The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Source for Neue Schule bits?

I'm on a bit search, and I was hoping to actually SEE one of these before I buy. I want a 5 1/2 " full cheek/lozenge - I'm not sure if I want the 16mm or 14mm. I love buying online, but some things you just want to have in your hand first, you know?

I've looked at the kk ultra, and the 18mm is too fat for my horse. I have a version of this bit from Cotswoldsport that I LOVE but I only have a 5" and a 6" - no 5 1/2". It's also just a little fat. I'm not sure if they even make a 5 1/2". At the moment, their website appears to be down too.

Are there actually any US sources of Neue Shcule bits, or are they all online purchase only right now?

Any opinions on the 14 vs 16 mm width?

Thanks,
    m

I don't know what state you are in, but http://www.hastilowusa.com/index.shtml

Same problem. It's too far to visit. =( Thanks for the link though. I already have respect for them if they sell Black Country saddles! (I love mine) I think I'll just have to suck it up and buy one sight unseen. Sigh.

Where are you located?
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

The Cheshire Horse is carrying a few of them for very good prices. Other than that, it's either Hastilow or ordering direct from Europe. I own two NS bits and actually preferred the price, speed, and customer service direct from Europe!

FWIW, my horse used to go in the KK Ultra Eggbutt 18mm that was too thick for him. We put him in my trainer's KK B-Ring Baucher 16mm and he loved it, but we knew he'd probably like an even thinner bit. He's now gone for three years now in the 14mm NS Training Lozenge Baucher. It is not pencil thin by any means, it's a nice width.

IMO they are darn close in design to the KK ultras. If you have a source for the KK's nearby, the KK 14mm and 16mm closely approximate the size of the NS 14mm and 16mm. If it would help you any, I could take a picture/short video of my 18mm Eggbutt versus my Training Lozenge Baucher. PM me.

Thanks for the replies, all. I'm in RI for those that asked. Dover is nearby, so maybe I'll check and see if they have 14mm and 16mm kk ultras to get an idea for the size.