The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adjusting a Kieffer saddle?

I need to get the tree adjusted on my Kieffer. Does anyone know where I can get this done in Delaware or the surrounding area? Thanks.

I'm on the opposite side of the country from you, but as a Kieffer lover I'll share my experience. The first time I had one adjusted, I went to a less-qualified saddle fitter and she sent it to some guy in Virginia who, according to her, is one of the only Kieffer-certified guys in the country (or was at the time), but I'm not sure that's the truth. He did do a very good job and it was very cheap, although I was saddle-less for 3 weeks.

The second time I had it done by another more qualified local saddle fitter, who was not certified by the manufacturer but did a very good job on a more major adjustment (the first time I had bought the saddle to fit the horse and only needing minor tweaking to get it perfect, the second time I just had the saddle lying around and needed serious tweaking to fit the new horse). It was slightly more expensive (but not much, and I speak as someone on a very tight budget), but I got the saddle back in 3 days.

My advice would be to simply call around to local saddle fitters and ask them. There is probably someone in your area who can do it, or who knows someone who can.

Sorry if you need recommendations for a saddle fitter, I can't help you there. I was told by both people that Kieffers are some of the easiest saddles to adjust, though, if that helps any.

Hello! This guy is located in Maryland. I was going to send my saddle to him when I was riding a particular horse in lessons (my saddle was barely not wide enough). Almost immediately after I made the decision to send my saddle I wound up getting my own horse and my saddle fits him great so I didn't need to get it adjusted.

http://www.mdoutbackleather.com/index.html