The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Exracer, have you considered Depo Injections???

Originally posted by Coup De Des:
    Exracer, have you considered Depo Injections???
    Yes, but Depo can have some horrible side effects. I know several people who were miserable on it, and it's not a risk I want to take (unlike the pill, once you're injected you can't stop the hormones until they wear off several months later). There are also studies that show links between Depo and osteoporosis/decreased bone density. I already have bad joints, don't need that on top of it! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    Future Re-Rider
    "Take care of your memories, for you cannot relive them." [Bob Dylan]

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Yet one more reason to be eternally grateful to have gone through menopause at an extremely early age. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

As another poster with severe Endo, I've thought at times that the only solution was to put a sheep between my legs. But I'm not sure I'd go for the Diva cup. At least I know what to expect with the "torpedoes", as my husband calls them.

I just can't shake the image of that cup coming out in a fall at a show---brings a new meaning to "ass over teakettle." http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

demi, thanks for this topic!

Add me to the list of people who find tampons uncomfortable, I can handle them during the day, but absolutely cannot sleep in them. Lucky for me I don't have bad periods so I only need them usually 3 days every 6 weeks or so.

If you really want gross, I just risk it all at night and wash undies in the morning if needed...

I am definitely going to try this product. So, has anyone ridden in one?

mare-bear Guest

I have one, and ride in it just fine. You only have to empty it a couple of times a day (after the first day or two, I just do it morning and night)... so you likely wouldn't have to deal with it during a horse show day. If you do, just pull it out, empty, wipe the inside with TP, stick it back in. It's not that bad, and I find it more comfortable than tampons. Much better for the environment as well. Additionally, our house has a septic system, and tampons are definitely not a good thing to flush down it. And one thing that does ick me out somewhat is having a bloody tampon sitting in the bathroom garbage.

Default Depo

I'll say Depo can have some bizarre side affects. I was thrilled when they came out with it...tried it...ruined my body. Got the first shot, by the time I went in for shot #2 three months later I walked in with my weird side affects and darned near punched the doctor out. The issues? When I walked into that office for the first shot...I weighed 102, wore a size 1-2, was on weight gaint shakes to keep my weight up. When I walked in for my second shot...I weighed 164, wore a size 12-14, had ruined my arthritic knee and both arthritic ankles, had a host of massive new stretch marks from gaining weight so quickly (got less stretch marks from having children) had massive acne issues, much of my hair had fallen out and what didn't was greasy as heck. Weight gain is a normal side affect...mine ran rampant. I also wasn't able to lose any weight afteer going off of it...got tested and found out it had pretty much shut my metabolism off. A single potato chip and I'd gain weight. Nowadays it's a constant battle for me to keep my weight down, I did finally lose the weight after 3 years when my metabolism crept up a tiny bit...but can still gain weight incredibly fast even now...7 years after first trying it. Now I'm a size 4 and even though I worked out regularly before I *have* to work out religiously to keep my weight manageable. I hit the weights a minimum of 1 hour daily, one day off weekly. Miss a day and I gain a pound or two.
    Not a fun side affect for me, although many take it without these issues I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Yikes MistyBlue! That's terrible.

I've heard too much bad stuff about it to go on it. My old doctor completely dismissed all the concerns I had about it and tried to get me to do it. I'm glad I didn't listen to him. I switched to a different doctor who shared my concerns and listened to them. I tried the pill again, but it wasn't working so now I'm not doing anything.
    Future Re-Rider

I have a DivaCup. Love it. I could go through 2 SuperPlus tampons in an hour, but I only need to empty the cup once in the morning and once at night. I find it way more comfortable than tampons. No problems with it while riding or while doing yoga.

I find it amazing that so many folks here are so squicked out by their own bodies.

Never heard of them until now, what an education I am getting from this BB. A diaphragm works the same way as I found out by accident years ago. Now I'm past the age where these issues concern me LOL.

Default Clip the end

I used Instead for a while but had a few bad leaking incidents due to things like coughing, and switched to the Diva cup a few years ago, and love it. I'm also one of those "change the tampon every hour and wear a pad for the first couple days and still stain my saddle" women, and I can go 4 or 5 hours leak free with the cup even during the first couple days, and up to 10 or 12 hours after that. I wear a panty liner for the first couple days just in case I spring a leak, but it seldom happens and if it does, it's minor.

For newbies, one word of warning - practice. It can take a couple of cycles til you're comfortable getting it in and positioned right so it works and you don't feel it. Once you get the hang of it, it's foolproof.

