The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare has neuro problem, can I get her insprcted with decent scores?

I might be getting a really nice AHS mare but she comes with a few kinks. She is not inspected and is 100% sound. As a yearling she got flipped over by the farrier and got a lesion on her spine so she moves really funny behind. She picks up her hocks in a kind of jerky way looks kind of wobbly.

Had she not had this injury I have no doubt the mare would pass inspection with good scores. Her full sister is an EMC and was the highest scoring mare at her inspection (7.33 I believe) and her half sister is winning at Prix St. George. So my question is are they sympathetic to unsound mares and would I be able to get her to pass with decent scores?

TIA
    "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

Yes, it's possible to get her inspected and approved into a studbook.

Decent scores? No, not if you're considering decent scores to be like 7+. They won't say things like, "well, her trot's really bad, but we can see it would have been terrific if she hadn't been injured, so we'll score her an 8!"

However, as an AHS mare, she only needs to get 6.0 or greater, with no score below 5.0, in order to get into the Main Marebook.

If she scores at least a 5.0 with no score below 4.0, she will make it into the Marebook.

They WILL take into consideration that she had an injury, but they pretty much have to score what they see before them that day.

If her full and half sister are that great, it's likely that the judges will aware of that, and if your mare produces a stunning foal at the inspection--both of those things would be taken into consideration as well.

She still might get good scores on the things that are unrelated to movement--head, neck, shoulder and saddle position, breed/sex type, overall impression, front and hind leg conformation--that type of thing.

So are you going to tell us what her breeding is??

Shes Domiro/Palladium/Duft I. She is definatly a bigger old school mare but she is really well put together mare. Her full sister is FANTASTIC to ride.

I will try and get pics. If I do go through with this Im going to need boyfriend suggestions.
    "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

If I were you, I would contact the AHS office for their thoughts and recommendations about inspection. They are very easy to work with.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I don't think you'd have any problem. I have a Han mare who fractured a facet joint in her neck as a 2 year old and when she was inspected at 3 she was still not right behind and had minimal impulsion, suspension and elasticity.

She got something like a 6.5 overall, plenty good enough to be in the AHS main mare book. Sure, wasn't the elite candidate she otherwise might have been, but after going through all of the heartache with her injury, being in the MMB with the potential for a legitimate breeding future was such a relief.

Considering the weight of conformation and correctness, if you mare is good in those elements, I don't think you'd have any trouble gettng her to be MMB.

We inspected a mare with EPM at the GA Oldenburg inspection last year. She has some motor control issues with her hind end and she did not get stellar scores, but she did make it into the MMB.

More than anything I would be concerned about her accidentally stepping on a foal. I think I'd be too nervous to breed a neuro mare, personally.

I know a horse with a similar injury, and that horse is not safe to be around. Sometimes the horse is great, normal even, and sometimes it just falls out of nowhere.

And no, they are not sympathetic. They judge what is in front of them. They might take into consideration the fact that the horse is injured, but they can't judge what they can't see. The judges can't just say something like "well, we have no idea what she really moves like, but she is probably has a 9 trot". That's just not fair.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud