The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hollow "gelding" sound when trotting, but his sheath was just cleaned!

My sister's horse is making that hollow "gelding" sound when trotting, but his sheath was just cleaned, and was de-beaned.

Do some geldings just make that noise all of the time?

I don't want him going out in public and people thinking his mom and/or aunt don't keep his boy parts clean!!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Short answer: Yes

No one who knows geldings will 'think' his noise is because he's unclean. The sound has something to do with air/pockets/relaxation or all of the above.

I had a gelding who 'made the noise' - plus was a roarer, AND he had a little 'snare drum' sound that he made with his butt cheeks when he was really working and had some sweat between his legs.....we sounded like an orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by TBMaggie View Post
    Short answer: Yes

No one who knows geldings will 'think' his noise is because he's unclean. The sound has something to do with air/pockets/relaxation or all of the above.

I had a gelding who 'made the noise' - plus was a roarer, AND he had a little 'snare drum' sound that he made with his butt cheeks when he was really working and had some sweat between his legs.....we sounded like an orchestra
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Many times that noise comes from working with their backs hollow and their abdomens relaxed. Work with him to engage his abdominals and reach under himself with his hind legs. Working up hills at a strong walk (not trot, not canter) does wonders, as well as shoulder-ins. He needs the horsey equivalent of "crunches". Not only will that noise quit, but he will carry himself better too! Good luck, it can take a while for those muscles to build up.

My late horse's sheath always made that noise after I cleaned it. Never when it was dirty....only after I cleaned it (and yes, I made sure to rinse all soap/smegma out). It usually went away after a few days. But god, it was annoying, lol. The best was trying to explain to my mom what that sound was.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

We have one gelding who makes the noise when he is tense. He gets tight all over, then makes the noise when moving along in harness or under saddle. He is kept clean, no problem there.

I have known a couple other gelding who also get stiff and make the noise when being worked. Maybe they aren't warmed up enough, may be resistand to what is wanted, but that is when they make the gelding sound. Relaxed, working happily for you even at a collected gait or frame, they don't make noises.