The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wharton State Forest, NJ Trails?

Wondering if anyone rides in Wharton State Forest, NJ & could give me some tips? Particularly from the Carranza Memorial? Is there room to park a small 2 horse trailer there? I normally ride in the Assunpink (Monmouth County) and have a WMA pass - - do I need anything else to ride in State forest? Sorry if this topic has been covered before; I did a search and didn't find anything.

this info is about 3 years old so keep that in mind.
    yes there is room to park a 2 horse trailer.
    back then you did not need a permit to ride (and i believe that's still the case).
    there were some limits imposed in portions of pine barrens regarding horse access to natural water sources. maybe someone else can chime in with more detail.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

There is PLENTY of parking unless you go on the 4th of July weekend or thereabouts when the folks gather for a memorial at Caranza's Memorial

For those that don't know, he was supposed to be the Mexican Lindbergh. Flew up to NY area to represent his country at some sort of event. He was delaying his return waiting for better weather - there were really bad with loads of T-storms (typical July NJ weather). His General telegraphed him to tell him he was no sort of a man if he wouldn't fly in weather... so he did. The plane was struck by lighting and crashed in the middle of the Pine Barrens in Southern Jersey. He was found by a blueberry picking boy and recovered by the local VFW. They hold a memorial every year for him.

We've parked there when there were 10-12 or more carriage trailer rigs. There is also a local Tennesee Walker barn that rides there.

I don't think you need a pass, but you might want either a trail map or guide. If you haven't ridden in the Pine Barrens before - it all looks the same

Check with the folks on this web-site, they drive down that way frequently
    http://www.gardenstatehorse.org/

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Default Trails

IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680