The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone painted the inside of their barn?

Has anyone painted (not stained or varnished) the inside of their barn and what did you like or dislike about the results?

Thanks!

I had a trainer who painted the her barn interior white. It was nice and bright, but always looked a little gungy.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

The entire inside of my barn is painted in acrilyc enamel, high gloss, white. We did 2 coats 15 years ago and aside from where the darn horses have scratched, worn or chewed the walls, the paint is holding up. I like it because it seals the wood, makes the whole inside way lighter and originally gave a finished look to the place- before the horses began their wear and tear... It needs to be redone, now obviously. Once a year we pressure washed the interrior and the paint never peeled or anything.
    The girl at the hardware store where we bought the paint, after we bought it, said "You should not use acrylic, only oil paint" and wouldn't say why, just said "You'll find out". Still waiting to find out...I think 15 years is pretty good for any paint to hold up.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I worked in a two barns that were completely varnished on the inside. I loved how it showed off the wood and just seemed to "glow". They also seemed easier to clean.

To attest to their durability one of the barns was originally varnished about 30 years ago so there was some staining and it did darken but overall it held up great!

One of the barns I boarded at had painted and it was AWFUL. I'm sure they didn't use the best quality, but they did all the stall walls and well... everything. We had to repaint our stalls every year or it looked like a dump. Chipping, peeling, flaking, etc. Yuck. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I personally stained and am in the process of varnishing.

My stalls are 2x6 boards up to 5 feet high, then OSB above that. I painted the boards a Williamsburg blue, because I figured white would show a lot of dirt, and then painted the OSB white so I'd have more reflected light.

I did it three years ago and tt's held up really well so far.

The kick walls and pipes in my stalls were painted w/ enamel paint, Ford Tractor Gray, which actually has a soft moss green tint to it. It is light enough to keep the area bright but dark enough so all the dust & horse mess doesn't pop out at you.

I appreciate all the input.....does anyone have pictures??? We're using "used" wood so I wanted something to make it uniform.

Mine's blue inside the stalls.

Page through until you get to the stalls.

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow

WOW that's beautiful! I would love to live there......and I love the stalls......how long have they been painted with horses going in and out?

We painted our metal stalls five years ago white.
    We need to powerwash and will repaint it all again, as soon as it gets warm enough and the wind quits blowing.
    It is easy to do, doesn't take long with a paint sprayer:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1270319178

We used to only have three bars above and the horses were sticking their heads out, so we cut two out and added a third one last summer, that is why that one is not painted yet, will be painted with everything else this spring, as we have finished our remodeling.

Painting will require that you repaint every so often, so you have to weigth that with staining and sealing.

Since we had metal, we had to paint.
    With wood, you have all kinds of alternatives.

I worked for several years in a barn which the inside was painted white. The the interior of the stalls were natural, it was just the fronts. The paint was glossy which prevented dirt and dust from sticking easily - we hosed the entire inside off 2-4 times a month to keep it clean - and also to wet down the hallway

Great barn. Loved the white, it was so bright and with just a little effort looked SO clean.
    Last edited by Deuce; Apr. 4, 2010 at 02:08 PM.

http://tinypic.com/r/2zia2d4/5

The stall doors at my work at unpainted, but the fronts were given a coat of varnish.

http://tinypic.com/r/33axc2u/5

This is the new part, again just a coat of varnish.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

I stained the interior of the barn aisle where the stalls are an off white with brown trim. I touch it up every year and completely re-stain every 3 yrs. I wanted it as bright as possible and am not sorry I did it. I do hose the stall fronts at least once through the summer and dust at least once in the winter.

The opposite side from the stalls is white metal siding to keep it bright. Until I pressure washed the metal and took off the 'shine', I didn't need an additional light on that side to groom, but did add a grooming light afterwards. I hose that side down every few yrs as well.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have standard tongue n grove wood stall partion boards and around the walls but the walls above boards its Exterior Plywood. I painted the plywood white 2 coats BINs and top coat high gloss white. Really reflects stall lights makes barn cheerful bright and so far not messy since its above the poop line.
    Also wash stall walls above water proof panels. Thinking of doing ceiling and feed room next.
    Sweep dust off with broom or blower off much easier than plain wood.

We painted the ceiling in ours white. It has helped a lot to keep the barn brighter and its also easier to keep the cobwebs down on the painted surface.

I want to do my stall fronts next. Its all rough sawn 2 x 6 oak and poplar, so it holds a LOT of dust. I'll probably do them white with black trim, as I'm planning on re-painting my fences black.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

i have not personally painted a barn interior, but i once worked at a place that had the entire inside of the barn painted black.

it was really sharp-looking.

except that the floor of the barn was stone dust.

stone DUST.

that stuck to the black walls.

and had to be wiped off by yours truly with a damp rag every time ms. trainer had someone in to look at a horse.

that was really, REALLY not fun. if you're going to paint, please be mindful of your flooring, and use a dirt-friendly color!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

We painted the inside "Antique Beige" which initially looked ....peachy pink. My friends asked.."why did you paint your barn pink" ARRGGH.."People, it's Antique Beige, not pink!"

It has held up well, we did acrylic as well, initially painted in '97, redone about four years ago. This time I went for a more antiquey Antique Beige. I have kickboards half way up the stall wall so only top half of the wall is painted.

We pressure wash 1xyear. No chipping so far. It makes the interior look very big and bright. People always think the stalls are bigger than 12x12. I would do it again.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by gallupgirl View Post
    WOW that's beautiful! I would love to live there......and I love the stalls......how long have they been painted with horses going in and out?
    Thanks, it really is a dream. My husband is an architect and he designed it for me, when we were 1st dating.......or was it before we were really "dating"?

We built the place 7 years ago and they were painted then. Nothing has been painted since. We did power wash it to get the cobwebs off (before cowgirljenn wrote an article about it and had it published in a magazine - just so proud that we made it into a magazine!!) about a year ago. With the wooden stall walls up to about 4' high that stops any kicking etc chipping the paint. There are a couple of bits on the doors where one of them has run their teeth over it, but generally there is very little damage in the 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    We painted the inside "Antique Beige" which initially looked ....peachy pink. My friends asked.."why did you paint your barn pink" ARRGGH.."People, it's Antique Beige, not pink!"
    ::snort:: that would be my luck. I am one of the most anti-pink people there is and I would totally do something like that on accident.