Did anyone else end up clipping the end off? Mine was uncomfortable when I was riding with that piece of pointy rubber poking me from the inside, so even though the directions say not to do it, I clipped off most of that pointy part. It's worked just as well, and I've never had any problems getting it out.

Now for the true confession - is anyone else who uses them oddly fascinated with monitoring the flow with the measurement markings? I use a 2 ounce day as justification for going to bed early with a good book and a cup of tea!

Quote Originally Posted by RixChik
    I used Instead for a while but had a few bad leaking incidents due to things like coughing, and switched to the Diva cup a few years ago, and love it. I'm also one of those "change the tampon every hour and wear a pad for the first couple days and still stain my saddle" women, and I can go 4 or 5 hours leak free with the cup even during the first couple days, and up to 10 or 12 hours after that. I wear a panty liner for the first couple days just in case I spring a leak, but it seldom happens and if it does, it's minor.

For newbies, one word of warning - practice. It can take a couple of cycles til you're comfortable getting it in and positioned right so it works and you don't feel it. Once you get the hang of it, it's foolproof.

Did anyone else end up clipping the end off? Mine was uncomfortable when I was riding with that piece of pointy rubber poking me from the inside, so even though the directions say not to do it, I clipped off most of that pointy part. It's worked just as well, and I've never had any problems getting it out.

Now for the true confession - is anyone else who uses them oddly fascinated with monitoring the flow with the measurement markings? I use a 2 ounce day as justification for going to bed early with a good book and a cup of tea!
    I agree with practicing. I was so frustrated at first (which only made it more difficult to get in). But now it's easy to insert, I can tell when it's in right, and never have a problem.

I did clip the end off... not all of it, but a little bit of it. I grab it from the base anyhow, so for me I don't need it all that much.

And yes, it's interesting to be able to keep track of how much you're flowing. Since I don't exactly have healthy periods, sometimes it's surprising to have two-three ounces before lunch time (you can't keep track of your flow like that when using tampons/pads). Physically seeing that I flow more ounces in one day than most people do for their whole period makes me feel less guilty about staying home from work and class, and being in bed with my dogs and a good book!
    Future Re-Rider

Talking

Yeah - saw an ad in a magazine. Never really thought about it.
    But this thread has really cracked me up.
    All I can say is:

THANK GOD FOR MENOPAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not there yet - but I'm soooooooo close...
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Ive got one too. Definately clip the end if you intend to ride in it! if it tilts you get poked, and poked, and poked.. it really hurts. I cut the end off of mine completely.

When you use a porta potty, take a plastic water bottle with some water and a titch of vinegar in it to rinse it and your hands with, or baby wipes.

I too am surprised by the number of people who think thier body is dirty.

Ive done the cloth diapers and pads too. I found the environment to be more important than any issues I might have.

People with endometriosis you will find (hopefully) that if you use natural products, diva cup, organic cotton pads and tampons your flow should lessen. The chemicals in the origional type products are too harsh for such a sensitive area and cause irritation and heavier flows.

Ladies, THANK YOU! I had never heard of the Diva Cup or Instead before now. And Lunapads -- wow! I've ordered one cup and seven light day Lunapads. I LOVE the thought of helping out the environment (yes, I'm one of those people who lay awake at night worring about the landfills and disposable diapers!). And from what some of the posts have been saying, the Diva Cup might be the answer to my heavy-flow days. Thank you, thank you, oh wonderful COTHER's!
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

What is a Lunapad? I have been following this thread but must have missed something.

BAC:

go to: www.lunapads.com

They're (Lunapads) alternative cotton menstrual products
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

That's great, CanterQueen! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.
    Future Re-Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge
    Wow. You learn something new every single day here on planet Earth.
    So the idea of sticking something that looks that, well, bulky up inside of me makes me shudder. I imagine it would just be hideously uncomfortable.
    Well it can't be much different from a diaphragm and that can't be felt at all once its in properly. Takes a little practice but soon you can do it with your eyes closed, and you CAN'T FEEL IT AT ALL. I'm assuming the Diva cup is much the same.

Question very interesting!

This has certainly been an enlightening thread. I had never heard of the DivaCup and I too thought it was a bra for the well-endowed!

I am interested in giving it a try... I despise tampons, they just don't fit no matter what brand I try and pads? fagettaboutit. I wonder... is it safe to "practice" insertion when you do not have your period? If I practice during, I have the feeling the little cup will be tossed out the bathroom window in a fit of PMS rage.