The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows 2010

Out of the Starting Gate – The 2010 Thoroughbred Celebration series is underway!
    Picture perfect blue skies and a new logo, designed by artist Sue Simon, kicked off the first of three Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows featuring Off the Track Thoroughbreds. It was an inspiring two-day Hunter/Jumper competition that once again showcased the versatility of ex-racehorses in their transition “from starting gate to in gate.” The East Complex of the Virginia Horse Center was transformed to pay homage to Thoroughbred Racing. The grandstands were colorfully decorated with rows of jockey silks, sponsor boards and racing memorabilia. The show office was dubbed the Racing Secretary's Office and the Clerk of Scales was found at the in gate area. The announcer's table was appropriately labeled Paddock Judge and the honorable Glenn Moody (a nationally rated "R" judge) was the Steward.
    Highlights of the March show included the inaugural Fasig-Tipton Model Class. This competitive class was won by the grey mare, Pres's Ha Ha (by Meadow Mango, out of Absolute Won – who last raced in 2007), owned and handled by Lexi Robinson, Winticomack Farm of Virginia. Fasig-Tipton is a world renowned Thoroughbred racing sales company and generously donated prizes for each of the ribbon winners of this class. We were delighted to have the youngest exhibitor of the show, 11-year old Cabel Graham of Maryland, competing in our Pleasure classes aboard East Side Johnny, who last raced in March 2009. Our youngest horse of the show was No Halo, (4/12/2006) who raced at CharlesTown and came to his new owner, Royce Evans of Maryland, through the CANTER Mid Atlantic program. The silent auction raised nearly $1,000 for Thoroughbred rescue and proceeds were given to Blue Horse Charities, New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program, and Thoroughbred Placement and Rescue, Inc.
    The Virginia Horse Center was honored to host the Retirement Ceremony of R Huey. R Huey is owned by Julia Wendell and Barnett Warner of Maryland, who raced him. R Huey spent his post racing days as an eventer and show jumper. Julia loaned R Huey to Hannah Ong, also of Maryland, in 2007 so that she could learn from "the master." As the song "Run For The Roses" played over the loudspeakers, the chestnut gelding elegantly trotted into the arena with rider Hannah Ong astride. There was not a dry eye in the building during the reading of the biography of this 22-year old son of Time For A Change, out of My Little Guest. Hannah tearfully dismounted, untacked, and led him out of the arena in the halter that has been with him since his racing days. R Huey will live out his days on the farm with those who have loved and cared for him all of his life.
    The Virginia Horse Center Foundation is dedicated to the promotion of Off the Track Thoroughbreds, and through the Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows, will continue to offer equestrians who partner with these horses a friendly and first class venue. Excitement is already building for the next show which is slated for June 12-13, with the final show of the 2010 “Triple Crown” series to be held on November 20-21. For more information about these shows, please visit the Virginia Horse Center website: horsecenter.org

Become a FAN on FACEBOOK - when we reach 300 we'll be doing a drawing for a special prize...just type in Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows to find us!

Default Facebook Fans

We are a mere 8 Fans away from a drawing for 3 fun prizes! Come join us on Facebook, type in Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows and look for our new logo! We hope to see you at our June 12-13, 2010 horse show!

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Is your only web presence on Facebook? I'm an FB hater (sorry, I know I am in the minority) and would love to keep up with your activities if possible.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me