people who might have been against the Bill were likely shaking their heads and saying.."Oh, for Pete's sake..." at the sensationalism of it.

She had some vaild points, unfortunaltey they were all wrapped up in "I can't STAND this guy and this is my chance to kick his ass in print.."

Funny how at one point she is concerned about horses from other States for miles around ending up coming to Tennessee for slaughter....I heard her express no concern for all those horses who are now travelling much farther to other COUNTRIES for slaughter.

Another case of NIMBY.

NJR

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I can see this having a good chance of going the distance simply because there are a lot of people who would want it in the state's ag business. Everyone from breeders to competitors to trail riding stables. Not sure how any of my relatives feel about it but I would suspect they would welcome the option. Really, when you get into the politics and mindset of those who support slaughter and those who are against it, it's a fascinating dichotomy of personal beliefs in more moderate stances and an outright ideological conflict between the more opposing ones.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I can see this having a good chance of going the distance simply because there are a lot of people who would want it in the state's ag business. Everyone from breeders to competitors to trail riding stables. Not sure how any of my relatives feel about it but I would suspect they would welcome the option. Really, when you get into the politics and mindset of those who support slaughter and those who are against it, it's a fascinating dichotomy of personal beliefs in more moderate stances and an outright ideological conflict between the more opposing ones.
    The way I see it, once we agree that humans have the right to use animals, of course without direct abuse, that includes raising them and using all parts we can make use of them, including eating some of them, just as it is confining them, breeding, training and riding them in any discipline we care to do so.

Ideal for any animals, including horses, for us to own them?
    No, neither is what we do as humans ideal for humans some of the time.
    It is called adapting to the situations we find ourselves in, be it an amoeba or a horse or human.
    We do what we do for whatever reasons we do it and those reasons are many.
    Hopefully we can use sensible reasons for what we do, sensible meaning we do more good than bad with our actions.

We want to slaughter some horses as the natural, renewable resource they are, along with everything else we do with them?
    Some object on principle. Ok, why not slaughter horses, on principle?
    Because someone showed a video with some supposedly abuse?
    Those that object by pointing to abuses need to realize that what they may do with their horses is also subject to abuse and probably some horses are being abused right now in that also, so stopping ABUSE, not USE is what they should strive for, even in slaughter, not banning slaughter.

Once you start banning USES, you are falling for animal rights propaganda, because ANYTHING we do with animals, including horses, to USE them, is subject to ABUSE.

There is no way to, say, fight dogs without it being abuse, we all agree with that.
    There is perfectly good ways to slaughter any animal, including horses, that is not abusive.

Calling all horse slaughter abuse because of some abuses there is ignoring the facts at hand, facts that shows us the many horses slaughtered properly, without abuse happening.

Banning slaughter would be one more nail in the coffin of our rights to use animals, including horses, as animal rights fanatics want.

Quote Originally Posted by Nojacketrequired View Post
    Funny how at one point she is concerned about horses from other States for miles around ending up coming to Tennessee for slaughter....I heard her express no concern for all those horses who are now traveling much farther to other COUNTRIES for slaughter.
    nor any concern for the "organic" animals that must be hauled hours and sometimes into other states to find slaughterhouses who will process,sheep,goats,fowl and swine for resale when the TN slaughterhouses will not

but I guess it's all right for "less noble" critters

Tamara in TN

Pro Slaughter here. Many cannot afford to euthanize or dispose. This can range in the neighborhood of 200-800 dollars. I live near a university that has an incinerator so euthanasia and disposal was only $80. But that is cheap and I hauled the horse in myself. If I had not hauled it in add maybe another $80 for a commercial hauler. Also take into consideration some people have to pay for the farm call, then some people cannot legally bury their horse on the property or do not own the property so you have to pay for someone to pick it up and dispose of it, which is very expensive also. Even though they are different, slaughter and euthanasia have the same outcome. Done ethically shooting one in the head at home or at a slaughter facility is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    NO ONE is making anyone take their horse to a slaughter house.
    Why would those that don't want to, want to keep those that do from it?
    I've always wondered the same thing about abortion. But I've found, over the years, that it's not a persuasive argument with the anti- faction.

Srsly, I think the problem - at least from my perspective - is the way slaughter is accomplished. I have plenty of friends who have their sheep slaughtered. They go with the culls to the slaughter plant and make sure it's done humanely. If something like that were available for horses, I wouldn't oppose it. I don't know if I'd ever do it with mine, but as you say, I wouldn't oppose someone else having their horses humanely slaughtered.

But the way slaughter is done now in this country? No. I can't support anyone putting any horse through such an experience.
    Last edited by pAin't_Misbehavin'; Apr. 4, 2010 at 08:52 PM.

Well things will never be perfect. But now horses that would live a shorter life going to slaughter here are either starving, let out to fend for themselves or being shipped hundreds of miles to other coutries.

stopping ABUSE, not USE is what they should strive for, even in slaughter, not banning slaughter.

There is no way to, say, fight dogs without it being abuse, we all agree with that. There is perfectly good ways to slaughter any animal, including horses, that is not abusive.

Calling all horse slaughter abuse because of some abuses there is ignoring the facts at hand, facts that shows us the many horses slaughtered properly, without abuse happening.
    Deserves to be re-stated.

P'aint Misbehavin'....But the way slaughter is done now in this country? No. I can't support anyone putting any horse through such an experience.
    Quotes are fromt he Bill...The amendments declare the intent "to encourage the location of equine slaughter and processing facilities in Tennessee and provide for the operation of such facilities in a sanitary, safe, and humane manner, with such facilities to be licensed, permitted, inspected, and regulated by the department of agriculture."
    Unquoted text from author of article linked. Quoted text is Niceley TN. Niceley says bringing horse slaughter home would stop such cruelty because state regulations for transport and slaughter would be more humane. "My goal is to have the best, most modern, most humane slaughterhouses in the world right here in Tennessee." He says his bill would create a "friendly environment" for perhaps a firm from China to construct an equine slaughterhouse in a state that's in "the heart of horse country, so they" — the horses, not the Chinese — "would have a short trip."
    None of the quotes from the representative seem like he means to do anything but look at more humane ways and enforcements concerning horse slaughter.

The author of that article also puts this very professional touch at then end, which really shows how firm a non-emotional footing her research is based on...

Niceley's proposal ultimately recalls — at least to those familiar with English literary history — an essay written by Jonathan Swift published way back in 1729. In "A Modest Proposal," Swift suggests that the starving Irish could relieve their plight — and turn their children from burden to public benefit — by selling their offspring as food for rich gentlemen and ladies. Swift's essay, however, was a savage satire attacking British policies in the Emerald Isle. Frank Niceley, on the other hand, isn't kidding.
    Sure. That last bit really makes me take her arguement much more seriously.

THINK of the CHILDREN!

NJR