The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bits: Copper or German Silver? info on copper mullen eggbutt

I need a new bit, as my mare has decided she likes my gelding's trail riding bit, and I refuse to take him trail riding in her good bridle.

The bit in question is an eggbutt mullen, stainless steel, that I started him in as a baby. I trail ride him in it because he is terribly annoying in his constant chewing on the bit, as in metal meets molars in anything with a joint. Since he goes on a loose rein, he can deal with a mullen so I don't go crazy listening to him

With the mare, I am looking to try either a german silver loose ring mullen or a copper eggbutt mullen. She has gone in a plain copper snaffle before, and she seemed to do OK in it compared to stainless. I've not tried her in german silver.

She is not a chewer, so teeth marks on copper are not an issue. I prefer the look of an eggbutt, but don't mind a loose ring.

So is german silver really that much better than copper?
    Last edited by Hampton Bay; Apr. 7, 2010 at 04:49 PM.

Bumping this back up. Anyone have any opinions on copper vs. german silver? I have not used GS before. Do horses tend to be more accepting of one vs. the other?

She has just decided that she DOES NOT appreciate any joints. Since she's 19 and working at second and a touch of 3rd, I let her make that decision.

If she ends up preferring the stainless, it's not a huge deal. I can use whichever one she DOESN'T prefer on him, until he is older and more trained and I feel safe taking him on the trails in a hackamore.

if you find an eggbutt mullen in GS or copper PLEASE let me know where I can get one too Having said that, my limited experience is that my horses have had wetter mouths and been more frothy in copper than gs, but I've seen more english bit mouthpieces designed in styles I prefer out of gs than copper, most copper on english bits I've found has been just incorporated in the nature of rollers or inlay, etc. All of the solid copper mouthpiece bits I've had have been western (and when given an option western I generally choose sweet iron anyhow).

So, in short, given my druthers, I'd choose copper over gs, but generally I don't have the option so I take what I can get
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Buck, sent you a PM. I've been looking for a bit like one of these for MONTHS, and only found them within the last few days.

I don't like German silver due to the nickel content--I react horribly to nickel, and after having seen a couple of horses with, essentially, burns from their own nickel sensitivities, I won't use it.

Aurigan is great, the horses seem to love it and it's nickel-free.

I like copper, but I've never tried german silver. Where are you finding mullen mouth copper???
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I have only found the copper mullen in ONE store, after literally searching everything I could come up with, so I am going to keep the source to myself until I order mine. Then I will be happy to share.

Since mine has shipped, here is the info. I am not sure how many they have in stock, and they only come in 5". The company has been very prompt in answering emails, and they have provided me a UPS tracking number.

http://www.worldchampionhorseequipme...ttsnaffle.aspx

Shipping is pricey, about $11. I asked if that was correct, and he said that UPS has just gotten very expensive for them to ship with. But when they are the only place that carries what you want, you pay the price

Strange, I only paid $7.92 + $2 handling
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

With my ISH gelding with the ultra-sensitive mouth, I find that any mullen, regardless of material, is superior to a jointed bit. He is currently working in a SS eggbutt mullen, and it's almost too much bit. But since we're both getting back into shape, and he's 17.2 and I'm 5'2", I'll wait to put him back into the rubber mullen loose ring until I can half halt him again.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    Strange, I only paid $7.92 + $2 handling
    The shipping price depended on the zip code, and I'm in central FL. You're probably closer, at least in UPS world. Mine went from Shelbyville TN to Knoxville and several other random stops, then Orlando, to Tampa, and then back to Lakeland area. Very convoluted.

ah , makes sense. my bit just arrived, quite nice, very pleased. A little sad that it has a $20 price tag on it (must've been hanging in their store), while I paid $32 on the website, but oh well.

And, sitting here with the bit in hand, I tasted the copper mouthpiece, and then compared the taste to the SS sides I detect a very different taste, the copper has a wang.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Wink

"A wang"?!?!?

I didn't know bits had wangs. And I thought we were supposed to keep things G rated around here.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    "A wang"?!?!?

I didn't know bits had wangs. And I thought we were supposed to keep things G rated around here.
    ooh ooh mind in the gutter.... naughty esg!

yes, a wang a twangy wang to be exact. with aftertaste.

Well mine was supposed to be here today, but UPS strikes again. Apparently they got the wrong street number or something. Go figure. Website says it has been fixed and should be here tomorrow. But then it also said it would be here today....

Copper definitely has a different taste than stainless steel does. My mare has been ridden in copper and does like it, so I'm sure she will not be bothered by the "wang".

Considering you can't find a SS mullen eggbutt for $22, I'm not shocked the tag is incorrect. Copper especially has gotten expensive. Hence why my druggie neighbors would steal things, strip any copper wiring/tubing out, and sell it to buy Sudafed to make meth.